| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PPK: Help me with my homework! (esp social workers etc)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:09 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I have to find 15 web resources related to student emotional and social health.

Suggested topics include: depression, suicide, Internet safety, bullying, dating violence, child abuse

Does anybody have any sites that I should check out? (note that suggesting websites is only directing my energies to sites that should be useful; I still have to annotate them and write up an implementation plan to use in the classroom, so this isn't really doing my work for me.)

I was mostly planning to just use the first 15 Google hits because I'm seriously unengaged by this, but I should probably try to make this useful, right? o

Post subject: Re: PPK: Help me with my homework! (esp social workers etc)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:14 pm 
Crazy bat lady

I touch on relationship abuse when I teach The House on Mango Street. Here are a couple of sources:

http://thisisabuse.direct.gov.uk/
http://www.loveisnotabuse.com/web/guest/home

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:15 pm 
Bends forks with mind powers

http://www.ulifeline.org/main/Home.html

Can you use the "It Gets Better" Project?

That's a cool assignment! It's always interesting finding out what resources are actually out there for people.

ETA: This one, too: http://www.thetrevorproject.org/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:17 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

morecuminthancumin wrote:
That's a cool assignment! It's always interesting finding out what resources are actually out there for people.

Thanks guys!

I agree it is a cool assignment, but I am not likely to ever be in a position to use them, hence the lousy attitude.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:18 pm 
Chard Martyr

Do you want scholarly journal article type things? Or just websites?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:25 pm 
Bends forks with mind powers

lavawitch wrote:

Thanks guys!

I agree it is a cool assignment, but I am not likely to ever be in a position to use them, hence the lousy attitude.

I get that. I've felt that way about lots of assignments. What's the class about?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:35 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Meggs wrote:
Do you want scholarly journal article type things? Or just websites?

Just simple websites. The example we are given is the FBI site for kids on internet safety.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:37 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

lavawitch wrote:

Thanks guys!

I get that. I've felt that way about lots of assignments. What's the class about?

Human growth and development. But I can't tell any difference between this and my advanced edu psych class or my introduction to edu psych class. They could all be the exact same class, really. The content is identical. I don't think I'll be able to forget who Piaget and Vygotsky are, even if I try.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:50 pm 
Chard Martyr

I have heaps of journal articles, especially with regard to some of those topics and law, but not any plain websites. I'm sorry! I wish I could help.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:50 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

lavawitch wrote:
I was mostly planning to just use the first 15 Google hits because I'm seriously unengaged by this, but I should probably try to make this useful, right? o

You're better off with a web directory than a search since the results will generally be of better quality. A couple examples to browse through...

http://www.smpl.org/websource/Health/MentalHealth.htm
http://nplwebguides.pbworks.com/Psychol ... tal+Health

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:04 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

This is why I forking hate these classes: for each site we need to write a paragraph detailing how we will use them in our classroom. How the fork do I use them in the classroom? I couldn't even take the time to talk about the earthquake in Haiti, which was a BFD because it wasn't going to be on the forking state exam. Who gives a flying rat's asparagus about actually teaching kids about earth science as it is in the world around us: that shiitake just gets in the way of students learning how to bubble in 60% worth of correct answers in June.*

Also: I would have been in major trouble if I turned my classroom into a platform to talk about any of these issues, especially LGBT issues since, of course, that is considered "sex talk" and is thus forbidden except by school nurse/counselor. If this is typical in schools, it explains a hell of a lot about the isolation of LGBT teens. I hope it was mostly the principal being a conservative dick wad crasshole who just pretended to give a fork about kids, when he really was just a crasshole control freak. (no, I didn't like the guy; I wish I had more vitriolic adjectives at my disposal)

How do I bullshiitake this assignment?

*sorry about the rant; it is just that more I learn in my classes, and the more I reflect on things, the more pissed off I get that I can't teach again because of one lousy semester and one crasshole principal who wouldn't know how to support a new teacher if his life depended on it, which happened to be my very first, without even student teaching first, especially when I see how forked up so much at that school was. I am a good teacher--I certainly was 2nd semester once I knew the basics of how to run my classroom properly.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:05 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Aaaand, in the time it took me to write that rant (and edit out that angry parts! hahaha), I could have been finished with this entire assignment.

Thanks, hdog. I always forget about web directories.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:12 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Not all the education you do will occur during actual instructional time. If you build a rapport with your students, you'll be surprised the things they'll ask you about after class, and it helps to be prepared, especially when it comes to mental health issues. I can think of several occasions during my time adjuncting that having a list of mental health resources immediately at hand would have been incredibly handy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:52 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

hoveringdog wrote:
Not all the education you do will occur during actual instructional time. If you build a rapport with your students, you'll be surprised the things they'll ask you about after class, and it helps to be prepared, especially when it comes to mental health issues. I can think of several occasions during my time adjuncting that having a list of mental health resources immediately at hand would have been incredibly handy.

Oh yeah, of course. But I won't be teaching again because I wasn't renewed my first year which means most districts are not allowed to hire me, regardless of other issues (like finishing my MAED) or good recommendations. Actually, one of the jobs I interviewed with is STILL listed because I was their preferred candidate and HR said no per district policy, and by that time, the other person they called back had taken a job elsewhere. Since I teach a critical shortage subject, the unspoken assumption is that I did something Very Bad to not be renewed because nobody ditches a first year teacher in a hard to fill core academic area without an exceptionally good reason, probably involving student safety. Generally even a totally inept new teacher is at least brought back for a 2nd year before the determination is made.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:10 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Thanks for the help! The links gave me a good start, and some of them are definitely worth keeping in mind.

I submitted my assignment! After I finish the assignment due tomorrow night, I will only be 4 behind in this class. Progress---sort of.