| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: hula-hooping
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:34 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Bugink deAvocado wrote:
just for inspiration, here is a video I shot of a friend of mine hula hooping. My boyfriend made the mask and edited the video. The music is his band Satan's Answering Machine.

http://dialsatan.org/vids.html

haha! I like the mask

Louzilla wrote:
I don't have an LED hoop (boo), but there's an awesome chart on Hoop City that compares all the popular brands on a range of criteria! http://www.hoopcity.ca/page/led-hoop-reviews-and

Sweet, that chart rocks. I bought the glow hoop I have from superhooper, which is on that chart. It's the one with connections for fire wicks, extremely rattley.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:19 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Holy hooping hell, a friend of mine is getting her teacher certification and it involves videotaping a hooping class taught by you (the one getting certified) and so even though it was a beginner's class, it was still an hour and a half of hooping that I haven't gotten in a loooooong time. I'm going to be very sore tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:17 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

This thread hasn't been resurrected in a while.

I really want a smaller hoop.

That is all.

Oh wait, did I tell you guys that I keep getting bugged to teach a hoop dancing class right down the street from where I currently teach dance? I think it'd be really fun (and being a college student could really use the money), but I definitely don't think I'm qualified.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:58 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Update: I got a smaller hoop. I love it.

I hooped with other people on Friday! It was awesome, because it's always just me! And the one girl said we have to hoop together again sometime, and there's always hoops in the science building at our uni. woo!

I also videoed my hoop practice on Monday, it was sooo nice outside!! I've been practicing a lot more lately, and definitely feel the improvements but still have a long way to go.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:39 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

That's awesome! You can do a couple of things I can't (I can't vertical hoop to save my life and I don't know why), also the same thing happens to me when I try to hoop on one shoulder. I even had Brian watch the tutorial, watch me do it, and then tell me what I was doing wrong and he couldn't see the problem. I like that you skipped off to get the hoop, when mine goes flying I usually look at it for a second and sigh.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:16 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Thanks! Sometimes I can get the shoulder thing and sometimes I can't. I think the trick is when you bow your head out, make sure your shoulder is not caving forward *at all*. It needs to stick straight up. It's easy for it to come forward with your head.

And yeah, I usually just look at it and sigh too but decided to play it up since I was recording.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:28 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

You are super cute! I'm gonna steal my mom's hoop, last time I was over I noticed a random hula hoop in her garage; she said it was a gift and she never uses it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:40 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Okay, I absolutely regret not grabbing up my chance at a free sports hoop now, your hooping is amazing! I would take a class from you, you should teach it on a trial run.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:55 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Sports hoop might be different than a dance hoop Bekki. I got a fitness hoop my first time around and hooo boy, if you want to know how to get bruises, try using a 3 lb hoop for tricks. ._.

I'm totally rusty and haven't had time to prepare and I'm hooping in front of people tonight... my only consolation is that everything looks awesome with LED hoops... hopefully even dropping them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:09 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

thanks, bekki!

Good luck Nickalya!! I'm sure everyone will love you! What sort of event is it?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:14 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Roller derbyyyy. : )

ETA: My troupe leader earlier today was all like: "All that matters is attitude. This is a roller derby match, we've got to be all up in everyone's business... yo... and what not."

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:03 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

How'd it go??

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:30 am 
Saggy Butt

lycophyte wrote:
I'm hoping on making some hoops and possibly even taking a hooping class when I move! But I'm also into looking @ videos.

Its fun! And sosososo much easier when weighted. I'm bad at things like this and I do pretty well with a large weighted hoop. So don't write it off if you were bad as a kid

Any suggested online tutorials for making your own?

I want to do this with you!! I love hooping and I think it'd be awesome to make my own.

It's definitely a good way to work out your abs. I kept it up for a little over an hour once without dropping it and there was a definite ab-burning feeling afterwards.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:52 am 

I practiced for a little bit on Friday - unfortunately my bad shoulder has been acting up so it was a short practice, since i'd have to tape my hands to my side to stop me from doing lifts and stuff.

I usually hoop happily behind our garage - it's paved and we have a privacy fence so no one can really see me, but then my father-in-law was like, "So I watched you hula hoop the other day." And I was like, "Oh, that's not creepy." And now i've actually gotten worse about wanting to do it outside. But Brian is going to be training for a biathalon here in town, so I think i'm going to go to the park with him and hoop while he runs around.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:55 pm 

So, who's going to try this first?

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:46 pm 
Huffs Nooch

You are really good Louzilla! I have an exercise hoop but don't do anything like that with it. I won free drinks all night for our whole table in a restaurant a few months ago for keeping a toy hoop up for like a minute or something, I have never been so proud of myself before! I had no idea how difficult toy hoops are to keep up when I stuck my hand up and told everyone I could do it

Are the hoops used for dancing different from the ones used for fitness?

Also thanks for the info on making hoops, I want a smaller one but live on an island where nobody sells them and shipping hoops from the mainland is ridiculously expensive. I will def give that a go

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:06 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

ohmygoodness. I need to at least *try* that now, mbm! Good thing I don't have anywhere to be tomorrow.

and thanks jellybel! hoops made for dancing are usually lighter than ones for fitness (though not as light/flimsy as toy hoops), so that (as nickalya mentioned before) you don't get [as] covered in bruises when trying to trick with them.

I got booked for my first hoopdance performance! It's in a year. For a local May Day festival.

Nickalya, I'm still waiting to hear how your performance went!! (maybe you posted about it elsewhere and I missed it)

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:04 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Yeah it was the weight I was wondering about, I couldn't imagine doing any of those things with my hoop without causing myself an injury!

Looks so much more fun than what I have been doing though

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:53 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Great video, Louzilla!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:57 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Bleh! I forgot I was nervous here. It went really well, I didn't drop my hoop and everyone loves LED hoops. : P

The roller derby folks were really nice and they even paid us a bit for it too.

Video of the glow performance starts at about 29:30 http://www.livestream.com/vitvcasports/ ... 629877308d They cut out a REALLY great poi performance by our third person due to technical error or something.

I'm doing a double mini hoop performance with a lady I know on July 30th for a burlesque show... choreography is hard. ._. We each get a mini hoop and we're dressing up as red and orange sort of sexy aliens.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:10 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Great video! Sad I didn't get to see the poi performance, but you were awesome. The mini hoop performance sounds awesome too, and yeah... choreography is hard!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:40 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Smallish Vegan community, small number of Canadians, small number of Canadian hoopers... BUT. Is anyone going to Mad Skillz?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:45 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I teach my first hoop class tonight.

...i hope people actually show up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:58 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

How did it go Louzilla? I'm going to the store tomorrow to buy tubing, but I'm not sure what kind to buy! MBM, I know you said 160 psi and 3/4 diameter is good for beginners but I'm already pretty decent with a sport hoop so does that mean I should get a lighter tube?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:31 pm 

Possibly! One thing to keep in mind is that you can make the hoop heavier with water or even just tape adds weight, but you can't make it lighter. On the other hand, 3/4th inch tubing isn't like, so heavy it's going to hold you back. As you get better you get faster and it's easier to keep up lighter tubing, but I don't notice a huge difference between using my 1/2 inch hoop vs. my 3/4th inch ones in terms of weight. Most hardcore hoopers have 1/2 inch ones because they can make their hoops go crazy fast. I don't technically have a preference but I always seem to have the best luck with my 1/2 inch hoop. It's my beater hoop that I take outside and smack on the ground a lot so it's all torn up, but it's my favorite. I made my first hoop out of PEX and it was SO heavy and big, and then I got 1/2 inch tubing. It was such a huge difference and it was hard to keep such a light (in comparison) hoop up, but like I said, I don't think 3/4th inch is that much of a difference. I only got 3/4th inch tubing to sell hoops with.

I think the diameter of the hoop is more important, bigger hoops may be fine for just waist hooping, but when you want to do things like vertical hooping or off-body moves, you'll want something a little smaller.

So, hahaha, my totally unhelpful response is get whichever kind you want! The tubing itself isn't too pricey so honestly, if you get one and don't like it, you can go get a roll of the other. Depending on the size, it's only $11-15 for a 100 ft roll. Also, if the PSI is too low the tubing might be kind of flimsy, so at least get 120 psi.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next