| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Potty Training Working Too Well?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:31 am 
Baking In The Flavor

By "too well" I mean I myself am having trouble with the transition and am not sure I'm supporting my daughter correctly.

Suddenly Uli's waking up at 5:15am every morning because she has to use the potty. We put her to bed in diapers, but she doesn't like to use them anymore. Once she's up and has gone potty she's up for the day. And it's like she's a newborn again--that's so freakin' early!

Also, she's having some irritated skin and complains of "owies" in the formerly diapered areas. Could she be giving herself a UTI by holding urine in for so long? I don't know if that happens or not, but it worries me. I've have numerous UTIs in the past and they are so horrible... Or could it be yeast now that she's not getting regular wet-wipes? Yeast is horrible too.

I just don't know if it's time for a doctor or if it's just part of the training process. Or maybe it's sleep deprivation (seriously. 5:15 every morning, when it used to be 7:15 just a few weeks ago). My husband suggested putting her back in diapers to see if things go back to "normal," but I don't want to revert back when she's seeming to do so well (at least, she's staying dry. Whether she's "well" is what I'm questioning).

Post subject: Re: Potty Training Working Too Well?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:26 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Note: I am planning to take her to the doctor if she still has complaints. I just don't know if I should view her complaints with a "Yes, this is a whole new world of dry pants and it take some getting used to" lens or a "You must be sick!" lens.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:04 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Don't make her start peeing in diapers again. I can see that being really confusing to her. If she's peeing/pooping in a potty then let her do that. It sucks that she is getting up so early but at least she recognizes that she has to go and then goes...that's great! Once she is a bit older she might start holding it in longer at night and go back to waking up at her usual time.

As for her "owies" I have no idea what it could be but would definitely see a doctor is she still complains. If you think it's not from using wet-wipes anymore why don't you start using them again. After months of Reno not using them I just got some more just so I know she's really clean down there after she uses the toilet.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:53 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I suggest waking your daughter up before you go to bed so t hat she can use the washroom. Just pick her up, whisper 'let's try to go pee,' and sit her on the toilet/potty. I'm pretty sure after that she won't be waking up at 5:15 any more :)
Also, commercial toilet paper is bleached. That could be causing discomfort for her. Take a face cloth, run warm water over it and wipe her with that every time she pees.
Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:23 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Henry's having kind of similar stuff around potty training - waking early, asking to sit on the potty a lot, generally more attention paid to his penis...I'm thinking this is all part of the process. We still do wet-wipes - he's nowhere near able to wipe himself and it just makes sure everything is clean. I'm sure you'll follow up on the pain if need be but I want to assure you that someone else is spending the wee hours in the bathroom too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:30 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

On an unrelated note, what method have you used for potty learning? I'm going to start this week with Noelle, but other than the "no diapers during the day" and naked time, I don't really have a strategy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:09 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

mamatafari wrote:
Also, commercial toilet paper is bleached. That could be causing discomfort for her. Take a face cloth, run warm water over it and wipe her with that every time she pees.

Brilliant! I think this might actually have been the cause of her irritation. Thank you---I hadn't thought of it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:15 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

iloveheeze wrote:
On an unrelated note, what method have you used for potty learning? I'm going to start this week with Noelle, but other than the "no diapers during the day" and naked time, I don't really have a strategy.

I used the book my mom used on me: Potty Training in Less Than a Day. Basically it meant an entire morning dedicated to training, where she and I hung out, talked about the potty, practiced the various stages of the potty (pulling pants on/off, sitting on the potty, carrying the pee-filled potty to the toilet, etc.) and it meant letting her scarf down as many salty snacks as she wanted (to encourage thirst and thus drinking and thus lot of pee for practicing). It was pretty easy.