| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Protein Powder
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:09 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

PC brand now has a "Vegetarian protein powder" that is a blend of soy, rice, pea and hemp. It has no flavouring so doesn't taste great, but mixed with almond milk it is fine. I have it at work on the mornings I run to work, because I can slurp it down at my desk.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:18 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

appifanie wrote:
I would love to try Vega, but at $7/serving, fork that.

The recommend serving is 2 scoops/16oz which is twice as much as I use. I just do one scoop with 8oz liquid per serving - so it works out to be a little more reasonable $-wise.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:57 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

epicorganic wrote:
appifanie wrote:
I would love to try Vega, but at $7/serving, fork that.

The recommend serving is 2 scoops/16oz which is twice as much as I use. I just do one scoop with 8oz liquid per serving - so it works out to be a little more reasonable $-wise.

karma sent me some of her vega and it was so disgusting i couldn't take it. thanks though :D

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:59 am 

papahjoe wrote:
Ok, not a powder, but Clif Builder Bars are the bomb. It's 20g of soy protein and some vitamins and minerals in a chocolate bar. I eat them straight up or break them into pieces and throw it in with a smoothie.

those things are so good my 4 year old thinks they're candy bars :D

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:01 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

appifanie wrote:
papahjoe wrote:
Ok, not a powder, but Clif Builder Bars are the bomb. It's 20g of soy protein and some vitamins and minerals in a chocolate bar. I eat them straight up or break them into pieces and throw it in with a smoothie.

those things are so good my 4 year old thinks they're candy bars :D

I had such an addiction to those things! They're still great for emergency breakfast when traveling because you can find them pretty much anywhere.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:43 pm 

they're not gluten free so I had to quit them - probably a good thing!

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:35 am 
Huffs Nooch

vegimator wrote:
Go to trueprotein.com and find the custom mix option. It's way cheaper than anything else you're going to find. They have pea, rice, hemp and soy that you can blend however you want and add flavors/sweeteners/creatine/taurine/what have you. I use 70/30 pea/rice because it has the best amino acid profile.

Following your advice, I ordered five pounds of 70/30 pea/rice protein and it tastes awesome. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:56 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I've been trying a new one I found at Whole Foods called Plantfusion. It's a blend of pea, rice, and artichoke(!) proteins, with additional BCAAs added. It's really tasty! Maybe a little too sweet, especially if you don't dilute it down more than the 8 oz of liquid they recommend or if you add it to a fruit smoothie. It dissolves really well though and isn't grainy or chalky at all, which is the best part.

At WF, it's $20 for fifteen 21g protein servings, but I found some online for cheaper: http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-102101-pl ... -bean-1-lb

Nowhere near as cheap as trueprotein, but it tastes so much better, and still a lot cheaper per gram of protein than most of the other vegan stuff I've seen.

ETA: After a bit of googling, this product seems to be almost identical to the Nitrofusion that Taymer mentioned, just marketed/packaged differently with a higher price tag! Plantfusion seems more average consumer, while Nutrafusion seems targeted at people who would shop at GNC. http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-127843-ni ... illa-2-lbs I will admit that their marketing team is doing a good job, because Plantfusion is way cuter, as much as protein powder can be cute.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:14 am 
Tofu Pup

What is the difference between a vegan protein powder and something like say bsn syntha 6 protein for example? Would it be better to take vegan protein powder?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:00 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

mel c wrote:
I've been trying a new one I found at Whole Foods called Plantfusion. It's a blend of pea, rice, and artichoke(!) proteins, with additional BCAAs added. It's really tasty! Maybe a little too sweet, especially if you don't dilute it down more than the 8 oz of liquid they recommend or if you add it to a fruit smoothie. It dissolves really well though and isn't grainy or chalky at all, which is the best part.

At WF, it's $20 for fifteen 21g protein servings, but I found some online for cheaper: http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-102101-pl ... -bean-1-lb

Nowhere near as cheap as trueprotein, but it tastes so much better, and still a lot cheaper per gram of protein than most of the other vegan stuff I've seen.

ETA: After a bit of googling, this product seems to be almost identical to the Nitrofusion that Taymer mentioned, just marketed/packaged differently with a higher price tag! Plantfusion seems more average consumer, while Nutrafusion seems targeted at people who would shop at GNC. http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-127843-ni ... illa-2-lbs I will admit that their marketing team is doing a good job, because Plantfusion is way cuter, as much as protein powder can be cute.

I just got a huge 2 lb. jug of the Plantfusion I ordered off of Amazon and I like it so far. It's very smooth, and blends well. I think I like the taste of Lifetime Life's Basics better, but Plantfusion is cheaper.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:24 pm 
Tofu Pup

My sister just decided that she was a vegan and asked me to get some info for her. Mainly what are the best protein supplements for vegans available?? Any suggestions or if anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be great just so I can get her off my back haha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:38 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just bought vanilla GenSoy Soy Protein Shake. It was only 12 bucks. It's not bad. A little chalky, but it's ok. I"m hoping that if I blend in some fruit it might be better. So far, I've blended it with the Silk Pumpkin soymilk and a little bit of nutmeg and cinnamon.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:44 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Bumping this thread to ask:
Has anyone used both Garden of Life Raw Protein and Sun Warrior? How do they compare flavor and texture-wise? I have the Garden of Life but find it a bit gritty.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:34 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Garden of Life is actually smoother than Sun Warrior. It also tastes more neutral. Sun Warrior is gritty and has a very overpowering stevia taste. I can deal with Garden of Life way more than I can deal with Sun Warrior. The stevia taste is just nasty to me. However given the choice of all the vegan protein powders, I would choose Life's Basics Plant Protein in unsweetened, then add my own sweetener (and cinnamon and ginger). Life's Basics also has sweetened versions but they are a bit sweeter than I like - you might try them if you like sweet. Life's Basics mixes smoothly and has no yucky aftertaste. PlantFusion/NitroFusion is also better than Sun Warrior or Garden of Life. That's my second choice if there is no Life's Basics around. Growing Naturals has good chocolate protein but I would just as soon mix Life's Basics with sweetener and cocoa if I want chocolate. The plain Growing Naturals is pretty close to Garden of Life in taste.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:18 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

stellamarie wrote:
Garden of Life is actually smoother than Sun Warrior. It also tastes more neutral. Sun Warrior is gritty and has a very overpowering stevia taste. I can deal with Garden of Life way more than I can deal with Sun Warrior. The stevia taste is just nasty to me.

Ive found the exact opposite. Sun Warrior is much easier to mix and is less gritty when added to drinks.

Also they make Sun Warrior in a natural form where there is no flavor or stevia added.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:31 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I honestly think that stevia just doesn't "work" on some people. I've actually had a five minute delay between eating something with stevia in and having the sweetness arrive. It went "man, this chocolate tastes awful" *leave for work* *get halfway* BOOM THE AIR TASTES OF SUGAR.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:26 am 
Tofu Pup

I'm a fan of just plain old pea protein isolate. A scoop in either apple juice or rice milk does the job. Add a bit of spirulina for a bile-looking treat.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:46 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I got a sample of vega chocolate in the mail, so I tried it this morning. I can confirm that that shiitake tastes like cat peas.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:07 am 
WRETCHED

aww I like chocolate vega although I haven't tried the new formulation.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:43 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I tried the chai Vega and thought it was good.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:04 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I've only had it once (this morning) but I really liked the Sun Warrior. I don't know if I blended it longer, but it seemed to be smoother or dissolve better. The flavor was a little stronger, but not overly stevia like. I think I was actually tasting the 'vanilla' flavor (which I usually don't taste over the banana and mango I put in the smoothie).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:06 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Well, I went and tried a few recently, with not much luck. I tried ones that had little mini-packets, so I could try them without spending a ton one that I don't like. I was hoping to find a whole meal type powder I could have for breakfast with only soymilk I could make in my Blender Bottle at my desk at work.

I think Vega tastes terrible. Yes, it is fine with say, a banana blended in, but that is not an option for me to bring to work. The Chai is probably the best but way to sweet. And it is HELLA expensive. I do however bring the individual packets with me when I travel since often all I eat is french fries and salad. I feel much better if I drink one a day, despite the taste

Amazing Meal: not bad really, just mixed with vanilla soymilk. Only 90 calories. Did include some vitamins besides just protein (not as much as Vega) Still expensive though.

Raw Protein: vanilla, also not bad. Slightly more calories and more expensive than amazing meal. Not any extra vitimans that made a difference.

In the end, I went with the same one I have been using for the last couple of years (pic below). Its very cheap (big container only $18.99) tastes pretty good - chocolate. Its a little bland, but I put a splenda or a bit of agave in with light vanilla soy milk in my blender bottle and can drink at work. It tastes AMAZING in a blender with soymilk, banana and blueberries. Or strawberries. It is only 57 calories, and has 12g of protein, and with soymilk that puts it at around 20g. Pretty good for the price I think. It's not a whole meal shake, but with some fruit on the side, it makes an ok breakfast.

I am interested in Sun Warrior, it looks like it has good protien and vitamins, but I am scared to buy a huge container and not like it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:15 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

The nutribiotic vanilla is good, too, Chicki! I usually always add it to a smoothie though, with frozen banana, spinach, almond milk, and usually another sweet fruit (frozen mango as of late). It's kind of my fall back/standard, but when I ran out of the tub, I decided to try a couple of other things out. Sun Warrior was on Spencer's Market, so it was still expensive, but I felt a little better about trying it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:57 pm 
WRETCHED

I personally don't feel that rice protein is 'enough'. I'd prefer a rice/pea protein mix and actually I did order some not too long ago from a website where you can make your own protein powder mixes. I can't remember the site though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:44 am 
WRETCHED

I found Vega sport on sale yesterday so I bought it. I've never tried it so I was curious. I was drinking it, my husband came back from his run, kissed him and he asked me what was in my shake because he thought it was numbing. I told him he was crazy. Then a few minutes later, I realized it was slightly numbing. Very odd. I don't mind it but I'm not sure what in it that gives that sensation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next