| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: NaNoWriMo
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:16 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Is anyone doing it?

I just signed up. I must be losing my mind if I really think I'm going to do it, since I don't even know what to write about...but, hey, maybe! I may end up writing something that isn't really a novel. Who knows?

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: NaNoWriMo
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:24 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Have you ever done it before? I've been doing it for years and I LOVE it! It really kicks my asparagus into gear and forces me to write, whereas normally I'm way too insecure and I talk myself out of actually doing any writing. Plus the Boston region has an amazing community. You should check out the boards for your area to see if they host any events, because those are so much fun!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:13 pm 
Tortilla Rita's character account

I love NaNoWriMo. I will never forget how it felt to finish a novel for the first time, and that was seven years ago.

Unfortunately, it falls in a really busy month for me at work and this year, I just don't have it in me to participate. But I highly recommend it to all.

Good luck and have fun!

blog | vegan blog | twitter

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:19 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Nope, I've never done it before. I always have friends who are doing it and it sounds like so much fun, and I really want to write something...I just don't know what I want to write!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:25 pm 
Chip Strong

My sister was talking about doing this, I'm not really a good writer and I'm way too busy with school, but it sounds like a cool idea.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:26 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Rubella wrote:
I'm not really a good writer and I'm way too busy with school, but it sounds like a cool idea.

This exactly. . .

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:46 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

I was all set to do it. I have a synopsis and everything, but my responsible adult self is preemptively finger wagging at my creative self that there's no way I'll have time to do this and work on the research I want to try to get published this winter. Booo.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:34 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I've tried for two years and failed both times. This year I'm determined to finish it! ... even though I haven't got a single idea yet. But I think I like that better. Last year I had every single chapter thought out and I was kind of bored writing it and just gave up (granted, I wasn't in a very good place at the time either). This year I think I'm just going to sit down and write. It'll be fantasy - it's always fantasy - and there'll probably be some political aspect, but I refused to plan this month. Which means I'll probably fail, but hey, at least I'll fail in a different way than I did last year!

Good luck to everyone else, I'm looking forward to it!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:43 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

yay! this will be my second year - I say just sit down and write and see what comes out - I didn't even know people planned out chapters and stuff - daaaamn

-alice1drland

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:19 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Excellent! This is my fifth year doing it - this is my first year writing with a child though, so I'm worried about winning this year...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:30 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I'll be doing it for the first time this year. I've meant to do it every year since I was thirteen, but I always miss it for some reason.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:35 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I'm doing it. I'm hoping to win this year because last year was a miserable fail. I feel insane for attempting this and MoFo among other things.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:11 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm doing it. I failed last year because I was sick, but I'm so going to make it this time.
In case anyone wants to add me as their writing buddy, my NaNo name is Anathema Device (after the young witch in Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, and also my BookCrossing name). :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:39 pm 

The only thing that worries me about this is the fact that you have to upload your novel after it is done, to prove that you've done it. I'm really paranoid it will get stolen, even if it turns out to be utter crepe.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:57 pm 

I'm starting to be a little nervous. I have an idea... but fork me sideways, it's NOT a fantasy story! It takes place in the real world, and there's no magic, no alternate dimensions, no made up anything. Actual people. This is a problem for me! The one thing I could always rely on is that if I needed something to be possible, I could just decide that in that world, it was possible! I've finished six (almost seven) really awful stories with that logic! How am I going to bullshiitake my way out of plotholes when it takes place in the real world?!

Anyway, good luck all. It's sunday evening here at the moment, so I have one more night and then it's on, baby.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:58 pm 
Double double, toil and trouble

I don't write, but I know several professional writers, and given how much time they put into writing a novel I do not understand how anyone could write anything substantial (and good) in a month!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:09 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Dr. Horrible wrote:
I'm starting to be a little nervous. I have an idea... but fork me sideways, it's NOT a fantasy story! It takes place in the real world, and there's no magic, no alternate dimensions, no made up anything. Actual people. This is a problem for me! The one thing I could always rely on is that if I needed something to be possible, I could just decide that in that world, it was possible! I've finished six (almost seven) really awful stories with that logic! How am I going to bullshiitake my way out of plotholes when it takes place in the real world?!

Anyway, good luck all. It's sunday evening here at the moment, so I have one more night and then it's on, baby.

Whenever I need a way out of a plothole, I play ideas ping pong with a friend. Talk it back and forth over a beer (or coffee or chai latte or whatever) until it's resolved! It totally works, and I've come up with some really crazy (but working and plausible) ideas that way. All it needed was the right sort of nudge from a like-minded friend.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:13 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Niev wrote:
The only thing that worries me about this is the fact that you have to upload your novel after it is done, to prove that you've done it. I'm really paranoid it will get stolen, even if it turns out to be utter crepe.

They address this somewhere in the FAQ--it essentially just goes into server RAM to get counted, and then gets deleted.

However, something they suggest if you are worried about that is to save a copy of your novel and do a find and replace where you go through and replace letters with another letter (IE change every A to a J and every S to a W or something) or replace real words with made-up ones. The computer that does the word count validation isn't checking if your words are REAL, just if they're there.

Also, you don't HAVE to upload and show you did it. That's just how you get the big winner badge on your forum page and that kind of stuff. If you don't care about that, then no worries!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:44 pm 

DarthCupcake wrote:
Niev wrote:

They address this somewhere in the FAQ--it essentially just goes into server RAM to get counted, and then gets deleted.

However, something they suggest if you are worried about that is to save a copy of your novel and do a find and replace where you go through and replace letters with another letter (IE change every A to a J and every S to a W or something) or replace real words with made-up ones. The computer that does the word count validation isn't checking if your words are REAL, just if they're there.

Also, you don't HAVE to upload and show you did it. That's just how you get the big winner badge on your forum page and that kind of stuff. If you don't care about that, then no worries!

I didn't see this in the FAQ. I actually feel a lot better now. The replacement letter thing is great idea. Thank you.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:20 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

chop_socky wrote:
I don't write, but I know several professional writers, and given how much time they put into writing a novel I do not understand how anyone could write anything substantial (and good) in a month!

I think the website even talks about the fact that it's probably going to be crepe, but I guess it's about proving that you can write so many words in 30 days.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:23 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

mixmaster_mo wrote:
chop_socky wrote:

I think the website even talks about the fact that it's probably going to be crepe, but I guess it's about proving that you can write so many words in 30 days.

Also, the NaNo page tells you somewhere that you shouldn't expect having written a finished novel at the end of November. It's good practice, and you may have a finished rough draft. If it's good, you can spend more time revising it, and...voilà.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:04 pm 
Tortilla Rita's character account

Ok, I changed my mind for the time being. I'm in. Again.

Oh, NaNoWriMo, I can't quit you.

blog | vegan blog | twitter

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:28 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Phoenix wrote:
mixmaster_mo wrote:
chop_socky wrote:

Also, the NaNo page tells you somewhere that you shouldn't expect having written a finished novel at the end of November. It's good practice, and you may have a finished rough draft. If it's good, you can spend more time revising it, and...voilà.

Yeah, the idea is to bypass the internal critical editor and all the excuses so that you finish something, and that that success will begat more success.

I was planning to do it, but I a, too far behind on school work. I will do it on my own I. January.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:32 pm 
Double double, toil and trouble

Phoenix wrote:
mixmaster_mo wrote:
chop_socky wrote:

That makes more sense! I've never read up on it (seriously, when I say "I don't write" what I really mean is "I am the least creative person ever, so I couldn't write fiction even if I wanted to"), but the notion of writing a novel in 30 days has always blown my mind.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:23 pm 

I spilled half a liter of coke on my MacBook during the first day of Nanowrimo. I had almost 700 words and now I have to start over. I'm so pissed off. (And I'm not even mentioning the fact that my MacBook is dead, which is seriously... so painful.) I'm trying to get it back together, I'm at 300 words now, but it feels like it's not going to happen for me this year.

I must pick it up tomorrow!

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next