| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2037 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 82  Next
 Post subject: Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:40 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Hm. See Mothercare is the only place I've found anything here, and yeah, it's nearly all tankinis. The idea of my not exactly beautiful already belly hanging out would be enough to keep me from the pool though. Just went for a swim today and decided to go home in the wet gear since weather was nice, shower at my own house, yada yada. Yeah...I discovered that wet bra cups and pregnant nipples = searing pain. Holy crepe. At least I'm getting to practice some good techniques for when breast feeding.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:09 am 
Semen Strong

My husband is the loudest snorer ever. Will he keep the baby up?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:46 am 
Married to the wolfman

Tofulish, I doubt it! Most babies like repetitive sounds and things we would perceive as obnoxious white noise.

I snore and my husband shores and the Emperor (who is woken up by all sorts of over things) has always slept right through it. In fact, when the boy was really little I had bouts of insomnia, and sometimes I'd justbe there in bed listening to them both snore like some sort of chainsaw chorus.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:02 am 
Semen Strong

Thanks! I love that the Emperor snores too! Babysnores sound impossibly cute.

Between Cuddles and Brett, there will be a ton of chainsaw like noise in my future!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:23 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Yeah, snoring totally won't wake a baby up. I think the only thing that might change is that you might be more likely to make your husband sleep on the couch because you desperately need sleep....

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:35 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

When Dash was still in the Rock N Play next to the bed, I had MrSneakers snoring on one side, Dash snoring on the other side, and the dog snoring at the foot of the bed. It didn't help my sleep situation, but Dash didn't seem bothered by any of it!

Baby snores are far cuter than grown man snores, I'll tell you that much ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:14 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Tofetus will hear Brett snoring for months before she's born, so she'll be used to it and maybe find it comforting. Walter sleeps right through our dogs barking, and they are loud.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:30 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

mittenmacher wrote:
Walter sleeps right through our dogs barking, and they are loud.

Ditto! I don't know how Inez does it, but I'm really glad she does!

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:43 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I wish the Emperor slept through any dog barking! We have a neighbor who has a sweet but slightly high strung small dog who barks basically the whole time he is outside. She used to put him out for like thirty minutes at 3 am and I often threatened to go over there and kidnap her dog or punch her in the face.

Baby snores are adorable, but I think all new parents should be forewarned that for the first month or so, your little bundle of joy will probably make what can only be described as demon noises at night. They only breathe through their noses and have very very small nasal passages so you hear it if there is ANYTHING up there.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:50 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Yes, and they grunt like crazy. You try pooping through brand new intestines while laying down!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:44 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Does reading to the baby in the womb really help it to get to know your voice and bond with you once it is born? I talk to Mini B all the time but I am considering reading to it, will it help?

*I call it "it" because we do not know the gender.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:50 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

He/she will know your voice whether or not you read to him/her. If you want to read, do it, but if not, no biggie. They'll know you and there are a million ways to bond.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:59 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

mittenmacher wrote:
At what age/weight/stage of development do kids usually transition from a crib to a normal bed? I'm trying to figure out whether I even want to buy a crib. Thanks.

I never slept in a crib, according to my mother. I slept in a bassinet, then co-slept, then she put my crib mattress on the floor in their room so I wouldn't get hurt if I rolled out, but I just screamed and screamed in the crib, so she gave up.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:59 pm 

rabidchild wrote:
mittenmacher wrote:
At what age/weight/stage of development do kids usually transition from a crib to a normal bed? I'm trying to figure out whether I even want to buy a crib. Thanks.

I never slept in a crib, according to my mother. I slept in a bassinet, then co-slept, then she put my crib mattress on the floor in their room so I wouldn't get hurt if I rolled out, but I just screamed and screamed in the crib, so she gave up.

that happened with our firstborn. crib was a very expensive blanket holder. second time around a crib came in handy as a safe place for her to sleep while I had to tend to my oldest childs medical issues in the middle of the night-I didn't want to leave her in my bed alone. She's 2.5 years old and we just converted it into a toddler bed-she's so small she can sleep in that for a long time before she outgrows it and needs a twin sized bed.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:35 pm 
Semen Strong

Is there something you can do to stop your boobs hurting? Mine are going through another growth cycle. I used to be a discrete B, but am distinctly going up cupsizes. I never thought my husband was a boob man, but apparently he is.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:47 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

You could try some kind of cold compress, but unfortunately sore boobs just come with the territory. I remember being very sore during the first trimester, but the constant aching let up once I got farther along. Get yourself some larger bras; that will help, too.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:54 pm 

Same as mitten, tofulish; mine stopped being so sore sometime around second trimester and were pretty good till much closer to the end when they started again. Cold compresses helped a bit, as did hot showers. I wore a lot of sports bras and tight tank tops / camisoles with the shelf bra type thing.

I feel like all men like pregnancy boobs.. my husband isn't that into big boobs either but he couldn't get over mine!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:55 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Sleep bra was nice at night during my first trimester, I have DD boobs.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:27 pm 
Semen Strong

The sports bra was a great idea. Thank you!

I'm only at 13 weeks, and I feel enormous. I have a noticeable pregnant belly and am in maternity clothes already. 27+ more weeks of growing!

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:31 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Where are the pictures?!?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:12 am 
Bathes in Braggs

i never got bigger boobs. and mine are tiny to start with, so i felt a little ripped off.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:27 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I am a bit over 17 weeks and have somehow managed to get by (so far) without any maternity clothes at all. Don't get me wrong, I definitely have a belly, but between dresses with forgiving cuts, leggings, the tried-and-true unbuttoned jeans/band combo, and a few elastic-waisted skirts and shorts, I am getting by. I really need some longer tops, though. But the one thing I absolutely refuse to spend money on a maternity swimsuit...I will be wearing plain ol' bikini suits that look pretty damned awful on me, and anyone who doesn't like it can look elsewhere. I refuse to be miserable and uncomfortable just because someone might find my belly even more offensive than usual.

I am also beginning to realize that going stealth during my 2-month temp job that may possibly turn into more is great in theory, but has in just a week's time become virtually impossible despite my attempts at strategic belly management through choice of clothing.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:27 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

mittenmacher wrote:
Where are the pictures?!?

Of bigger boobs? :p

A good, soft/padded bra has helped me so far (about 13/14 weeks). I did just buy some baby bum cream for them (shea butter type stuff) after my first bout with nipple pain the other day too. It seems a bit unfair that now I'm two cup sizes bigger and the man is all hubba-hubba, I mostly just want him to leave them alone. :p

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:28 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I found this maternity swimsuit! I have Carriwell's nursing swimsuit and a couple bras from them, which I really like. It's a good company. http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_inf ... ts_id=2419

Honestly though, if I was pregnant through the summer, I would find the skimpiest bikini ever and rock that thing, haters be damned.

Here's another nursing swimsuit that might work for early pregnancy, since it's two piece: http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_inf ... ts_id=2054

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 3:28 pm 
Semen Strong

Nordstroms has this tankini, which looks so pretty. I hadn't realized how cute this could look. I love the coral, but the black is nice too. Brett and I are dreaming about having a babymoon somewhere with a beach....

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/maternal-am ... 005195-0-2

Reply to topic  [ 2037 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 82  Next