| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 735 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: The no-sugar support thread
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:40 pm 
Chard Martyr

Zoey wrote:
I also meant to add that I have heard sugar cravings can last more than 2 weeks but that the first two weeks are the worst.

I don't know if I can make two weeks of this. Seriously. Even googling sugar-free desserts brings up stuff for diabetics that contains fake sugars. I'm guessing I'd have to go with a savory muffin of some sort, or a biscuit, to get that baked yummy taste I'm craving... only, will I be upset when it doesn't have a nice sugary coating? Probably. Ok, ok.... it's for the good of my body. Have to remember why I'm doing this! I want better sleep, and to feel better overall... It's so easy to forget.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:33 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Hang in there Meggs! Although, I am not one to talk because my baby is having a rough day today and I am thinking of packing her up and going to get a soda. My in laws are coming into town sometime between now and 3 hours from now (they never give specifics) and I am feeling stressed because Little Miss Meltdown has kept me from getting any of the things done today that I wanted to get done.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:33 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

pistachiorose wrote:
Does anyone have ideas for sugar-free (preferably savoury) hot breakfasts that are super-quick to make? Lately I'm been having a green smoothie and some crackers with olive spread or hummus, but the weather here just turned all cold and rainy all of a sudden, and this morning I did not enjoy my cold smoothie at all. I don't have access to oatmeal here (not for a decent price, anyway) and I don't think I'll have time to make a burrito or scramble. Any other ideas?

Would you eat soup for brekky? Something simple like lentil, split pea or veggies? I'm not a huge fan of savoury brekkies, so that's all I can think of!

pistachiorose wrote:
I'm trying to kick the sweets-emotions habit, and they say it takes 21 days to make or break a habit, right?

Yup!

Zoey wrote:
The no sugar front is going well but I think I am eating too much fat now. I used to reach for cookies or muffins for a quick snack and now I find myself reaching for hummus all the time. I don't really have anything else quick that I can make in the house. I guess I will tackle that after I feel like I have sugar a little more under control.

I don't think you should worry about how much you're eating while you're getting over sugar, I am sure it will all balance out once you've stopped having cravings.

Fizzgig wrote:
Wow, you all are awesome. I am embarking on a low sugar lifestyle (no sugar is too much pressure for me, so I'm trying to pre-emptively avoid the binge that comes when I make a mistake). The biggest hurdle I can see so far is that I'm supposed to get my package from the October swap this weekend...and I love to bake. Baked goods can be given away, though, and package goodies can be rationed. I, too, have the problem of eating well all day and binging at night. Hopefully this thread will keep me on track. My main issue is that I have gained weight since school started again and its making me feel like crepe. And my skin has gone to hell, so I'm hoping cutting my sugar intake and upping the water will resolve both of those issues.

You can do it, Fizzy! I got my care package a few weeks ago, I ate Swedish Fish but tried to ration them out so I didn't eat them all at once.

Meggs wrote:
Zoey wrote:
I also meant to add that I have heard sugar cravings can last more than 2 weeks but that the first two weeks are the worst.

I don't know if I can make two weeks of this. Seriously. Even googling sugar-free desserts brings up stuff for diabetics that contains fake sugars. I'm guessing I'd have to go with a savory muffin of some sort, or a biscuit, to get that baked yummy taste I'm craving... only, will I be upset when it doesn't have a nice sugary coating? Probably. Ok, ok.... it's for the good of my body. Have to remember why I'm doing this! I want better sleep, and to feel better overall... It's so easy to forget.

Why don't you bake something with agave or maple syrup? I made almond maple cupcakes for my Mum's birthday when I did sugar free June and I didn't get an awful sugar rush after I ate one.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:41 pm 
Chard Martyr

Kitteh wrote:
Why don't you bake something with agave or maple syrup? I made almond maple cupcakes for my Mum's birthday when I did sugar free June and I didn't get an awful sugar rush after I ate one.

Oh but Kitteh, the rush must be what I want, no? I used to add agave to everything, so I think it counts as off-limits for me for now, however, I appreciate the suggestion and might use it if I "break down" and bake.

Today has been especially hard and I've slept for a lot of it. I'm grateful I didn't have anything to do and I could afford that luxury. I desperately want some peanut butter but that would require going to the grocery and I'm not sure if I'm up for avoiding everything I'm craving right now. I shouldn't have asked about how long this process will take; it's stuck in my head and it feels like forever.

eta: Got dinner going and went to the store, grabbed what I needed, and left... found out a friend is sending me an edible arrangement! Woo! FRUIT! Eating grapes like they're going out of style. I will make it through day five.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:17 am 
Chard Martyr

Ugh. I messed up last night and had a Luna Bar. Not happy with myself. I had much better choices around, and I picked that up. I'd like to blame my house guest for having them in my house, but I'll take full responsibility.

I hope everyone else had good days/nights.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:12 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

So I'm off to a bad start, I had a breakfast bar for breakfast due to getting home 30 minutes before I had to leave. But I have determined that the rest of the day will be better!

I do have a question though...when you all make pizza (I use the recipe for the crust from VWAV), what do you use instead of sugar in the crust? I want to make it tonight, but I don't know if I can sub that or if it matters if I leave it out...? Advice?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:13 am 

partner brought home dark chocolate last night and I gave in. it.was.so.good.

But now, guilt.

New day, new resolve.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:33 am 
Kale Wreath

Hang in, everyone! If we can just make it over this plateau....!

Day 6 was another day without sugar, for me. I felt pretty crappy about it. I'm feeling down and anxious for numerous reasons and I know this is why I want sugar now. And this is what I have to break. I'm trying not to even have treat 'substitutes' for the most part because I'm afraid that'll retain my emotional attachment. But it's so hard. Life feels so dull without sugar when you're focusing on it. I was certain that I would be craving treats like crazy in the evening, but then I went out for dinner with friends and laughed a lot and STUFFED MY FACE (not on purpose). I felt like I could roll home, I was so full. And that pretty much killed my sugar cravings for the rest of the night, ha.

Thanks for the soup suggestion, Kitteh, soup sounds like the perfect cold-weather savoury breakfast, actually! (I just have to organize myself to make it up in advance)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:44 am 
Not NOT A Furry

ice cream, pb cookies, berry muffin... all sugary things I've eaten in the past couple of days that have ruined my stomach.

pistachiorose, have you tried making savoury oatmeal? Sounds weird since we're so used to eating it sweet, but if you think of it like any other grain, then it works! I've made steelcut oats with sesame oil and green onion for breakfast and it's really good (oof... I just remembered you can't get oats... maybe rice instead?). I've been eating a pea-quinoa mush for the past few days - just cooked red lentils, split peas and quinoa with garlic and curry spices. Basically, a savoury porridge. You could make these things ahead of time and eat them over the next few days. My friends also eat this kinda sludgy-looking breakfast: mix hemp or flax oil into some peanut or almond butter or tahini and ground flax, add a little almond milk and top with fruit. It isn't pretty, but it's tasty and super nutritious. Also... *hugs* to your bruised heart :(

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:55 am 
Kale Wreath

Mmm, curry for breakfast. I shall try that as well! Thanks, Mishka!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:08 pm 
Chard Martyr

I'm still annoyed as hell about last night.

Anyway, worked out, had a small green smoothie this morning and now onto a salad and a wrap. Going to a party tonight where there will be snacks, nothing with sugar is vegan, though, so that will keep me away, but it might make me want my own vegan versions... ugh. Fruit. Fruit. Fruit. I hope there is fruit there, or I'll bring my own.

Don't want to think about the mess up, but it makes me so upset! I was doing well; struggling, but making it. I'm glad you had a fun night, pistachiorose, even if you are full! Laughter is so good for the soul.

Glad y'all are doing well as can be! This is difficult stuff!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:10 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

I've been sugar-free since the PPK did the sugar-free June thing, and my sugar cravings are totally gone. Dates, smoothies, fruit and juice have been so helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:05 pm 
Chard Martyr

thisheregiraffe wrote:
I've been sugar-free since the PPK did the sugar-free June thing, and my sugar cravings are totally gone. Dates, smoothies, fruit and juice have been so helpful.

Thanks for the tips, and I'm glad you're still sugar-free! I'm having mad cravings today, I think because I'm so stressed out and also frustrated by last night's slip up. Like, "hey, I already screwed up, why not make it a BIG screw up?" My silly thoughts.... I just downed a bunch of awesome pineapple instead.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:07 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Hang in there, guys! It gets easier! The first few weeks are a bit hellish, but this is the main reason:

pistachiorose wrote:
Life feels so dull without sugar when you're focusing on it.

when you're focusing on it. exactly. If substitutes like fruit, smoothies, dates and savoury snacks are not working then I suppose the only solution is to try to get your mind off it. Easier said than done, I know... but it does work. when i feel myself craving things insanely i try to shift my attention to something else. i do the laundry, i clean my room, i organise my inbox, anything as long as it's not related to food or eating. working out is really good too, especially long cardio. runner's high > sugar high ANYTIME

also while i think having rules is good and i personally tend to go more for the absolutely no sugar approach, i also think that if no-sugar is putting too much stress on you then it might be more productive to do low-sugar for a while until you're ready to go all the way. kinda like going vegetarian before committing to veganism, i suppose? remember that the goal is health, and stress is not conducive to health!

but having said that, i must repeat: it does get better. hang in there! you can do it!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:24 pm 
Chard Martyr

cosmiclettuce wrote:
also while i think having rules is good and i personally tend to go more for the absolutely no sugar approach, i also think that if no-sugar is putting too much stress on you then it might be more productive to do low-sugar for a while until you're ready to go all the way.

I adore you, cosmiclettuce- you're such a great cheerleader! I feel better after reading everyone's posts on here about how it does get better... but... what's low-sugar compared to no-sugar? I mean, everything has sugar in it, but what constitutes "low sugar?" If I give in, I'd like to give in to something low-sugar, at least, and not feel like I've completely failed by going all out and bingeing on something sugar-laden. I'm usually really super disciplined, but my house guest... ugh... I feel like I'm being sabotaged because there are things in my house that I would NOT have in here if she were not here.

However, it's my choice and my issue. Again, I take responsibility for my sugary actions. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:39 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Meggs wrote:
I adore you, cosmiclettuce- you're such a great cheerleader! I feel better after reading everyone's posts on here about how it does get better... but... what's low-sugar compared to no-sugar? I mean, everything has sugar in it, but what constitutes "low sugar?" If I give in, I'd like to give in to something low-sugar, at least, and not feel like I've completely failed by going all out and bingeing on something sugar-laden. I'm usually really super disciplined, but my house guest... ugh... I feel like I'm being sabotaged because there are things in my house that I would NOT have in here if she were not here.

However, it's my choice and my issue. Again, I take responsibility for my sugary actions. ;)

aw, thanks (:

i guess the concept of low-sugar would vary from people to people but to me it's something like allowing yourself something with sugar once in a while as long it's not super sweet, and generally going for 'healthier' sweeteners. so for instance, if it's a special occasion have one (1!) slice of cake but when you bake it cut the sugar in half and/or substitute for agave or equivalent. or having a couple of "healthy" cookies (again, cut sugar in half, etc) when you want a treat, or some yoghurt with added sugar (provided it isn't something insane like 10g of sugar per serving).

when's your guest leaving? i know what that feels like... when i'm at my parents' i always have more sugar because they really like sweet things... just roll with it, resist temptation as much as you can but don't drive yourself crazy with guilt and stress if you do give in. just keep your goals in mind, and remember your guest won't stay forever -- hopefully, haha.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:34 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Meggs wrote:
Ugh. I messed up last night and had a Luna Bar. Not happy with myself. I had much better choices around, and I picked that up. I'd like to blame my house guest for having them in my house, but I'll take full responsibility.

I hope everyone else had good days/nights.

Don't be down on yourself, it was one bar and you're still getting used to eating no sugar. You can start again tomorrow just try to focus on the positives :)

Fizzgig wrote:
I do have a question though...when you all make pizza (I use the recipe for the crust from VWAV), what do you use instead of sugar in the crust? I want to make it tonight, but I don't know if I can sub that or if it matters if I leave it out...? Advice?

Yup, leave it out.

pistachiorose wrote:
Thanks for the soup suggestion, Kitteh, soup sounds like the perfect cold-weather savoury breakfast, actually! (I just have to organize myself to make it up in advance)

You could make a batch and freeze it in portions? Or make a quick-ish soup, red/green lentils cook within 20 mins so that's a quicker option.

thisheregiraffe wrote:

That's fantastic!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:46 pm 
Chard Martyr

Ahhhh I love you all. I don't know how I would do this without you!
cosmiclettuce wrote:
when's your guest leaving? i know what that feels like... when i'm at my parents' i always have more sugar because they really like sweet things... just roll with it, resist temptation as much as you can but don't drive yourself crazy with guilt and stress if you do give in. just keep your goals in mind, and remember your guest won't stay forever -- hopefully, haha.

Not until December. I can't think about it!

So, I might allow myself one mini luna every now and then... and try to be positive about it, as it is a much more positive/healthy place than where I was 6 days ago! Or, I'll try cooking my own version of something, half the recipe, and then also cut the sugar down. Sigh. We shall see....

Thank you to everyone on here- I can't say that enough!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:53 pm 
Hip Goiter

It makes me sad that you guys who have eaten sugar today or yesterday are being soo hard on yourselves and wrought with guilt! It makes no sense! It's not feasible for you to totally give up everything and expect yourself to stick to it 100%, especially for the long-term. It's not like this is a 2-week trial or anything, right? I thought this was for a life change kind of thing; at least for me it is. And I know that I don't want to beat myself up next year for having some chocolate or a cookie, so why would I do it now? Now, I will eat dates if I want to and make raw desserts with agave or dates if I want, because I want to do this style of eating for good and those are the kinds of things I want to 'be able' to eat for the foreseeable future. My cravings have decreased considerably since the summer, but I don't expect to never eat something sugar ever again. So take it easy! It's like with any life changes people make, like if they try to lose weight or something: without fail, the advice given is don't make substantial changes all of a sudden that aren't realistically sustainable (like crash diets vs. lifestyle changes). You make changes in a way that works for the long-term. And for those of you who are trying to try a week or two on very strict terms so that you can gauge the changes in cravings, you do have more reason to be so strict, but you don't get anywhere by beating yourself up about it! You are still eating much less sugar already, and it has already done great things for your body, even if you weren't perfect.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:57 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Everyone should listen to Randi! :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:40 pm 
Chard Martyr

RandiJM wrote:
You are still eating much less sugar already, and it has already done great things for your body, even if you weren't perfect.

I appreciate this, Randi. I guess I'm just being hard on myself because I've heard that sugar thrives on sugar, so you have to detox completely in the beginning. Maybe I'm incorrect, but I don't want to have the cravings continue longer than necessary! However, like you, I hope to incorporate some sugar, at times, and you sharing your experience that your cravings have dissipated greatly, even with eating sugar sometimes, is very helpful! Like you said, even if I'm being rigid about it, once in a while is ok. I'm always too hard on myself, with everything. So, thank you for the reminder to be a little more gentle with myself. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:19 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

RandiJM wrote:
It makes me sad that you guys who have eaten sugar today or yesterday are being soo hard on yourselves and wrought with guilt! It makes no sense! It's not feasible for you to totally give up everything and expect yourself to stick to it 100%, especially for the long-term. It's not like this is a 2-week trial or anything, right? I thought this was for a life change kind of thing; at least for me it is. And I know that I don't want to beat myself up next year for having some chocolate or a cookie, so why would I do it now? Now, I will eat dates if I want to and make raw desserts with agave or dates if I want, because I want to do this style of eating for good and those are the kinds of things I want to 'be able' to eat for the foreseeable future. My cravings have decreased considerably since the summer, but I don't expect to never eat something sugar ever again. So take it easy! It's like with any life changes people make, like if they try to lose weight or something: without fail, the advice given is don't make substantial changes all of a sudden that aren't realistically sustainable (like crash diets vs. lifestyle changes). You make changes in a way that works for the long-term. And for those of you who are trying to try a week or two on very strict terms so that you can gauge the changes in cravings, you do have more reason to be so strict, but you don't get anywhere by beating yourself up about it! You are still eating much less sugar already, and it has already done great things for your body, even if you weren't perfect.

wise words!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:13 am 

thisheregiraffe wrote:

We could have talked about being sugar free tonight at dinner! I managed to resist those chocolate cupcakes even though Mr. Zoey was going to town and brought some home with us!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:20 am 

I wanted to report that my sugar free insomnia is finally gone, hooray! The night before last I only slept for 3 hours (from 3am to 6am) but last night I was so tired and I am feeling pretty tired now and I am looking forward to going to bed.

I have been doing really well on the no-sugar front. I almost made cupcakes to take to my meeting on Thursday night but I resisted and once there I didn't eat any of the other treats. It helps that my friend who normally makes vegan desserts added egg whites to the brownies so it was very easy to stay away from those. Tonight at dinner Mr. Zoey had a cupcake and then brought 3 home and I was surprised that I wasn't even really tempted by them. That feels like progress!

Tomorrow we are making vegan muffins with my mother in law so we will see how that goes. I really appreciate all the support on this thread, it makes things a lot easier!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:26 am 
Chip Strong

I've been following this thread, and it sounds like everyone's doing really really well! RandiJM has some awesome points about not being so hard on yourself. If not eating sugar feels like punishment, then you're just going to resent it, and it can set up unhealthy relationships with food. Like others have said, just by cutting down at all you're doing an awesome job!
I've been doing no/low-sugar for a couple of years now, and will occasionally eat things with agave in them, on snack on a date or two. My relationship with sugar goes up and down; sometimes I'll start feeling those cravings again, and realise I need to cut back on the amount of sweet things I'm eating (my weaknesses are raw cake, smoothies sweetened with agave, and the occasional baked good). By cutting down on baking, and focusing on other aspects of my diet (what am I missing that means I want sugar? Often, it's because I'm dehydrated, or I've let myself get too hungry), it's easier to control that, and keep the sugar and sweeteners out of my diet.

I've heard about chromium as being a mineral supplement that can help with sugar cravings - I think it's been used for type-2 diabetics - but I don't really have any info on that. Does anyone else know anything about it? Just a thought for those who are struggling with cutting down, maybe something to look into.

Really, though, you can do it. You are all doing so well so far: we are fed sugar from such early ages, and it is intensely addictive. Not only is it a part of our diet, but a major part of our food culture. Changing your food culture and your tastebuds at the same time is tough. One thing that helps me keep sugar-free from a cultural perspective is to think about where sugar has originally come from - I'm a cultural studies major, and food is one of my areas of interest (surprise surprise!). There is a long history of slavery and oppression involved in the sugar industry: the slaves and/or cheap foreign labour who harvested the sugar, working-class people in countries like the UK being fed highly-processed flours and sugars as a cheap, efficient, high-calorie food (jam and bread with a sweetened cup of tea replaced porridge and milk), indigenous people in Canada, the US, and Australia (as well as other countries) have been force-fed a colonial rations diet that is high in sugar, and have suffered from massive rates of type 2 diabetes and other diseases as a result. Sidney Mintz is a good author to read if you're interested in that kind of thing.
Sorry for the rant - it's not entirely relevant, but I just think that sometimes looking at these things from multiple perspectives, such as both health and social justice can help it to stick better. For me personally, a part of the reason not to eat sugar is to avoid supporting an industry that has been incredibly unethical, and largely continues to do so.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 735 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 30  Next