| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 754 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Diner
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:40 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Last night I made the two pepper golden gravy to go with some field roast and man it was delicious! That gravy is the smoothest, velvetiest gravy recipe I've made in a LONG time! yum.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:01 am 
Chard Martyr

I have the book now and I can't stop reading it! I want to make EVERYTHING. I think I'll start off with a seitan roast and the smokey mountain cheese.

Has anyone made the pot roast not in a slow cooker? I want it, but I'd have to simmer it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:39 am 
Huffs Nooch

I loved the veggies in the pot roast recipe but wasn't a huge fan of the actual roast. It was extremely salty and the flavor just didn't hook me. The veggies tasted exactly like the old slow cooker roast veggies I remember as a kid. The "meat" didn't.

Of note, it wasn't bad at all, I was just hoping for more.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:41 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Last night I made the Great Smoky Mountain cheese and the Smoky Soy Curls. Had them together on a sandwich, with some tomato and Vegenaise, for dinner and it was so good! I was sad to get to the last bite...but I'll be having another one tomorrow!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:19 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I just got this to make the smoky mountain cheeze that everyone is raving about and sounds delicious, but looking through it for the first time last night nothing else was calling to me. Any other good recipe recommendations from it? Any of the burgers good?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:12 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I was a lucky tester for this book. Make sure you try the chocolate mint and banana cream pies. I am usually more of a savory than sweet lover, but these are incredible!!! If you are on the fence about getting this book, jump off that fence and get it. The recipes are awesome and so is Julie. If you haven't seen her videos, you should check those out too! http://www.everydaydish.tv/

Kim Cooks Veg 4U Blog (new blog)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:36 am 
Nooch of Earl

I made the meat loaf as a weekday dinner a few weeks ago. I was never a really big fan of meatloaf as an omni but occasionally it sounds really good, and this is the best recipe for vegan meatloaf I've had. I made the RFD recipe once and while it was good, I wasn't very impressed for the amount of work it took; Vegan Diner's comes out much better and is faster as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:04 pm 
Chard Martyr

Veg-in-Training wrote:
I was a lucky tester for this book. Make sure you try the chocolate mint and banana cream pies. I am usually more of a savory than sweet lover, but these are incredible!!! If you are on the fence about getting this book, jump off that fence and get it. The recipes are awesome and so is Julie. If you haven't seen her videos, you should check those out too! http://www.everydaydish.tv/

Agreed! I'm also more of a savory lover, but those pies, especially the chocolate mint truffle one, are so awesome, and really fast to make. I've make the choc-mint countless times since testing!

I've found my fair share of vegan cookbooks lately that I've been uninspired by, but Julie's is SO good!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:12 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Oh man, I made a promise to someone that I'd buy no more cookbooks for a year (the upcoming pie one that completes the dessert trio is excepted), but this is testing my resolve ...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:16 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

oh man I just had the crazy Blue Plate special of cornbread waffles with smoky potato scramble on top, covered in creamy sage gravy and well, new favorite breakfast!! Obviously it's not a quick breakfast, but I did make the scramble 2 days ago, ate half then and used the other half for this morning, so whipping up the gravy while my waffles were cooking was pretty easy. Also the orange cinnamon buns are yum, and I'm kinda glad this book uses powdered soymilk in a lot of baked goods because I've got a big can of it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:00 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Anybody made the Ooey Gooey Brownies? I need an awesome brownie recipe for my friend's birthday next week.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:15 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made the Ooey Gooey brownies, and they were great. Rich, fudgy, and that chocolate glaze just puts them over the top. My omni coworkers loved them too, if that matters.

Also made the Cheesy Mac, which I had with Smoky Soy Curls and tomatoes, and it was yummy. Really loving this book.

I must try that Blue Plate Special, that sounds so good!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:42 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

vgnwitch wrote:
xmiyux wrote:
I'm just OCD around books. Hopefully there are at least a couple people who share by OCD and I'm not a total loon.

All of my cookbooks are in pristine condition. I like the idea of making notes in cookbooks, but I can't do it. The very idea of writing in my books makes me cringe.

I'm the same way, so you guys aren't weird. Of course most of the books have at least a splash of soy sauce on them and my copy of Veganomicon got chewed up, but writing in books is just wrong to me.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:43 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Oh, and the point of coming to this thread was to say, I just got this book and I only flipped through it so far, but it is gorgeous!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:50 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

So far I've only made the dill cheez, but it was freaking amazing. Reminded me of dill havarti, no question. I feel so ashamed, I didn't even manage to photograph it before snarfing the whole thing down. Go, make this, you will love it if you have any tastebuds!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:46 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I made the smoky mountain cheeze tonight as part of a cheese and wine night. I loved the testure but for me there was way too much smoked paprika. That's all I could taste, and it tasted raw. I'd make it again but halve it.I also made the beer dill bread which was amazing.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:17 pm 
Nailed to the V

Efcliz wrote:
I made the smoky mountain cheeze tonight as part of a cheese and wine night. I loved the testure but for me there was way too much smoked paprika. That's all I could taste, and it tasted raw. I'd make it again but halve it.I also made the beer dill bread which was amazing.

i liked it but can see what you mean. i was thinking about using regular sweet paprika sometime and seeing how that turned out. anyone done this?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:19 pm 
Nailed to the V

BitterSweet wrote:
So far I've only made the dill cheez, but it was freaking amazing. Reminded me of dill havarti, no question. I feel so ashamed, I didn't even manage to photograph it before snarfing the whole thing down. Go, make this, you will love it if you have any tastebuds!

this is exciting news! havarti used to be one of my favorite cheeses, especially the dill one. yum yum yum!

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:56 am 

Having said that, the grilled cheese sandwich with the smoky cheese was just delicious.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:11 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Those pictures off flicker look amazing. Next paycheck goes towards this.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:37 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I made that sage gravy last night... but I was out of sage. I ended up using Penzeys poultry seasoning since the first ingredient was sage.

That gravy is fantastic! It was creamy and very flavorful and I ended up drowning my mashed potatoes in the stuff. And pouring it on the tofu. And over the broccoli. I came just shy of drinking the leftovers.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:00 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I made some of the sage gravy today to go with my lunch potatoes. Very yummy! I can't wait to try more out of this book.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:46 pm 
Chard Martyr

Efcliz wrote:

I'm not the hugest fan of smoked paprika, so I halved it and I can still taste it but it doens't overpower. I also added a few drops of liquid smoke to make up for the smokiness from the paprika. It's really good!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:26 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I made the smokey curls tonight. I used a food sealer to marinate it and they are delicious. I've just been sitting on the couch and eating them all night.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:46 am 

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Efcliz wrote:

I'm not the hugest fan of smoked paprika, so I halved it and I can still taste it but it doens't overpower. I also added a few drops of liquid smoke to make up for the smokiness from the paprika. It's really good!

Great. That's what I'll do next time. I used the leftovers (after crackers and grilled cheese) to make a lentil and smoked cheese pie that I used to eat pregan. I need another try to get the texture perfect but then I'll publish it on my blog because it was amazing.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 754 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 31  Next