| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Irritable Bowel Syndrome - IBS
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:39 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Both ways, extra searchable!

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Irritable Bowel Syndrome - IBS
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:11 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

sometimes i feel like bananas are my only safe food.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:12 pm 

And I'm not convinced bananas are safe for me. It's so sad to stand in the kitchen hungry and not know what's safe to eat.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:11 pm 
Crazy bat lady

My husband's is SUPER acting up. What should I make for dinner? It seems that since Sunday everything is setting it off.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:01 pm 

scalloped potatoes. and carrot salad with walnuts and tempeh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:53 pm 

kelvia - hard to say - what bothers him the most? does he have foods he's safer with? does anything sound okay to him?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:29 am 

I think - and I know this is weird - I think acidopholus is a trigger for me. I've had it plain and in a mix and in both instances, badness.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:35 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I can't drink caffeine and can't have hot food or drink. Those are just a few triggers for me. Still trying to work out the rest. :(

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:35 am 

miss snackura wrote:
I can't drink caffeine and can't have hot food or drink. Those are just a few triggers for me. Still trying to work out the rest. :(

all things hot? temperature wise? :O if that's definitely true, I would consider taking one of the meds if I were you. I have an anti-spasmodic Rx filled and waiting for me but I don't want to take it yet.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:58 pm 
Naked Under Apron

i used to have IBS, had suffered from it ever since i was 4 - cut out gluten last year and it completely disappeared within 4 days. superw00t! i don't know if anyone else has tried going gluten-free to help reduce IBS, but it worked for me and i thought i'd share.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:18 am 

happyfaced - awesome! did you test positive for gluten intolerance?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:41 am 
Naked Under Apron

nope - i've never been tested, actually. about a year and a half ago i cut out sugar, gluten, alcohol, coffee, and i ate raw up until dinner and then 80/20 (80% raw/20% cooked) for dinner - i did this for 28 days. by day 4 i stopped having to use the restroom 12+ times a day. it was awesome! since then i've introduced everything back into my diet except for the gluten and my IBS just doesn't exist anymore. a few months back i broke down and had a whole wheat pita with some hummus and oooooh, that was not good. :( while i don't think i have celiacs, i definitely have some sort of intolerance. some times it kinda sucks not being able to eat gluten (dining out can get kinda tricky, as a gluten-free vegan i stike out a lot), but not suffering from IBS anymore makes it all worth it! :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:41 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I'm quite certain I have IBS. When I was in high school, I was hardly ever in school beacuse of the stomach ache (+ I had to go to the bathroom about 10 times/day). It's been a lot better since I stopped eating dairy about a year ago (when I went vegan). Apparently I'm not lactose intolerant though, at least that's what my doctor told me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:57 pm 

My doc (allergist) just told me I'm not lactose intolerant either, even though I've been certain I was for at least 20 years or so - go figure.

So I was wondering in Wal-Mart yesterday when I started getting that flushed, I'm hot and I feel ill feeling if it's temperature activated? Like the store felt warmer - maybe it wasn't just me - maybe it really was the store? Maybe that's why some stores make me feel sick?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:16 pm 

I've got that I'm going to be in trouble soon feeling and it's almost time to take the kid trick or treating - cross your fingers for me!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:46 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

happyfaced wrote:
nope - i've never been tested, actually. about a year and a half ago i cut out sugar, gluten, alcohol, coffee, and i ate raw up until dinner and then 80/20 (80% raw/20% cooked) for dinner - i did this for 28 days. by day 4 i stopped having to use the restroom 12+ times a day. it was awesome! since then i've introduced everything back into my diet except for the gluten and my IBS just doesn't exist anymore. a few months back i broke down and had a whole wheat pita with some hummus and oooooh, that was not good. :( while i don't think i have celiacs, i definitely have some sort of intolerance. some times it kinda sucks not being able to eat gluten (dining out can get kinda tricky, as a gluten-free vegan i stike out a lot), but not suffering from IBS anymore makes it all worth it! :)

I'm so glad that you were able to beat this. It gives me hope!
Just wondering when you did the 80/20 diet, were you eating nuts?

appifanie wrote:
I've got that I'm going to be in trouble soon feeling and it's almost time to take the kid trick or treating - cross your fingers for me!

Fingers are crossed.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:04 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

appifanie wrote:
miss snackura wrote:

all things hot? temperature wise? :O if that's definitely true, I would consider taking one of the meds if I were you. I have an anti-spasmodic Rx filled and waiting for me but I don't want to take it yet.

I know that hot chocolate and coffee are really really bad for me and just send me straight to the bathroom. I always let my food cool down a lot before I eat it. it's not really a big deal though because it's easy to avoid.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:05 am 

Asparagus - It was nice knowing you. Never again. Though I guess it coulda been the extra virgin olive oil or the Bolthouse Farms Chai?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:07 am 

ahh the ever present dilemma - i'm hungry, but my stomach hurts - what to eat?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:06 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Mine has largely disappearred over the last few months, which makes me think it was almost certainly stress triggered. I am now left with occasional bloating/excessive wind, which I think it just because I love museli a little too much and I can live with it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:14 am 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

appifanie wrote:

This is the worst. I'm always hungry before going out somewhere, but I know that half the things I would eat would send me running to the bathroom once I make it out the door. Whole wheat toast is usually a good option for me. A bowl of cereal and soy milk. Definitely no beans or tempeh or soup!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:17 pm 

appifanie wrote:
My doc (allergist) just told me I'm not lactose intolerant either, even though I've been certain I was for at least 20 years or so - go figure.

So I was wondering in Wal-Mart yesterday when I started getting that flushed, I'm hot and I feel ill feeling if it's temperature activated? Like the store felt warmer - maybe it wasn't just me - maybe it really was the store? Maybe that's why some stores make me feel sick?

i often have erm "attacks" when i'm on the phone. why?! also it is one of those days. i had been managing so well too!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:37 am 

Thessaly wrote:
appifanie wrote:

This is the worst. I'm always hungry before going out somewhere, but I know that half the things I would eat would send me running to the bathroom once I make it out the door. Whole wheat toast is usually a good option for me. A bowl of cereal and soy milk. Definitely no beans or tempeh or soup!

exactly! smoothie? no. maybe some ww toast. i have to be careful of breads, cause some give me a migraine - oy.

fupa - i had to hang up quick on my mom yesterday, but that was because i thought i was about to throw up - ugh.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:27 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Wow! It's a relief to see that others are in the same boat as me (not that I would ever wish someone to have it!) With IBS, I feel so alone. Not only are all my family members MEAT EATERS (EWWW), none of them suffer from IBS. Recently, I have been thinking about switching to a RAW diet because this past fall, my body has decided against soy and possibly wheat... My doc and I are doing testing this week. It's really hard because I have always relied on soy in one way or another.

I recently picked up this herbal formula from wholefoods and so far, it has helped. It's called Lily of the desert Aloe herbal Stomach Formula.... It balances the stomach acidity naturally. And it contains aloe, peppermint, chamomile, ginger, slippery elm, and fennel. I already drink fennel and peppermint tea everyday, but when I saw this, I thought it sounded like a win.

Anyone else have any crazy concoctions they consume to help with IBS?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:39 pm 

no concoctions but that sounds good! i seem to react oddly to various things though so i'd probably rather try some of those things separately before trying them all together.

i got this book from the library - http://www.amazon.com/Eating-IBS-Delici ... 544&sr=8-1 - and it's got some great info and a lot of the recipes are vegan or easily veganizable, and the author in the beginning praises veg*nism and says she thinks she'll go vegan eventually. and her site is http://www.helpforibs.com/ and i'm going to look around

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next