| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: creative writers assemble!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:35 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I'm getting back into the swing of writing after a long hiatus caused by laziness. If I'm not actually writing, I should at least discuss writing - who's in?
Who else on the PPK writes for recreation or otherwise? When are you most inspired? How many pieces of work do you have on the go at one time? How many pieces have you completed? How would you describe your style? Anyone want to share a paragraph or two? I will if anyone else does. :p
Let's try to motivate each other.

Post subject: Re: creative writers assemble!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:26 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I just (mostly) finished a pilot script (will get tweaked), and I did a TV spec before that. I'll probably do another spec next. (I've got stuck on a short story that wasn't working, and decided it would work better as a script. So, suddenly, I've been writing scripts, and I really like them). I'm trying to decide on a show. I had an idea for the Walking Dead. I might go with that, though I wasn't sure I knew the characters well enough with just six episodes. I also have an ongoing prose story I need to work on, plus a couple just-started short stories.

My style? Yee gods. I'm pretty simple, I think. I like efficient sentences. I tend to work on 1-2 things at a time, while having several other projects on hiatus. I start way more than I finish. It's not really a matter of inspiration. If I get an idea, I hold onto it, and I write almost every day. If I'm not feeling one thing, I'll poke at something else.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:44 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I write! I'm most inspired, lately, when I'm supposed to be doing other things. Right now, I'm working on two things. I've finished loads of short stuff and tons of poetry, but I've never finished anything long to satisfaction. I've been on a bit of a roll lately (yay insomnia). My style is really verbose or really direct (it shifts so suddenly from piece to piece) and I get a little comma happy.

I would share something, but most of my work that hasn't been scrapped is on my long dead old computer.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:21 pm 
Grandfathered In

I (don't actually) write (anymore). I've written screenplays and kids stories. My current thing is a middle-grade book that stalled out around page 200 way too long ago. I think about it all the time. It is a constant source of shame and frustration.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:39 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i am going to put it out here and say that i am, again, a writer. i have written two books so far (both non fiction), several short stories, and i have some poetry published out there in the world. i have become a translator in recent years and not written anything original, but want to get back to writing. i am on this business trip at this very moment partially because it gives me a mini-sabbatical- there is work to be done on this trip. i have two very nice book ideas that i am planning to expand this year.
there, now i said it, i have to actually do it.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:14 am 

I used to want to be a writer, but then I developed serious writer's block after something that happened 15 years ago. A couple months ago, a friend who loves fanfic told me about a horrible writing prompt in a Glee fanfic community. The prompt pissed me off and me go what the fizzle... so I just had to write something. At first it was out of spite, but then it became something far more. Mainly because it was the first time I had been motivated to write in over a decade. I would say that my style is... I believe it's called "crack."

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:33 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I write. I'm still adapting/editing my Masters thesis, a YA book, to a manuscript worth sending out. I'm with Footface in that it is mostly a constant source of shame and frustration. But I do love the story, and I am (infrequently) working on it. I have another novel going, but I haven't touched it in over a year.

I've published short stories, some non-fiction, and too much dumb journalistic stuff I'm not proud of. I have been taking any writing project that comes at me (broke!) and it hasn't been the best for my creativity. I've had several plays produced, which was great, but I only seem to want to write fiction and creative non-fiction these days.

Writing and not writing are both torture. Not that it will stop me.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:38 am 

torque wrote:
i have two very nice book ideas that i am planning to expand this year.
there, now i said it, i have to actually do it.

Yes! Do it!

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:42 am 
Thinks Stonewall's jerquee tastes GREAT!

I write poetry and vignettes while on public transportation...

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:03 am 
Tortilla Rita's character account

I like to say I am a writer but then when NaNoWriMo creeps up every year I realize I've not written a damned thing since the last time.

I wrote about 900 poems as a teenager, and I'd really, really like to get back into the swing of writing stories. I'm not disciplined right now.

blog | vegan blog | twitter

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:25 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I write short stories, and have had a couple published in various places. They're not really straight-up horror, just... vaguely creepy, I guess. It's very rare that I get anything over about 1000 words finished, though. There's always that little voice in my head going, "You should be writing your thesis!"

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:47 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I write! I mostly write poetry and I do a lot of my internal processing via journal writing. I want to do more writing to actually share with other people. I like creative writing challenges (like, "Let's all write a poem about [insert topic here]") and would be totally into it if a bunch of us wanted to do that together and share our writing.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:53 am 
Inflexitarian

I'm a writer by trade, I do a little music journalism, but mostly write web content, which is pretty lame, but is better than a proper job.

I used to write short stories and have written more than one outline for novels that have remained unwritten. I have this thing where I write something and then I compare it to one of my favourite authors, decide it's utter shiitake, then despair and become disheartened. I've written little to nothing, other than song lyrics, since starting to write professionally, and I really need to get my arse in gear.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:59 am 

Oh, I should say that I wouldn't mind doing some kind of group (I love writing groups!), but I don't want to just post stuff on a public forum. PMing or doing something with google or whatever would be fine. :D

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:03 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

choirqueer wrote:
I like creative writing challenges (like, "Let's all write a poem about [insert topic here]") and would be totally into it if a bunch of us wanted to do that together and share our writing.

Yes! Me too.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:35 am 
Saggy Butt

I like to write, but I haven't been doing much of that lately. I have a collection of kids' stories and poems that I've been thinking about working on and not. I haven't started anything new lately, besides melodramatic poetry in my little notebook. I also have to write papers for class right now which I don't want to do and is making me not want to write anything.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:40 am 

DangerZone wrote:
Oh, I should say that I wouldn't mind doing some kind of group (I love writing groups!), but I don't want to just post stuff on a public forum. PMing or doing something with google or whatever would be fine. :D

I'm down with this idea or writing exercises. But no way in hell am I posting drafts on the internet! :)

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:23 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Louzilla wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
I like creative writing challenges (like, "Let's all write a poem about [insert topic here]") and would be totally into it if a bunch of us wanted to do that together and share our writing.

Yes! Me too.

I would be in to that.

I write stories sometimes, none of them are all that good, but I enjoy it.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:31 pm 

Maybe a private Livejournal community?

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:38 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

choirqueer wrote:
Maybe a private Livejournal community?

Yes let's do this! It's good to hear from so many fellow ppk writers. Sharing work can be a very constructive thing.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:16 pm 

vijita wrote:
DangerZone wrote:

I'm down with this idea or writing exercises. But no way in hell am I posting drafts on the internet! :)

It's not the smartest thing, for a variety of reasons.

I could be down with a private LJ group. I probably won't do challenges or whatever, though, unless they're really open-ended. :D

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:27 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Yeah, sharing original stuff on the internet makes me kind of nervous. I've only ever shared fanfic on the internet (I am nerdy). Private community on LJ still make me worried, but I'd be more likely to do it.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:39 pm 

Niev wrote:
Yeah, sharing original stuff on the internet makes me kind of nervous. I've only ever shared fanfic on the internet (I am nerdy). Private community on LJ still make me worried, but I'd be more likely to do it.

I don't worry about private LJs, because only members can see posts/post. I suppose someone could hack it ... but who the Hell would be that interested in a random writer's group?

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:56 pm 

Okay, let's give this a try! I created a space at http://ppkwriters.livejournal.com . You will need an LJ account to join. I'm happy to serve as moderator, or if anyone else wants to do it that's totally cool too. When you join, it will tell you that membership in this community is moderated, yada yada yada, I'll get your membership request and accept you. If your LJ account name is different from your PPK name, please let me know what your PPK name is when you send your request. For now it seems appropriate to only accept membership requests from PPKers, but we can discuss if we want to let friends-of-PPKers join too or if there are special circumstances to let someone else join. For now, let's just see if this idea is alive enough to keep it going as is.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:06 pm 
Tortilla Rita's character account

I haven't used LJ in forever so I made a new account under vegancynic to join.

blog | vegan blog | twitter