| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Silly things our animals do
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:47 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

I want to hear about the ridiculous/silly habits our animals have.

Molly's ridiculous habit is taking up as much space as possible on the couch and/or bed with her little body. As soon as we invite her up or as soon as one of us gets up from the couch/bed, she stretches out to take up all available space. On the bed, it gets ridiculous- she refuses to lie lengthwise on bed, she must be perpendicular to us at all times, so there's this enormous space down the center of the bed that's taken up by one little dog. On the rare occasions she does lie parallel to us, her asparagus must be in our faces- no facetime for her. Her favorite thing to do is jump on the bed when my SO is there and I'm still brushing my teeth and lays down horizontally right where my pillows meet the mattress. She always has this expression on her face like "so, where are you sleeping?"

She is also old and grumpy and startles easily when she is sleeping. So when we are all on the bed and one of us shifts, she sits bolt upright and either barks or growls. Then usually jumps off the bed for private time.

Post subject: Re: Silly things our animals do
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:55 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

My youngest cat, Gilmore, is convinced that 4am is the best time for cuddling. She wakes me up with her oddly loud purring/grunting. She's either sitting on my chest staring at me or sitting right next to me staring at me. Either way it's creepy. I'll usually pet her for a minute, then as soon as I stop she puts one of her paws on my face very softly. If I make no sign of continuing to pet her she slowly curls her claws into my skin until I start petting her again. Eventually she has enough and dozes off against me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:39 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Jake "backs his asparagus up" on people so that they will pet him. We are trying to teach him to do it on command so when we sing "back that asparagus up" he will do it. I have been asked by numerous people why he humps them with his asparagus.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:47 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Soda takes mouthfuls of kibble from her dish in the kitchen, walks into the living room, spits them out on the floor and then eats them one by one (and usually leaves some behind). She also likes to take up as much space as possible on the bed and will sleep on her back with all four paws in the air, perpendicular to us. Oh, and she flips her food dish over with her paw when she decides there's an unacceptable amount of kibble in it. Love that one.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:50 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

Sassy does this little snuffling thing on the carpet when she's laying down. She'll point her muzzle/nose flat on the ground and just... snuffle. Her wrinkles all push forward on her face, it's the cutest thing ever.

Frodo is just completely out of control, everything he does is silly.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:13 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My (long-term foster) cat Baxter MUST sit on me. Even if I'm sitting in a chair with my knees drawn to my chest, he wiggles his way into the "V" that's made by my torso and my thighs, and once he gets himself situated, he let's out a heavy purr-sigh and looks at me with his loviest eyes.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:16 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

One of my cats begs for spinach. If we're making dinner and she sees a leafy green, she starts circling our feet and crying. She turns her nose up if she realizes we only have basil or cilantro though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:26 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Adah wrote:
One of my cats begs for spinach. If we're making dinner and she sees a leafy green, she starts circling our feet and crying. She turns her nose up if she realizes we only have basil or cilantro though.

one of my cats goes crazy for peanut butter. even if she's napping, as soon as the lid comes off she appears at my feet howling for some.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:28 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

tank wrote:
Jake "backs his asparagus up" on people so that they will pet him. We are trying to teach him to do it on command so when we sing "back that asparagus up" he will do it. I have been asked by numerous people why he humps them with his asparagus.

Chester does this too! But only to me since I'm the only one that knows his butt scratch fetish.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:02 pm 
Nailed to the V

Itchy, my silver cat, reacts to the sound of a can opening like it's the end of the world. Meowing, begging, just a general freak out. Doesn't matter if it's a can of beans or wet food; whatever it is, he needs it! NOW! I once opened a can of refried black beans only to have him squealing at me for hours... I no longer purchase any canned foods just to avoid his reaction, it's that bad.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:17 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

peanutshell wrote:
Adah wrote:

one of my cats goes crazy for peanut butter. even if she's napping, as soon as the lid comes off she appears at my feet howling for some.

My cats eat almost everything. Asparagus, artichoke hearts, untoasted toast, potato chips, you name it. It's not that I'd feed them that stuff, they just steal it or prove me wrong when I tell them they wouldn't like it. They once stole a packet of IKEA Singoalla cookies while I wasn't home, ripped it open, ate half and crumbled the rest, and left the jam dots in a small heap of crumbs under the table. Last night they were begging for VwaV pumpkin oatmeal cookies.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:31 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Lady Marmalade ARGUES. When she wants something and I say no, she seriously talks back and argues like a teenager, like a mad kid. It is amazing. Her statements have whine and petulance and tragic unfairness.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:41 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

...Which reminds me. Whenever I scold Neko for something bad she has done, she will listen to me with an annoyed expression on her face, then (when I've stopped chiding her) nip me in the leg and run. Teenagers, really!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:12 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Fee wrote:
tank wrote:

Chester does this too! But only to me since I'm the only one that knows his butt scratch fetish.

Xena does this to everyone, but this one homeless dood (Eric Starchild in case anyones every been in buffalo) was the best at it. Its gross because 1. she starts licking the air and basically moaning 2. will sometimes bark and mouth me if I stop and shes not um, satisfied and 3. it gets all her booty dandruff yucky

The other night I came home and saw streaks of blood (she cut her nose on something last week) radiating from the corner of the couch. What was in there? half a bagel. She did that when I first got her with an entire loaf of bread--it took us like a month to find it too!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:16 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Both of my cats insist on playing in the bathtub, they also like to bat around little pieces of litter they have kicked out of the box. Wiley will always paw at the floor before eating as if he is in the litter box trying to cover something up and Artemis loves being a neck warmer, she'll squiggle around and then flop upside down right on your neck.

Eta: also if Artemis is jumping up on something she shouldnt be or begging for food and you push her away, she will back away on her hind legs, she looks like a little circus bear. So cute! (aside from the fact that bears or any animal at the circus is anything but cute)

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:43 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I thought of another one, because it happened this morning: Soda will lick my ears if she gets even the slightest chance and it gets her very, um, excited. She starts humping the air. So gross.

My cat, thankfully, is not a pervert.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:43 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

Frodo does this "comfort thing" every time he's about to fall asleep on my bed. He'll grab a mouthful of this fluffy, white blanket I have and will fall asleep, face down, with my blanket in his mouth. He leaves drool puddles in my bed. D=

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:07 pm 
Dead by dawn

Amos loves anything fake fruity smelling/tasting. He'd seriously live on popsicles, pixie sticks and twizzlers if I'd let him near 'em. You have to be careful around him if you've been eating fruity stuff (well, unless you like tongue kissing dogs.)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:16 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Molly recently started competing with the tiel to be the first to announce 11pm bedtime. She gets very excited when the covers come out and starts hopping around and chittering, but when it's her turn to go in, she throws a hussy fit and tries to dig her claws in and refuse. Then she spends the next 20 minutes throwing around noisy toys and mumbling stuff. If she goes to bed late, she is a total cranky bisque pants in the morning.

I always want to cave and bring her back out for more snuggles, but I am standing firm on my operant conditioning principles.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:37 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Tristan LOVES to jump up the walls. If you drag your hand across the wall as you are walking, he will just continually jump up the wall, chasing your hand.
Here here is doing it, although he is kind of being weird here as it is normally one jump after another:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/crystalcary/5124941724/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:56 pm 
Bought a wardrobe full of Affliction t-shirts

pepper likes to sleep under the blanket when it's cold. we go through a whole ritual.

1. pep sits on the bed staring me dead in the face till i lay down on my side.
2. i flip the blanket over her standing form.
3. she backs up till she's almost against me
4. she sits down with her backside against mine
5. the rest of her body gets flopped over my lower legs and feet.

there is no way i'm getting out of bed without her knowing.

once this is accomplished joey stands on my pillow and scratches at the blanket untill i lift it again. he dives under and lays against my shoulder blades.

yes, my bed and blankets smell of dog, but that's a small price to pay for puppy love

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:15 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Whenever I take Pennydog to the pet store and we walk through the dog bowl section, she checks every bowl she can reach for food. It is cute! It is made cuter because she is an unwieldy and stout dachshund and has to try really.hard. to check in every bowl.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:43 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Phoenix wrote:
They once stole a packet of IKEA Singoalla cookies while I wasn't home, ripped it open, ate half and crumbled the rest, and left the jam dots in a small heap of crumbs under the table.

This is hilarious. I can imagine them plotting together. One of my cats loves vegetable crackers and will steal them from a plate.

My little kitty likes me to go to bed no later than 10:00. If I am still on the main floor, she comes to sit beside me and stares at me until I go to bed. This can go on for a long time. If I am using the computer she sits in front of the screen.

When it is really hot she lies half on her side and half on her back and puts her two back paws together like a seal. She's white and grey and a little plump, to complete the picture.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:57 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

My cat Dinah like to push things off of things. She's fascinated by gravity, for some reason. I have actually observed her sitting on a shelf or a counter, batting things very carefully toward the edge and then giving them a final swat and watching them fall. And then she gets something else and does it again.

She also gets on her hind legs, puts her paws in the air, and moves them up and down. It's like she's doing the "We're not woooorthy" bow in mid-air.

And she's obsessed with basements. Every time I move to a new place, she finds the basement door and does the paw thing at it.

We think she worships the Dark Lard and thinks basements are portals to Hell.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:56 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Pazuzu watches us while we watch movies or tv. She gets up on the tv stand, sits in front of the tv, and stares at us. Fortunately, the tv is gigantic, so we just watch around her.