| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:53 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Full title: The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook: Delicious Dairy-Free Cheeses and Classic "Uncheese" Dishes by Jo Stepaniak ... I just heard of this today and it sounds incredible. Reviews?

Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:06 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

a classic!

I don't love everything I've made (the red wine & beans cheese comes to mind), but I really like most of it. I love the nacho sauce - probably the dish I've made the most.

Borrow it from the library and make some dishes!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:21 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Oh, this is a book that has been well discussed on the old board. It's too bad the archive isn't available yet (that I know of) because there have been many useful discussions/suggestions.

Anyway, probably the most important thing to know about the book is that most of this stuff tastes NOTHING like cheese. This is not to say that it isn't full of savory, tangy, creamy deliciousness that can fill the void giving up cheese leaves behind. It's just best that your expectations be realistic. It seems like everyone has their own favorites from the book. I know I've definitely found a few staples. But, it's probably a book best checked out from the library first.

If you go to the amazon page for the book, the first review, "A long one" is very informative. I definitely agree with the reviewer that the lemon juice can be a bit much, but instead of reducing it I just sub ACV which provides tang without overtaking the other flavors.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:49 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Here's some of the discussion from the old board -

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... =firefox-a

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:03 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I love the gooey grilled cheese sandwich, especially with some oven baked ore ida steak fries on the sandwich. (shut up! it's good that way)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:51 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

It's hit and miss. Partly because it's hard to imagine what the finished product will taste like and partly because cheezy is a very subjective taste.

I love the broccoli-rice casserole and crock cheese. I've tried a handful of other recipes that I either felt "meh" about or threw out uneaten.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:31 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Seconding the broccoli-rice casserole. I have made this twice in a month after seeing kmouse blog about it the first time and seeing MollyJade bring it up in another thread. It takes three minutes to throw together, put in the oven for an hour, and boom.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:47 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

The original Uncheese Cookbook is one of my all-time favourite cookbooks. I love it so much. I have the updated Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook as well, but I need to branch out with the recipes. I make the Gee Whiz Spread, Cheez-A-Roni, and Quick Bean Pizzas frequently. I think the desserts are pretty good too.

Jo Stepaniak was my guiding light when I first ventured down the vegan path many years ago. I love her books and think she's awesome. :-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:17 pm 
Married to the wolfman

So, about 75% of the book does not appeal to me at all. Her desserts sound straight up gross to me (sorry Jo!) and I've tried her block cheezes and am just not that thrilled with them.

BUT... the other 25% of the book has made the rest of it all worth it. There are so many good sauces in here. We eat the incredible mac'n'cheez (incredible? amazing? I forget what exactly it's called) sauce almost every week, on whole wheat noodles and whatever vegetables and protein we have around. My husband, who is an ovo-lacto veg, loves her nacho cheez sauce so much that he'd rather have that than like canned nacho sauce.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:31 am 
ugh

I've only had this for a little while so I haven't had much, but I liked the Gee Whiz spread, though I had it as a sauce on macaroni.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:05 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I like the Broccoli Cheez Casserole, Gooey Grilled Cheez, whatever they call the cheese sauce that uses white beans (especially good over broccoli and roasted potatoes), and a few others.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:22 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

jdfunks wrote:
I don't love everything I've made (the red wine & beans cheese comes to mind), but I really like most of it. I love the nacho sauce - probably the dish I've made the most.

Oh yeah, tell me about it. I don't _quite_ have that one memorized, but I'm close.

For bonus fun, add soy curls (maybe bust them up a bit smaller first, into like 1-inch bits). Soak the soy curls in your liquid of choice, and when you go to mix the water or non-dairy-milk-like-substance into the nacho sauce, add the soy curls so they soak stuff up and cook (or at least get warm) along with the sauce. It's fantastic.

I've also left out the cayenne and pepper and added in a ground-up chipotle or two instead. Yum.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:33 am 
Keepin' It Seal

I bought it when I saw it cheap at a library book sale, but I've never used it. Vegan cheezy things can be really gross sometimes, so I was afraid.
I've been wanting to try that broccoli casserole, though. everyone seems to like that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:19 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I've had this book for a few years and don't use it that often, but I've had good results with the recipes I've tried. My husband, who eats dairy, will eat the recipes from this book as long as I don't call them "cheez." Favorites are the french bread pizza, nacho cheese sauce (excellent on tofu "egg" breakfast sandwiches) and the brocolli rice casserole.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:25 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I really like the white bean boursin (and I think Mo had a lot of success with it too) and the French onion soup with gruyere. I've made a couple of other things, and like others have mentioned, they can be hit and miss. And I haven't made any of the block uncheeses because they (almost) all contain cashews. I'd say, if you can find it cheap, it's worth having, but try to check it out from the library (if possible) before committing to it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:37 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

The recipes I've made the most: white bean boursin (my favorite!), monterrey jack cheese and variations, and the muenster cheese. Seriously, the things I make most in this book are the block cheeses. I haven't made many of the dishes. I did make a few fondues, though. Everything I've made tastes a whole lot better the second day.

The only thing I've tried that was absolutely foul to me was the red wine/pinto bean one that Jdfunks mentioned earlier. It was way too much for me. Blech.

I liked this book much more after I hadn't eaten cheese for awhile because originally I was comparing everything to dairy cheese and didn't allow myself to like things based on their flavors.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:40 pm 

mixmaster_mo wrote:

I liked this book much more after I hadn't eaten cheese for awhile because originally I was comparing everything to dairy cheese and didn't allow myself to like things based on their flavors.

I think that's one of the reasons the crock cheese is so popular. How many people even eat dairy crock cheese?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:59 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I am not a fan. I think she over uses nutritional yeast in a lot of recipes and nothing that I made was even reminiscent of cheese, IMO. I will say that, when I bought the book, I read the author's totally unrealistic claims about the cheeziness, meltiness, bla bla. So she sets you up to be disappointed. I can see some value to some of the recipes if you have more realistic expectations. I did make the feta a few times, but it had something like half a cup of miso and had to marinate forever. And her chick cheeze was an idea that I built upon.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:30 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

mollyjade wrote:
mixmaster_mo wrote:

I think that's one of the reasons the crock cheese is so popular. How many people even eat dairy crock cheese?

*raises hand*

We used to get one of those cheese and meat gift things from my great-grandmother every year for Xmas. I've eaten both crock cheese and port wine cheese (and liked both). I still haven't made the port wine cheese in Ultimate Uncheese, but I think I'll avoid it based on everyone else's experience.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:23 am 
Saggy Butt

joyfulgirl wrote:
I've been wanting to try that broccoli casserole, though. everyone seems to like that.

I don't.

Do the grilled cheeses taste anything like Daiya grilled cheese(which I looove)?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:43 am 

lavegan wrote:
joyfulgirl wrote:

I don't.

Do the grilled cheeses taste anything like Daiya grilled cheese(which I looove)?

Not really. Lots of the recipes taste good, and they taste cheesy, but none of them taste like cheese.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:30 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i really love a few recipes in this book (i have the original version), but don't use them that often. my favorites: fettucine alfreda (i leave out the beans and also strain the sauce)--but this is so good over noodles with roasted beggies like fettucine primavera. love it very much. also, the grilled cheese and some of the block cheeses.

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

Post subject: Uncheese
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:07 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

What are everyone's favourites from this book? I think I've only made a few of the sauces. Are any of the fondues any good?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:26 am 
Cranky

Topics merged. Please search!

Also, fondue threads:
http://forum.theppk.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3927
http://forum.theppk.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3379

Post subject: Re: Uncheese
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:35 am 
ugh

Efcliz wrote:
What are everyone's favourites from this book? I think I've only made a few of the sauces. Are any of the fondues any good?

I like the South of the Border fondue.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman