| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan in Kansas
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:28 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I'm I the only one? Hehe. Hooray Midwest subforum!!

Post subject: Re: Vegan in Kansas
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:39 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Yep, not too much around these parts!

I lived in Lawrence for 3 years. There are a number of vegans there, but none on the ppk that I know of. There's a free vegetarian (but always serves vegan too) lunch on campus every Thursday, and they encourage you to get to know the other people at your table. Every month there's a vegan potluck at the same location (ECM building).

There's a friend of mine in Hays(!) that's puts on vegan potlucks and he has a kitty rescue program.

There's a good chance that I'm the only vegan in a 35 mile radius here.

In April I'm moving to Warrensburg, MO and working at the town's first vegan Restaurant!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:43 pm 

Yea, Lawrence is the closest thing to a real, diverse eating city. You should tell your hays friend to join ppk! And congrats on the sweet job! Thanks for posting ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:55 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I lived in Wichita for a few years and graduated from WSU! Go Shockers!

I was only "semi-vegetarian" then and even that was tough and oh how I was mocked.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:58 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

My dad lives in Wichita, and I visit every once in a while!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:28 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I go down to Kansas City all the time and swing through Lawrence pretty frequently.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Holy crepe, papahjoe, I can't believe there's someone here from King City! My mom grew up there and I was born in Albany.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:15 am 
So Totally Yiffy

no shiitake!

My dad grew up in King City. I moved here and have been filling in as a caretaker for my grandmother for the past year. How crazy...

My last name is Post, there's a fair chance that our folks know of each other, especially if your mom was born in the mid-40s.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:44 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I'm in Wichita! (well, Derby, but close enough) I went to K-State in Manhattan, KS several years back when I was first finding vegetarianism, but I've been vegan since Jan 2010.

My profile pic was taken at d'Sozo in Wichita. If any of you are ever in the neighborhood, you need to try it out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:48 pm 

SuprgrrlJes wrote:
I'm in Wichita! (well, Derby, but close enough) I went to K-State in Manhattan, KS several years back when I was first finding vegetarianism, but I've been vegan since Jan 2010.

My profile pic was taken at d'Sozo in Wichita. If any of you are ever in the neighborhood, you need to try it out.

Hooray! I actually haven't been to D'Sozo yet (my boyfriend is a chef, so if he doesn't like a place, I generally stay away; I know...silly). Maybe someday there will be a Kansas veg fes!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:10 pm 

SuprgrrlJes wrote:

my ex fiance's very nice sister lives in Derby.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:43 am 

I loooooooooooooooooooove d'Sozo. Eaten there probably more times than I should have. If it's your first time there, try one of their regular menu items and maybe a smoothie (Jurassic Green is the BEST). I've been getting their chef's daily specials the last couple of times I went. He's so creative and nice--he even brings out your food if the wait staff is too busy. I'm actually going this coming Sunday for lunch (didn't make it last weekend, they close at 3pm).

I also want to try Lotus Leaf Cafe in the Delano District of Wichita. They've only been open 4 months now. I actually got to have some drinks with their chef after his shift last Saturday (I know, right?? Awesome to be able to TALK vegan w/someone in person). He told me he's looking for a great, natural vegan crepe recipe, which he says people request all the time when they come in. I haven't made any crepes (like ever)...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:22 am 

SuprgrrlJes wrote:
I loooooooooooooooooooove d'Sozo. Eaten there probably more times than I should have. If it's your first time there, try one of their regular menu items and maybe a smoothie (Jurassic Green is the BEST). I've been getting their chef's daily specials the last couple of times I went. He's so creative and nice--he even brings out your food if the wait staff is too busy. I'm actually going this coming Sunday for lunch (didn't make it last weekend, they close at 3pm).

I also want to try Lotus Leaf Cafe in the Delano District of Wichita. They've only been open 4 months now. I actually got to have some drinks with their chef after his shift last Saturday (I know, right?? Awesome to be able to TALK vegan w/someone in person). He told me he's looking for a great, natural vegan crepe recipe, which he says people request all the time when they come in. I haven't made any crepes (like ever)...

I know the chef (James). He used to work with my boyfriend. I haven't heard good things about Lotus Leaf unfortunately; overpriced, food takes forever, etc. Plus, he asked me about vegan crepes and said that he was just going to use a recipe a friend of his had given him (turns out it's the Vegan Brunch recipe, which is cool, but not creative on his part). Who knows, maybe I'm just a food snob :-/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:35 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I actually went vegan while living in Garden City (it actually has a feedlot in city limits), but had a few vegetarian friends there. Shockingly, I came across a family of raw vegans before I moved.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:06 pm 

Holy crepe! I just realized I served Suprgrrljes drinks last night at my job! Haha. Small world

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:05 am 

HAHA Awesome! I totally didn't realize that was you working at the bar! My hubs and I go there all the time. He went to school w/several El Doradoans there, and Nick was the officiant for our wedding last year.

And at the party, it was great meeting you! I've been so busy w/the end of the semester, so I didn't see your previous post LOL!

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:25 pm 
Inflexitarian

I'll be coming home in July. I'm from Wichita and my entire family/most of my friends live there. I'm good friends with most of the Rennies and a lot of the local music peeps. (went to High school with them...but we're in our 30's)
None of my friends are veg at all...my sister knows a few younger people she went to school with (peeps in their early 20's) that are vegetarian, maybe vegan. She's veg, but she's living in Manhattan.
I know I do pretty good when I go home for food. My parents go to great lengths to make sure I eat well despite their love of their omni lifestyle. I love when my Grandmother insists on taking me to Food for Thought. I almost wish I could move home, but financially I would never find a sustainable job. I just have a solid support system there I can't quite form down in Texas.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:38 am 

semolina was the first place i had pad thai - is it still there?

i actually miss wichita a lot somedays - people who mock KS clearly have never been.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:17 pm 
Tofu Pup

Ha! I grew up in a Kansas City suburb for most of my life.. then went to college in SE Kansas (stab.. stab). I felt like quite an outcast when it came to my ethics and dietary choices. I've been researching places to eat when I go back to visit (5+ years free, yeahhh) and I was totally shocked by the number of awesome choices that are in KC and Lawrence now that didn't exist when I needed them.

/random

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:30 pm 

I don't think Semolina is still around. Never went there while it was open, but I found an article online saying it had closed...

Sometimes I want to move REALLY far away from KS (and our politicians...). But we're kind of more unique here. Elusive and cunning. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:31 pm 

Didn't mean that as a jab at anywhere else in the world. Just you don't expect to find vegans in the Midwest, esp. Kansas.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:11 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I'll be in KC in a week or so. Suggestions for awesomeness? Cool nature stuff, cool shopping, good eats?

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:17 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Get nachos at FUD, dessert at Eden Alley, hit up the Nelson-Atkin and Kemper for art (they are walking distance from each other and close to Eden Alley), bum around on the Plaza, get vegan pizza from Waldo Pizza. Maybe do the Farmer's Market? There's a Lush at Oak Park Mall, if you need such a thing. Westport and 39th Street are also fun areas.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:35 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I went to Eden Alley the last time I was there and was really impressed. It's in a church basement, which makes for kind of weird atmosphere, but the food is good.

I love Bluebird Bistro, too.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:14 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Cafe Seed is the other vegan place in KC. 38th and Cherry. They do a lot of American-style food, and the decor has this cool afro-art vibe goin on. I recommend a smoothie with a burger, or brunch.