| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Talk to me about your e-reader
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:03 am 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Graduation looms, and therefore so do checks from family members. Sure, I could use them to start paying down my student loans, but I'm unemployed, so I need a way to fill the time beyond just incessantly using the internet. Therefore, reading!

I intend to buy an e-reader. I am torn between the Kindle and the Nook (not the Nook color). I am undecided on whether or not to go with wireless.

Do you have an e-reader? Which one? What are the things you like and dislike about it?

I am pretty excited to be able to access free public domain books. I feel this e-reader might be able to pay for itself in fairly short order, so long as I enjoy using it. Help me, PPK!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Post subject: Re: Talk to me about your e-reader
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:34 am 
Discovered unobtainium

My dad loves his Kindle. I think the Nook has better file support. I wouldn't pay extra for 3G unless you know you want to download books away from home. As long as you preload it, you won't need it.

I think you'd be happy with either.

I read on my iPad, but would buy a K or N if I had the money for more convenience with regular text books. I love ebooks (just not this agency pricing crepe)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:01 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm still not happy with Kindle's proprietary format. Supposedly, they're supposed to add support for Overdrive (i.e. downloads from public libraries) within the year, but I'd still rather have the flexibility of ePub. I know about Calibre, but just seems like a big hassle to me. If it's between Kindle and Nook, I'd go for the latter.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:59 am 
Nailed to the V

If my Kindle were a person I'd have all kinds of crazy sex with it.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:27 am 
Tortilla Rita's character account

I have had a nook for about a year and I like it a lot. I'm not bound to the Kindle store, I can read most books instore for an hour each day at the local B&N, and I can take books out at the library.

I just bought a nook Color and am currently in the honeymoon period with it, but I am pretty sure I'll keep both.

blog | vegan blog | twitter

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:54 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I have a Kobo; it's like, the eReader you'd get for grandma. I'm surprised it doesn't have a handcrank. I still lust after a Kindle, but I bought the Kobo because of the ePub issues (and I work next to a Borders, or former Borders, as it were). I will say that the newer Kobo's have wifi though, so that's a plus! (The one I have I have to load the books on from my computer.)

Although, and I realize you said you weren't interested in the Nook Color, but apparently there is hack (root, jailbreak) to turn it into a bare bones Android tablet. (Voids warranty, undoubtedly.)

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-hack-your-nook-color-into-a-full-but-cheap-android-tablet-2011-3

See warnings.

I'm not good at stuff like that though (or I have bad luck).

Well, this was entirely unhelpful. Sorry--enjoy your new eReader!! :)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:24 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I love my kindle way more than I should love an inanimate object. I made the choice between the two by looking at it and the Nook side by side, and to me the Kindle was far more intuitive; I HATED that little color screen on the bottom of the Nook it makes no sense (um, I can see book covers!?)

The biggest downside of the Kindle is supposed to be corrected later this year-library book support should be added. The Kindle with ads is only $114, but apparently those people get some really good deals on amazon as well. I've been jealous of a few.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:55 am 
ol' garly cooch

hoveringdog™ wrote:
I'm still not happy with Kindle's proprietary format. Supposedly, they're supposed to add support for Overdrive (i.e. downloads from public libraries) within the year, but I'd still rather have the flexibility of ePub. I know about Calibre, but just seems like a big hassle to me. If it's between Kindle and Nook, I'd go for the latter.

i love my kindle, but am really sad i can't check out liberry books with it. other than that, super happy with it. the web browser kind of sucks, but other than getting directions on the road, i use it for its intended purpose: reading things! its also super awesome to have because you can reference a recipe when in the store and look at the ingredients you need.

pssst--i sell kindle cozies. they fit nooks and galaxies as well. check out my etsy store: Fridapigcrafteteria

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:01 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I love my kindle too. I've only had it for a couple weeks, but I use it every day. I'm with jewbacca though, don't get it for the browser...it locks up on me more often than not. They do say it's still experimental. But it doesn't need to be constantly charged and it's so easy on your eyes unlike all the other electronic stuff we surround ourselves with.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:07 am 
Dead by dawn

I have a kindle and I love it. They've added support for book lending between kindle owners (for some books, anyway) and we should be able to borrow books from the library by the end of the year. Being able to buy books on the fly, while away from home, was important to me.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:11 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I have the Nook color and I love it. I'm aware that this is stupid but why I love it so much is that I swipe the screen to turn the page. I also love being able to check out books from the library while at home Honestly, just having an e-reader in general is awesome- nobody can tell if I'm reading Twilight again.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:44 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

My boyfriend got me a Kindle with WiFi for Christmas and I've used it every single day since then, without fail. I love being able to browse Amazon from wherever and send samples of books that look interesting directly to my Kindle while it's sitting at home on my coffee table.
I already read most days of the week, but the Kindle's wide selection and portability have resulted in ensuring that I read every single day. I definitely still buy hard copy books, too -- graphic novels, cookbooks, spiritually significant books that I want to share with others, and books I love so much that I need to own a physical copy in addition to a digital one.
Bonus: "Every Word" (free download!) is my favorite game EVER. I've 'won' it like 60 times and I still play it obsessively. Excellent if you have a sick day and can't even focus enough to read a book.

The only thing I don't like about the Kindle is that very few books are lendable, and you can only loan out each of your loanable books ONE TIME (lendle.me is good for this). One of my favorite things in the world is loaning my favorite books to my favorite people, and this disallows me from doing so even if we all own the same required technology.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:47 am 
ol' garly cooch

yes! love the sample feature.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:58 am 
Saggy Butt

ive used the nook, nook color, kindle, and ipad at work. for just reading standard B&W books, the kindle is my favorite. for everything else, the nook color wins. so i say it depends on what you want to do. like reading a magazine or a cookbook on the kindle (or b&w nook)? meh. waste of $$ (to purchase the book or magazine). reading it on the nook color = very nice. so i guess it depends on what you want to use it for.
if the kindle gets overdrive capability, i would consider it more seriously.
what id really like is some kind of nook color/kindle hybrid, with the nook color touchscreen and display but the kindle keyboard and navigation buttons.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:34 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Daria wrote:
I have had a nook for about a year and I like it a lot. I'm not bound to the Kindle store, I can read most books instore for an hour each day at the local B&N, and I can take books out at the library.

I just bought a nook Color and am currently in the honeymoon period with it, but I am pretty sure I'll keep both.

You arent bound to to the Kindle store with a Kindle. You can put on books from other places as long as they aren't protected. I share books with my dad--ones I buy other places and ones I strip protection from.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:31 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I LOVE my Kindle and am excited the library thing is finally going to happen, but I have a 2nd generation one (I guess) and to charge it, the plug does this weird thing where the Kindle has to be laying a certain way to charge. That peas me off and I should contact them about it before my 1yr warranty is up this July hmm.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:53 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Hey hey, I'm reviving this post.

I'd really like to get an e-reader but I'm torn about which one to get or even whether I should hang out a while for better features to come along.

I read a lot of non-fiction and a whole mass of academic articles. I like to scribble on things and come back to that page later. From what I've seen it looks like e-readers still have room to improve in this area. I looked at the Kindle DX because the larger screen size appealed to me but I'm still unsure.

Anyone got advice for me?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:44 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

hoveringdog™ wrote:
Supposedly, they're supposed to add support for Overdrive (i.e. downloads from public libraries) within the year, but I'd still rather have the flexibility of ePub.

You'd be able to borrow books from the library on kindle? Welp, the death of book sales is approaching.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:01 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Veglicious wrote:
Hey hey, I'm reviving this post.

I'd really like to get an e-reader but I'm torn about which one to get or even whether I should hang out a while for better features to come along.

I read a lot of non-fiction and a whole mass of academic articles. I like to scribble on things and come back to that page later. From what I've seen it looks like e-readers still have room to improve in this area. I looked at the Kindle DX because the larger screen size appealed to me but I'm still unsure.

Anyone got advice for me?

Can you afford an iPad? It's fabulous for reading PDFs. There are some amazing PDF apps that allow all sorts of annotations, marks, indexing, etc.

If you get a stylus, you could write anywhere you want in the page and make bookmarks. You could then save the document and print it out, email it, or anything you need to do.

If you only want to read on it, you could check around for an older stock model without the retina screen and save a couple hundred.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:03 am 
Discovered unobtainium

veggiepalooza wrote:
hoveringdog™ wrote:
Supposedly, they're supposed to add support for Overdrive (i.e. downloads from public libraries) within the year, but I'd still rather have the flexibility of ePub.

You'd be able to borrow books from the library on kindle? Welp, the death of book sales is approaching.

Probqbly not if publishers are still trying to restrict libraries to 30-60 checkouts per ebook for the same price as print. Not cost effective for them.

HD: this still happening? Or are things more reasonable now?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:22 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I have the Nook simple touch (no lights or bells), and I love it. I love that I can download books from anywhere (project gutenberg is my friend) and I love that the battery lasts an insanely long time. I think the shape of it is very ergonomic, with curved corners instead of more pointy ones. I think the look of the "page" is so good it's almost creepy.

Also, if there is a B&N near you, you can go play around with one and see how you like it.

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:34 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I love my kindle and use it every single day. I go on the top 100 free book list a couple times a week, and now have 40-50 books I still haven't read. Me and a coworker also lend each other books.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:40 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I have a kindle. Love it. I use it to check out library books (although not nearly as many are offered in kindle format). My sister bought the one that is even cheaper but the screen saver is ads. Seems like a fair exchange to me.
What I love about it: so easy to read books in bed, and out in the sun, battery lasts for weeks (when wireless is turned off), love the built in dictionary
What I don't like: hard to flip back to re-read a passage, hard to highlight/ take notes (at least I haven't learned how to do it easily), mine does has a very simple web browser, but not even as good as the one on my smartphone so I never use it

My husband has an ipad.
What he loves about it: does even more than just as e-reader, easier to highlight, and take notes for more academic reading
What he doesn't love: it was expensive, hard to read it outside, can't read for long out in the sun because it over heats,

In a perfect world I would have both. Kindle for pleasure reading. ipad for work/research. At this rate the basic kindles are getting so cheap

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:32 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

lavawitch wrote:
HD: this still happening? Or are things more reasonable now?

So this is the current status of ebooks in libraries:

Yes, you can now borrow ebooks on Kindle. Right now, however, of the "big six" largest publishers, only two still allow libraries to license their ebooks at all.* And HarperCollins books expire after 26 checkouts; RandomHouse books don't expire, but libraries do have to pay about three times the normal cost per copy.

And keep in mind, library ebooks basically suffer nearly all the restrictions of a print copy: no simultaneous use is the big one--if we license three copies of a book, and they're all checked-out, everyone else has to wait until a copy is "returned" electronically or the lending period expires. But they also suffer all the added restrictions of ebooks: patrons can't donate old ebooks to the library, old ebooks can't be resold as libraries often do with print titles once their popularity has waned, ebooks can't be lent to other library systems as interlibrary loans. And, of course, many of our patrons don't have the money or the technical literacy to use an ebook reader in the first place, so library ebooks have a much narrower potential readership than print.

The only advantages that library ebooks have over print is that you can borrow them remotely (though you may still have to wait months for a copy of a popular title, so the added convenience is negligible), they never wear out like print copies (though we remove books from circulation more often because their popularity has waned than we do because of wear), and they don't take up physical space (which I do admit is a bonus).

But as it stands, public libraries are basically screwed for ebooks, and in the long run, screwed in general. Unless libraries radically reinvent themselves or unless we get legislation or a court decision affirming something like first-sale doctrine for ebooks, the institution of the public library will probably be history in another twenty or thirty years as print publishing disappears.

You won't hear this said a lot because libraries and publishers still like to pretend to play nice with one another and talk about their mutually beneficial relationship, but as far as I can tell, the big publishers see libraries as a form of legal piracy, and the convoluted legalities around ebooks have finally given them the hammer they need to destroy the institution.

I will say, though, that one of the great things about ebooks is that they've allowed individual authors to bypass the publishing industry entirely (at one point, seven of the ten bestselling ebooks were all self-published). There's at least one new vendor, Smashwords Library Direct, that's now making it possible for libraries to make curated collections of indie ebook titles available to their patrons, and I think that may be one way to go for libraries to maintain some tenuous hold on relevance.

There are also some cool ways that individual libraries have been reinventing themselves as places for local content creation, adding things such as digital media labs, hacker spaces, art spaces, recording studios, etc., and I think that's a big part of how they'll survive, if they do.** However, those things take a lot of time, money, expertise, and a progressive and supportive institutional culture, which are a combination not a lot of public libraries have.

Maybe Vantine or Dr. A has a less gloomy assessment...

*At least through the largest vendor, Overdrive. Penguin and Hatchette do have their own pilot schemes at a couple of select locations, but I don't really see them going anywhere if it means libraries and library patrons have to adopt and learn yet another convoluted lending system for each individual publisher.

**Eli Neiburger, from Ann Arbor District Library, has a great two-part video available on Youtube, entitled "Libraries are Screwed", in which he makes this point, though not before laying out his gloomy predictions for the future of libraries. Here's part one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqAwj5ssU2c

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:07 pm 
Cranky

I probably have a different perspective because the library I worked at until Friday was full of technophobes. The numbers of people using ereaders has been growing steadily, but the demand for physical books isn't disappearing for that community anytime soon. I'm starting at a new library on Monday in a smaller but wealthier community. I know their database stats are much higher than at my previous library, so I'm sure ebooks will play a much more important role. My new library is also a smaller place, so it makes more sense to spend more on e-resources. I suspect that smaller libraries with larger digital collections will be the wave of the future, regardless of whether publishers are able to screw libraries over ebook rights.

I've gotten a strong feeling from my new boss that she wants me to spend time and effort on digitization of local history collections, which is one area where libraries can continue to maintain relevance. Of course, they haven't really thought much about that, so I don't know if that will happen or how. I suppose that will be up to me.