| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:03 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:14 pm
Posts: 1429
Location: The Latham Compound
AndyDufresne wrote:
I wonder if anyone knows what this plant is.
Image
I was out weeding in the garden today and noticed a lot of this. I don't think it's something I planted, but I can't be sure! It's really viney.


It looks like it could be Morning Glory, which is pretty invasive. It does flower though, but climbs all over everything and chokes out other stuff.

_________________
http://megatarian.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:18 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:31 pm
Posts: 2133
Location: 510
Our little yard! There isn't much space for gardening, especially since we're surrounded by big trees, taller houses, and a hill. We've had to redo the flagstone and the French drain to keep our basement dry, so now I can finally concentrate on making it pretty and edible!

Image

I built a little structure for the beans to climb on this weekend. Squash, strawberries, and nasturtiums are along the garage on the left. Excuse the dirty patio; I made quite a mess excavating the French drain and never really cleaned up after myself.
Image

I didn't want to waste the green beans after thinning, so I put the extras in a container in the side yard. I also started some more lettuce and Thai basil.
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:39 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:32 pm
Posts: 342
Location: Portland, OR
rabidchild wrote:
It looks like it could be Morning Glory, which is pretty invasive. It does flower though, but climbs all over everything and chokes out other stuff.


From what I can tell, the leaves of this plant are thicker and more waxy than morning glory. Also a more olive-toned green and come to a sharper point. I really have no idea, though. Maybe! Thanks for the suggestion!

_________________
http://inmyvegangarden.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:41 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:32 pm
Posts: 342
Location: Portland, OR
mel c wrote:
Our little yard! There isn't much space for gardening, especially since we're surrounded by big trees, taller houses, and a hill. We've had to redo the flagstone and the French drain to keep our basement dry, so now I can finally concentrate on making it pretty and edible!

Image

I built a little structure for the beans to climb on this weekend. Squash, strawberries, and nasturtiums are along the garage on the left. Excuse the dirty patio; I made quite a mess excavating the French drain and never really cleaned up after myself.
Image

I didn't want to waste the green beans after thinning, so I put the extras in a container in the side yard. I also started some more lettuce and Thai basil.
Image


I love your patio garden, especially with those beautiful, mature trees! What a nice outdoor space.

_________________
http://inmyvegangarden.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:01 am 
ol' garly cooch
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:41 pm
Posts: 2826
Location: Kashyyyk
yay! now that i have figured out how to post pics, i'll be posting some stuff tonight. i really enjoy the diversity of everyone's space.

_________________
I'm not dead, just sick.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:19 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:38 pm
Posts: 4183
Location: Vancouver Island
Mars wrote:
Is your Euphorbia quite a bit bigger now? I keep seeing these GIANT euphorbia's all over town... Love them. I'm using them in flower arrangements too right now, so fun.

It was huge but someone or something ripped it out :( I had it set aside to replant and the landlords caretaker threw it out...

_________________
tofulish wrote:
Human, the tastiest animal of all.


Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:32 am 
ol' garly cooch
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:41 pm
Posts: 2826
Location: Kashyyyk
rabidchild wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:
I wonder if anyone knows what this plant is.
Image
I was out weeding in the garden today and noticed a lot of this. I don't think it's something I planted, but I can't be sure! It's really viney.


It looks like it could be Morning Glory, which is pretty invasive. It does flower though, but climbs all over everything and chokes out other stuff.



it's either morning glory or vineweed. both invasive. i don't think vineweed flowers though, so it's probably the former rather than the latter.

_________________
I'm not dead, just sick.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:14 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 1641
Location: Brisbane, Australia
mollyjade wrote:
Image
My nephew picking carrots in the garden.

Seriously cute.

I feel like all I can grow is arugula and cilantro. What gives garden? WHAT GIVES.

_________________
Mel makes vegan food


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:41 am 
ol' garly cooch
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:41 pm
Posts: 2826
Location: Kashyyyk
veglicious, have you tested the pH of your soil? what are you feeding your plants? have you considered passive hydroponics-(growing in non soil media). for those of you growing in containers, are you using containers that can drain well? drill or poke some holes so the plants don't cook themselves.

mel c- i'm incredibly envious of that back patio area. so cute!

kids+gardens=squee. a sign of a healthy child is when they are dirty from playing outside!

i finally took a bunch of pics last night and will get them downloaded to flicker later. i've been juggling a bunch of other things in addition to my normal mommy duties.

_________________
I'm not dead, just sick.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:12 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:32 pm
Posts: 342
Location: Portland, OR
Momo wrote:
Mars wrote:
Is your Euphorbia quite a bit bigger now? I keep seeing these GIANT euphorbia's all over town... Love them. I'm using them in flower arrangements too right now, so fun.

It was huge but someone or something ripped it out :( I had it set aside to replant and the landlords caretaker threw it out...


That's sad!

_________________
http://inmyvegangarden.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:16 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:14 pm
Posts: 1429
Location: The Latham Compound
I don't have pictures today because it's pouring rain (and will be all week) but I have BABIES! I have pea shoots, and wee little baby kales, and wee little baby lettuce, and radishes that shot up overnight, AND I have currents and gooseberries the size of peppercorns! The gooseberries are SO COOL because they're striped like gooseberries, only wee itty bitty. I won't get more than a handful of each this year, since I just put the bushes in last year, but I am totally psyched anyway!!

_________________
http://megatarian.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:22 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:32 pm
Posts: 342
Location: Portland, OR
rabidchild wrote:
I don't have pictures today because it's pouring rain (and will be all week) but I have BABIES! I have pea shoots, and wee little baby kales, and wee little baby lettuce, and radishes that shot up overnight, AND I have currents and gooseberries the size of peppercorns! The gooseberries are SO COOL because they're striped like gooseberries, only wee itty bitty. I won't get more than a handful of each this year, since I just put the bushes in last year, but I am totally psyched anyway!!


Exciting! Yes photos, please! I love baby plants!

_________________
http://inmyvegangarden.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:48 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 1641
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Nope I haven't tested the pH, I will do that if things don't grow very well. I think maybe I'm just too impatient. I can see carrot tops coming up. :)

_________________
Mel makes vegan food


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:21 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:17 pm
Posts: 3781
Location: Austin
My dad gave me 8 assorted tomato plants, 3 tomatillos, and lots of onion sets when I visited him this weekend. And yesterday I bought 50 gallons of VEGAN compost for $15 at a local garden store and put together my second garden frame. I'm in garden heaven.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:19 pm 
ol' garly cooch
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:41 pm
Posts: 2826
Location: Kashyyyk
mollyjade wrote:
My dad gave me 8 assorted tomato plants, 3 tomatillos, and lots of onion sets when I visited him this weekend. And yesterday I bought 50 gallons of VEGAN compost for $15 at a local garden store and put together my second garden frame. I'm in garden heaven.


score!

_________________
I'm not dead, just sick.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:58 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 1434
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Indoors: the basil survived winter and is starting to prosper again.
Image

On the balcony (facing south-west, sunny in the afternoon and evening)
The mint was in an awful condition, but after a radical cut and much sun exposure, it's sprouting again! Image

Zucchinis:
Image

Various lettuces:
Image
Image

They were the first seeds I planted, and I had no idea so many of them would take. That's why they're so crowded!
And yes, they're growing in dumpstered drawers:
Image

On the roof, I'm growing leek:
Image


Now here's what my landlord is growing: cherry tomatoes:
Image

A shitload of peppers:
Image

And many greens:
Image
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:42 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:20 pm
Posts: 6761
Location: Portland, OR
YUM... love the container garden thing you/your landlord have going on. Also cute pup!

_________________
i would schmear marmite on a moist scrotum for Mars. - interrobang?!
"Not everything." ~ mumbles (1973-2013) - mumbles


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:12 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:20 pm
Posts: 6761
Location: Portland, OR
Ooh question... I didn't visit my plot in a little longer than I should have, and when I went yesterday I noticed my mustard greens were bolting a little. I picked off all the flower heads... That is the thing to do usually right? Reading through a google search it seems to be that many people just give up entirely if that happens, pull the entire plant. I tasted the leaves, sure, they're a bit bitter I suppose but they're still tasty, and with dressing the bitterness won't be noticeable. Anyhow, google said nothing about clipping off bolt-heads but I swear I've read before that's the thing to do to slow it down.

_________________
i would schmear marmite on a moist scrotum for Mars. - interrobang?!
"Not everything." ~ mumbles (1973-2013) - mumbles


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:45 pm 
ol' garly cooch
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:41 pm
Posts: 2826
Location: Kashyyyk
Mars wrote:
Ooh question... I didn't visit my plot in a little longer than I should have, and when I went yesterday I noticed my mustard greens were bolting a little. I picked off all the flower heads... That is the thing to do usually right? Reading through a google search it seems to be that many people just give up entirely if that happens, pull the entire plant. I tasted the leaves, sure, they're a bit bitter I suppose but they're still tasty, and with dressing the bitterness won't be noticeable. Anyhow, google said nothing about clipping off bolt-heads but I swear I've read before that's the thing to do to slow it down.


yep, you're right. if anything, the bigger mustard gets, the spicier it becomes. lettuces typically bolt in heat.

_________________
I'm not dead, just sick.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:43 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:04 am
Posts: 2089
Location: nj
I clip the heads off my basil to slow down bolting, but haven't tried it with mustard greens. Last year I just let them go, and they ended up with a ridiculous infestation of white flies. I guess mustard greens + super hot summer = white flies! This year I'm going to make sure I harvest them before that happens!

_________________
I'm not asking for utopian dreams...just a little peace in this world. That's a logical thing. - Deee-Lite


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:12 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:38 pm
Posts: 4183
Location: Vancouver Island
The back steps got a facelift today!
Image
Snapdragons, Dianthus & Lobelia Riviera
Image
Same combo as above, different pot
Image
Some teeny tiny Chicks n Hens and a beautiful new purple leafy plant, the name escapes me atm.
Image
Schizanthus, Cosmos, Mini rose bush, Lobelia Regatta, Salvia and a few others
Image
Same combo as above, different pot, different colour varieties
Image

_________________
tofulish wrote:
Human, the tastiest animal of all.


Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:29 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:32 pm
Posts: 342
Location: Portland, OR
Oou! These container gardens are fabulous! Momo, that unidentified purple plant is "Purple Queen" (Tradescantia pallida) I believe.

_________________
http://inmyvegangarden.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:04 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:28 pm
Posts: 3268
This thread is fantastic! I love seeing all the different set ups. I'll post some photos soon, I've gone from a balcony mini-garden to having a proper garden & a courtyard. Right now I'm trying to identify all the plants that are already here, there's such a random mix: roses, succulents, a grape vine, murraya and other ones I can't identify.

_________________
CupcakeKitteh


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:39 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:17 pm
Posts: 3781
Location: Austin
AndyDufresne wrote:
Oou! These container gardens are fabulous! Momo, that unidentified purple plant is "Purple Queen" (Tradescantia pallida) I believe.

I've always seen it called Wandering Jew.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:49 am 
ol' garly cooch
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:41 pm
Posts: 2826
Location: Kashyyyk
every time i've tried to post my garden pics, one of the kids shiitakes their pants. i'll try to post something tonight. these gardens look great!

whiteflies on mustard greens? really? i would think the spiciness of the plant would keep those things away. huh.

_________________
I'm not dead, just sick.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer