| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Jersey! - Only the Strong Survive
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:28 pm 
Naked Under Apron

It looks like my mother is all excited about me being home for Mother's Day, so a meet-up on the eighth wouldn't work so well for me. If weekends are better for everyone, maybe May 14? Or the 15th if we want to go to Veggie Heaven, since I don't think they're open on Saturdays during the summer.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:00 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

1. I keep forgetting that this thread exist.
2. I keep forgetting I'm from NJ.
3. After they split up the Square and made Sub-forums, I stopped paying attention to all of the threads underneath.

So....What's up NJ? Anyone coming South or to the Shore this summer? And by Shore I mean Wildwood or Ocean City, not that crepe called Seaside Heights!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:07 am 
Semen Strong

Larisa wrote:
It looks like my mother is all excited about me being home for Mother's Day, so a meet-up on the eighth wouldn't work so well for me. If weekends are better for everyone, maybe May 14? Or the 15th if we want to go to Veggie Heaven, since I don't think they're open on Saturdays during the summer.

I'd love to see you! Let us know when works for you.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:36 pm 
protein lump

my family goes to ocean city every year, so michael and i will there sometime in july. i think it's the second week?

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:52 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

GraciaKai wrote:
So....What's up NJ? Anyone coming South or to the Shore this summer? And by Shore I mean Wildwood or Ocean City, not that crepe called Seaside Heights!

i'm on the shore, but north of all that riffraff.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:01 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I miss Wildwood, havent been in way too long. Im realizing that all of my old favorite boardwalk foods are not vegan. Boo! Need to find a place to make vegan funnel cake, cheese fries, and pizza. Ooooh and Kohr Bros soft serve!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:30 pm 
Tortilla Rita's character account

GraciaKai wrote:
Need to find a place to make vegan funnel cake, cheese fries, and pizza. Ooooh and Kohr Bros soft serve!

Cheese fries and Kohr Bros. If someone makes worthy vegan versions I will bow down at their feet in gratitude.

blog | vegan blog | twitter

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:21 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

You and me both! Mmmmm boardwalk food, my mouth iw watering. Damnit, now I was a broccoli slice from Sams. And some Curlys fries. And a pretzel from Annas.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:02 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

last i checked curly's fries were vegan. and bashful banana has some things.

anyway, we'll be down there sometime between july 16-23.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:44 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yeh but curlys fries with no bright orange fake cheese is just regular fries. Bashful banana? Thats a new name to me.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:28 am 

GraciaKai wrote:
Bashful banana? Thats a new name to me.

ocean city. they have frozen banana ice cream and apparently muffins? (i don't think the employees are all that learned about their vegan items) but they have a grape-based chocolate sauce that's really good!

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:59 am 
protein lump

yeah, they also have some tofu stuff and some vegan veggie burgers. but you need to kind of figure it out for yourself since the staff is all high school kids who have no idea what's going on.

i always really want to be more excited about bashful banana and i just can't. the banana whip is good but the rest of food is really meh considering it's super easy for restaurants to make decent veg food nowadays.

o.c. also has a greek place on 9th... i think it's called katarina's or something similar. they have good falafel and hummus and pita.
michael and i saw a new sushi place also on 9th near the greek place that we'll probably try this summer.

you can also get decent burritos and one of the chinese places has a veg menu where you can get general tso's soy chunks (or some other similar non-appetizingly named items) that is pretty good.

picini would be an awesome italian place if they could get down the whole "no cheese" thing. michael and i have tried ordering there a few times asking for whatever pasta they have on the menu and just asking it to be cheeseless. last time, the guy on the phone was like, "i don't know if we can do that." really? you can't leave the forking parmesan out of pasta with tomato sauce? seriously? i lose my patience there really quickly. but if you have the patience to talk really slowly and explain exactly what you want, the food is really good.

overall, extreme south jersey blows for vegan options.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:13 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Tofulish wrote:
Larisa wrote:

I'd love to see you! Let us know when works for you.

Looks like Saturday will work best for me, and brunch or lunch probably better than dinner. Since I can't get Ethiopian near me in PA, maybe that Ethiopian place in Montclair for lunch? (Mesob? I can't remember the name.)

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:17 pm 
Semen Strong

It is Mesob! We can definitely plan on it! Should we set up a separate thread?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:30 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Sure!

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:32 pm 
Semen Strong

Yay!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:16 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

We had a great meal at a Mexican restaurant called El Tule in Lambertville, NJ this weekend.
http://www.eltulerestaurant.com/

The Peruvian Taboule Qunioa was amazing!!! I would go back just for that. We also had the Yuquitas Fritas (fried Yuka sticks), which were also delicious. The salsa they came with wasn't vegan, but that was no biggie because they also served 3 different types of free salsas that were awesome. They were Pico de gallo, tomatillo, and a spicy, creamy one that had an almond base so it was vegan.

We were there just for a late lunch, so we also shared a jicama salad & guacamole appetizer. Both were very fresh and yummy. There was other stuff on the regular mexican menu we could have gotten too, like vegetable tacos & burritos minus the cheese.

Overall I like New Hope a lot better than Lambertville (everything in Lambertville is sooo overpriced!) but I would go back just to this restaurant. The family that owned it were really nice too.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:51 am 

daily deal today for red bank!

red bank NJ- $5 for $10 Worth of #Vegan Fare and Drinks at Good Karma Café - http://t.co/ivWcChR

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:00 am 
Semen Strong

Thanks! I bought one!

We end up going to Red Bank a lot in the summer, and their sandwiches are so good!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:04 am 

that's where cinnamon snail is based out of, right? (but they can't sell there because of red bank's stupid laws?)

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:28 am 
Semen Strong

supercarrot wrote:
that's where cinnamon snail is based out of, right? (but they can't sell there because of red bank's stupid laws?)

The Cinnamon Snail is at the Farmer's market, every Sunday. I think Red Bank has some strets open to them, but most are closed to food trucks under pressure of local businesses.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:33 am 

aah! ok, maybe i'll get this deal then. :-) and i'll hope to use it up before it expires.

speaking of which, i have a $32 v-note groupon that expires on the 17th (i don't know why i insist on buying groupons that i probably won't manage to get to before they expire. at least i can always use the purchase price there, but that's pointless. *sigh* if you want it, it's yours.)

i also have scoutmob coupons for saravana bhavan and saluggi's pizzeria if you want them.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:11 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

i'm going to red bank farmer's market this sunday, primarily to eat cinnamon snail. i'm very excited as I love farmer's markets but, what should I expect? Are there any organic farm stands? Any farms in particular to look for? Any good hidden gems?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:20 pm 
Semen Strong

Check Cinnamon Snail's FB page - they should be scheduled for Red Bank farmer's market, but sometimes go to other festivals. If they aren't there, Funk and Standard has their donuts and stuff, but its not the whole Snail experience. You can also check out Papa Ganache's table - they also have great vegan snacks.

They do have great organic produce at the farmer's market. There is one stand that has a really great selection of greens <3

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:53 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

They mentioned about a week or two ago on facebook that they will be in Red Bank this Sunday and ever since then I have been dreaming about it. Mmm yummy seitan based sandwich and a donut, but realistically, multiple donuts.

Papa Ganache also has a table? Oh man, I am done for!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next