| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spelt
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:44 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I know spelt is wheat and therefore Celiacs need to stay far far away from it. But after reading the Babycakes cookbook, I am wondering if I could tolerate it. I am super nervous though. Does anyone else tolerate it? How should I go about re-introducing it? I am thinking about getting VitaSpelt pasta and eating it for a few days and just seeing how it goes.

Post subject: Re: Spelt
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:11 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

It you definitely have coeliac disease, spelt is a big no no. If you just have gluten intolerance, you may be able to tolerate it.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:00 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Thats the thing, I'm not sure which I have. I had some antibodies for celiac back at the very beginning of diagnoses- when I was mostly arthritic and inflamed and didn't have a lot of systemic problems. They were very low levels. 20 was considered positive and I was like a 4 or a 6 or something. I had skin allergy testing that showed a +/- reaction to wheat. But I was glutened over the weekend. I forgot to double check something that could have went either way at a restaurant, and sure enough the next day I was absolutely miserable so I called and asked. So now I'm not to keen on trying Spelt.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:17 pm 
Tofu Pup

I used to eat spelt without obvious issues, but I went off of it to be careful, and when I bought some in Germany a month ago, it made me sick for a few days. If you're nervous, I wouldn't do it. There are a lot of other healthy grains and flours out there!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:49 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Have you tried quinoa pasta? If you are having pasta urges maybe give it a try. I actually loved it. I found quinoa fettucini noodles and made a great pad thai with them. Maybe, a safer option, for you. Good Luck!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:25 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

OliveGirl wrote:
Have you tried quinoa pasta? If you are having pasta urges maybe give it a try. I actually loved it. I found quinoa fettucini noodles and made a great pad thai with them. Maybe, a safer option, for you. Good Luck!

Yeah, I second this. If you can find corn/quinoa blend pasta, it's really good as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:38 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I love quinoa pasta! I was hoping to use spelt flour for baking...but I have decided against it. Now my predicament is that someone accidentally bought granola bars with barley malt and I'm considering trying those...