| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hartford eats
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:54 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

From Happycow it looks like there are two decent options in Hartford CT...Fire and Spice and Abyssinian Restaurant.
Can anyone chime in with reviews/suggestions?

thanks

Post subject: Re: Hartford eats
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:51 am 

I went to Fire & Spice last year with a large group. They had only been open for around two weeks, so they were fairly disorganized and really slow, but the food was great and I'm sure they probably have it together a bit more now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:43 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Tisane is also really vegan-friendly, and there's this awesome Middle Eastern restaurant called Aladdin's that has a lot of options.
Fire&Spice is literally in my backyard, and yet I've never been... Sad.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:30 pm 

Ended up at Fire and Spice. The woman at the counter was very friendly and helpful in describing the options (it wasn't a traditional order off the menu thing; just buffet type choices that you selected and they plated for you), the place was cute and the food was delicious.

go check it out

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:42 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Fire and Spice rocks. the place has been through several changes in ownership, but this one is the best yet.

its actually not just buffet. there are a lot of things that you can have made, but i think most of it has to be kind of pre-ordered. they have a menu with a bunch of fancier dishes on it, but i havent actually tried any of it yet because the buffet stuff is so good.

the Jerk Tofu and BBQ Tempeh are really good, the greens are excellent. one day they made the leftover Jerk Tofu into patties (like veggie/meat style Jamacian patties). they were amazing.

the deal is, its still a Jamacian style place, so it is is very laid back (though better than the previous owners were). so it can be inconsistent with times and choices. but the buffet always has good food and i havent had any problems getting something quick, cheap, and good to eat.

over the summer last year it was super hot in there though. too hot to sit there and eat for me. only problem ive had so far.

havent even heard of Abyssinian yet. hm need to look that up. unless its where the Lions Den used to be. probably is. ill check.

edit: no it isnt. huh. and its right up the block from Fire and Spice. weird. gotta check it out. oh and its Ethiopian, not Rasta as i wouldve guessed. very cool.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:58 pm 
Tofu Pup

there is also ION, (it's only natural) which is not too far away from hartford

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:00 pm 
Tofu Pup

I've only gotten Fire&Spice as take out and I'm sure it's not the same. The guy was very understanding and explained all the items to me and actually suggested food that I may like. It was okay... but the second time I called I wanted to try the pizza and the pizza guy wasn't in... if they don't have a regular guy to make pizza every day don't advertise it... gosh but anyway that's the only problem. I love that everything is made to order though and I would love to have a meet-up there. XD I'm a lonely vegan! Lol

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:31 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

jillrenee wrote:
there is also ION, (it's only natural) which is not too far away from hartford

i <3 it's only natural!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

yes! I like fire and spice, but I like the fact that it is in west hartford the best, I love west hartford. There is an expensive but delicious place in middletown which is kind of close by, but I can't think of it's name.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I can tell you that it's across the street from the chamber of commerce on main street, in the back of something called something-market.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:19 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

booberthefraggle wrote:
yes! I like fire and spice, but I like the fact that it is in west hartford the best, I love west hartford. There is an expensive but delicious place in middletown which is kind of close by, but I can't think of it's name.

fire and spice is technically in hartford rather than west hartford... (it's in my backyard :) ).

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:43 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

oops, then I love whatever neighborhood it is in. I have only been to hartford a couple times, and I have friends who live right near there!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:46 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

HappyVegHead wrote:
I've only gotten Fire&Spice as take out and I'm sure it's not the same. The guy was very understanding and explained all the items to me and actually suggested food that I may like. It was okay... but the second time I called I wanted to try the pizza and the pizza guy wasn't in... if they don't have a regular guy to make pizza every day don't advertise it... gosh but anyway that's the only problem. I love that everything is made to order though and I would love to have a meet-up there. XD I'm a lonely vegan! That's very funny!

yeah we should do a meet up one day. looks like we have a few of us pretty close by. i havent been in way too long.

gotta luck into one of those jerk tofu patties one of these days! so good.

damn i have $20 in my pocket today. i think i need to head over for a quick bite.