| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boyfriend's sister's doctor told her she won't get pregnant
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:50 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I don't want to stir the pot, but I am very upset!

My boyfriend's sister wanted to be a vegetarian. She was doing research and trying. Well, less than a week she has given up, saying it's too hard & the college commons aren't providing her enough food. If that is her reasoning, that is fine. I am still encouraging her to do what she needs to for her own body.

HOWEVER, her doctor told her that she wouldn't be able to get pregnant easily if she was vegetarian!! That was the first reason she gave me as to why she's dropping this. I am SHOCKED! I am vegan and love it! I feel like it's better for me and would be better for the babies I have to be healthy.

I NEED some online articles telling her that the doctor is a quack. I want her to know that that man (or woman) was just trying to sway her away from what could be a healthy lifestyle.

Please help!!

Post subject: Re: Boyfriend's sister's doctor told her she won't get pregn
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:06 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Here is information from the NIH (it is hard to argue that the US government is a source biased towards veganism!)

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/vegetariandiet.html

There are some articles/pdf files at the bottom specific to pregnancy that may be a good place to start.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:11 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I know I saw an article a while back that talked about a particular study where vegetarians actually had higher conception rates, but I can't remember where it was. The article was from a pretty mainstream source and along the lines of, "Hey, having trouble getting pregnant? Maybe you should eat vegetarian for a while." I really wish I could remember where I saw it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:23 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I read an article in the Spring issue of Conceive magazine this year about how a vegan diet can improve your chances of conception. I posted a link here on the old boards but it seems that the article isn't available online anymore.

The doctor is incorrect. In my case, I wasn't able to get pregnant until I went vegan. I couldn't get pregnant "easily" on an omni diet.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:54 pm 

i don't know, i'd think if you are eating a good diet, its not going to make a difference, and may even increase your possibilities. If you have other problems it may not he,p or hurt (i'm a lifelong veg and vegan, but i had problems conceiving, my mom has been a veg since she was 16, and vegan for mb 20 years- she has 5 kids)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:06 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

she needs to switch doctors, and the dr needs to be more responsible in his sharing of opinions. my sister in law has been vegan for about fifteen years and successfully conceived and carried to term two very healthy children. she maintained her vegan diet all the way through both pregnancies, and never once did her doctors question her decision. they monitored her diet like they monitored any pregnant woman's diet, and noted several times how impressed they were with her level of health. she conceived almost immediately with both pregnancies.

clearly this is only one example, but a look at any of the PPK pregnancy boards would repeat more of the same. a doctor should be supportive of and encourage healthy life choices, not spread irrational nonsense. as long as her diet wasn't a 'junkfood' veg diet she would be in great health.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:40 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thank you to all! I truly believe in my vegan diet, so no worries about me! I am just upset that a doctor would push this onto a vulnerable 18-year-old college freshman. I want to show her that she needs to do her own research on these things.

Thank you to all!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:02 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

newsie15 wrote:
I want to show her that she needs to do her own research on these things.

And change her doctor immediately! Cos the guy is just being ridiculous! He's not even talking about vegans, but vegetarians (from your original post). What about the hundreds of thousands of vegetarians who give birth every year? My mum has been vegetarian all her life and had no problem conceiving four children!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:55 am 
Semen Strong

Rach*n wrote:
I read an article in the Spring issue of Conceive magazine this year about how a vegan diet can improve your chances of conception. I posted a link here on the old boards but it seems that the article isn't available online anymore.

The doctor is incorrect. In my case, I wasn't able to get pregnant until I went vegan. I couldn't get pregnant "easily" on an omni diet.

What was the problem with your omni diet/benefit provided by the vegan diet? We've been talking about the benefits of veganism for PCOS...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:58 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Could you not just point out that the vast majority of the population in India follow a vegetarian diet for life - and have done so for thousands of years? What an irresponsible idiot her doctor is, but I'm wondering too that if she had been wavering about making a change to her eating habits, any comment that the doctor made (and maybe s/he didn't actually say that a vegetarian diet inhibits your chances of conceiving, giving her/him the benefit of the doubt), she may have interpreted as such?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:37 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

the thing is m.d.s receive very little nutritional training and aren't really educated enough to give nutritional advice.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:12 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

fupapack wrote:
the thing is m.d.s receive very little nutritional training and aren't really educated enough to give nutritional advice.

Yes, I have heard this! I watched the documentary "Food Matters." It's a little thick on all the information, but what it boils down to is diet helps and cures, not popping pills all the time for little ailments.

I don't have a pill for my IBS. I had to take matters into my own hands when the doctor told me "You have IBS" after 6 months of testing and "left" me. I resent him for doing that and felt abandoned, like I was cursed as a leper.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:54 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Does she really want to get pregnant any time soon? A diet that won't let you conceive would have sounded great to me when I was in college. (Not to make light of the difficulties some people have conceiving.)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:15 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

mollyjade wrote:
Does she really want to get pregnant any time soon? A diet that won't let you conceive would have sounded great to me when I was in college. (Not to make light of the difficulties some people have conceiving.)

Oh, no! But she is very particular. She is Catholic (like me) but is very much about the virgin-until-marriage and no birth control. This follows into the role of a woman is to have many offspring, and she doesn't want to harm her body in any way that would prevent that.

Now me, I am a bit more contemporary (but I won't go into details.) And I KNOW a good diet helps. Look at our ancestors! Fresh produce from their own yards, nothing processed unless they processed it themselves.

*Sigh*

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:07 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Pinko wrote:
I know I saw an article a while back that talked about a particular study where vegetarians actually had higher conception rates, but I can't remember where it was. The article was from a pretty mainstream source and along the lines of, "Hey, having trouble getting pregnant? Maybe you should eat vegetarian for a while." I really wish I could remember where I saw it.

I read the same article and am not quite sure where either! The only things I read semi regularly are Yoga Journal, Shape and Canadian Living. Could it have been in one of those?

Also the doctor is not only presenting uninformed opinions but is expressing his beliefs in a very unprofessional way. If he is concerned he could monitor her iron, b12 and make sure everything is okay.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:19 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

How about referring her to a site like Eatright.org, the American Dietetic Association's website. Ya know, people who actually specialize in nutrition unlike, I'm assuming, her doctor.

From the site:
“It is the position of the American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada that appropriately planned vegetarian diets are healthful, nutritionally adequate and provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases.”

The ADA also says that a veg*n diet is safe for all stages of life (that would definitely include the baby making stage).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:14 pm 

Tofulish wrote:
Rach*n wrote:

What was the problem with your omni diet/benefit provided by the vegan diet? We've been talking about the benefits of veganism for PCOS...

I don't know what the problem with my omni diet was besides being an omni diet. I spent 3 years trying to get pregnant eating what I guess is considered a healthy-ish omni diet of egg whites, lean meats and such with my veggies and fruit. We went through infertility testing and I was told I had PCOS and it would be "incredibly difficult" for us to conceive on our own. We were left to decide whether we wanted to do IVF or IUI. Meanwhile, my husband and I went vegan and within two months of changing our diet I was pregnant.

By saying the doctor was incorrect, I meant to say that the doctor wasn't correct in his statement that his patient wouldn't be able to get pregnant easily as a vegetarian. Both I and a friend found it much easier to get pregnant, even with PCOS, when eating a vegan diet. Of course, it doesn't mean she won't get pregnant easily as an omni either.