| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 753 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Diner
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:31 pm 
Nailed to the V

janejellyroll wrote:
I write on the recipe page after I make it -- my thoughts, along with the date. When you've been cooking for a while, it's a great way to reclaim some memories. I've got stuff from ten years ago documenting my favorite stuff to make when I was in college (mainly guacamole, from the looks of it). My mom has a lot of cookbooks with notes from the mid-1980s documenting what my siblings and I refused to eat or especially liked (little janejellyroll craved baked beans in all forms). I'll remember when my sister came to stay with me for a year from what we cooked and what I ate the night before I got married. I'd hate to lose that!

Sometimes I'll flip to a recipe at my mom's house and see that it was a favorite of my dad's (he has been dead for a few years) and I'll even remember a time when we ate it together. I hope to give my future kids the same experience.

I got goosebumps reading this! What a wonderful way to remember family. :)

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:09 pm 
Nailed to the V

I have this book on hold at B&N to pick up today. My library doesn't have it, but I was excited to see that several libraries in my area have it on order. And most of the B&N stores in my area are out of stock. So clearly this is a terribly hip cookbook that we all must have!!! :) I can't wait to go get it when I leave work!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:58 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

ohmygod BANANA PUDDING PIE. My bf made it for me for Mother's Day and then decided he doesn't like banana pie, so I am slowly eating it all. It was pretty easy to make and so yummy.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:41 pm 
Nailed to the V

I am dying to make the banana pie! It's one of my favorites. I made the mac & cheez today and really like it! The coloring is so perfect! I didn't have the granulated onion unfortunately but it's still really good. And I made the biscuits the other day, which I have never tried to make before, and they are delicious!!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:12 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Made the Rockin' Reuben yesterday and it was phenomenal!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:13 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I bought this book after going through it on Google Books Preview. I'm not supposed to be buying any more cookbooks until December due to budget constraints, but it looked too good to wait months to get and I can bike to work. Now we play vegan diner on weekends - the kidlets place their order Friday and I make sure we have the ingredents/baking ready for Saturday morning.

Love the recipes and Julie's comments before each recipe are the best!

Fav's so far:

Big Fat Greek Scramble
Basil and Spinach Spread
Mushroom Pecan Sandwich Spread
Q Sandwiches
Smoky Spinach and Tomato Salad

I need to try some pie next. Any suggestions which one to make first?

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:11 am 
Chard Martyr

Double Chocolate Strawberry! Or whatever it's called. It's SO GOOD. I made it something like three times in testing and have made it twice with the book. So easy, too.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:31 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I accidentally ordered this yesterday! I had it in my cart and somehow the "purchase" button got pressed...

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:34 pm 
Nailed to the V

yum, i made the rich brown gravy and the home style loaf with some mashed taters and greens and it was delicious! i freaking love that gravy so much!!! i also made the lemon cheesecake and it just got better and better as the days went on.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:17 pm 
Nailed to the V

This weekend I made the breakfast sausage, the biscuits and the sage and pepper gravy. I served the biscuits and gravy for breakfast on Saturday and my husband loved it so much that he had leftovers for lunch. The sausage spice combo was perfect, as was the gravy.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I was tossing up whether or not to buy this one, but I'm so glad that I did. It's seriously gorgeous. I love all the photos. Boyfriend is incapable of choosing recipes for me to make without pictures, so he loves it too, and has already made a (long) list of things he wants to try. I think first will be the grilled cheese sandwiches (with the cheese recipe from the book), with the tomato soup. Sounds awesome for the freezing weather we've been having.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:17 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I finally sucked it up and forked out the $12 for decent soymilk powder and have made three batches of English Muffins in the past week. Everything else I've made has been great, too.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:05 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Erinnerung wrote:
I was tossing up whether or not to buy this one, but I'm so glad that I did. It's seriously gorgeous. I love all the photos. Boyfriend is incapable of choosing recipes for me to make without pictures, so he loves it too, and has already made a (long) list of things he wants to try. I think first will be the grilled cheese sandwiches (with the cheese recipe from the book), with the tomato soup. Sounds awesome for the freezing weather we've been having.

I've had that grilled cheese sandwich 3 times now. I threw a few rings of green pepper in the third time, which was a good addition.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:19 am 
Nailed to the V

bekki wrote:
I finally sucked it up and forked out the $12 for decent soymilk powder and have made three batches of English Muffins in the past week. Everything else I've made has been great, too.

I really want to make the English Muffins! I just keep forgetting to look for the rings. I think I will do it right now!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:20 pm 
Nailed to the V

I made the Banana Chocolate Chip Bread today. Really good and so simple. I don't love banana bread, I could always take it or leave it. But this bread is lighter and has a great flavor. The choc chips really make a difference.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:08 pm 
Chard Martyr

i made the meat loaf and the horseradish potato salad for dinner. Both of them were pretty much off the hook. I'd never made a vegan loaf before. It was so yummy!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:32 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

masuphl wrote:
bekki wrote:

I really want to make the English Muffins! I just keep forgetting to look for the rings. I think I will do it right now!

They really are worth it. I managed with pineapple can rings for the first batch (and previous attempts at other recipes prior to getting this book) and they work, just not as well since you have to make sure they aren't going to stick at all when you flip so that the second side gets done because the cans are taller; EM rings are 1" tall, my pineapples cans are like 2-2.5"

I've been having English muffins with the herbed breakfast sausages, and FF vegan kitchen's mini quiche sandwiches this week.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:39 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The grilled cheese sandwiches are certified awesome, I'm excited to go home and eat more for dinner again tonight. I haven't ventured far into the cheese-making world yet, but the smoky mountain cheese is the definitely best one I've made so far. The tomato soup is really good too, and so quick to make. I can see this meal being a winter staple already.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:54 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Made the seitan pot roast the other day. Nice.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:35 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I had a vegan burger night at my house last night. Everyone who came is non-vegan (in case you cared!) - made the mushroom burgers but subbed chickpea flour for the bread crumbs and beans for the mushrooms ( love mushrooms but one party member doesn't...). They came out wonderful.

Made the sweetheart french fries and the regular garlic french fries. Everything was very good!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm 
Nailed to the V

bekki wrote:
masuphl wrote:
bekki wrote:

They really are worth it. I managed with pineapple can rings for the first batch (and previous attempts at other recipes prior to getting this book) and they work, just not as well since you have to make sure they aren't going to stick at all when you flip so that the second side gets done because the cans are taller; EM rings are 1" tall, my pineapples cans are like 2-2.5"

I've been having English muffins with the herbed breakfast sausages, and FF vegan kitchen's mini quiche sandwiches this week.

I found them for like $6.50 on amazon.com. Such a bargain! I think that sounds like a perfect breakfast!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:52 pm 
Nailed to the V

This week I made the seitan pastrami and the cheezy mac. Both were excellent. As a bonus, I was able to make both using items in my pantry.

I was on the fence about this book before I bought it because I already had recipes for many of the items in the book. However, every recipe I've tried so far has been better than my stand-by version of the same type of food. The cheezy mac is the best vegan mac and cheese I've tried.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:49 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Love Vegan Diner! I have gotten way more use out of this cookbook than any of the others I've purchased in the past year or so. The lemon cheesecake is perfect, the jambalaya is yummy and simple, cheesy mac is great, Smoky Curls are a new standard in our house, Veggies & Dumplings turned out just right, and I'm making the banana pudding pie this weekend. Eventually I will tackle the donuts.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:50 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I got this book on my Kindle, and I'm going through and bookmarking recipes that I want to try. I bet the smoky mountain cheese would go great with one of Joni's burger recipes!

bird noises | book of faces

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:12 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

bunniee wrote:
I got this book on my Kindle, and I'm going through and bookmarking recipes that I want to try. I bet the smoky mountain cheese would go great with one of Joni's burger recipes!

it would ROCK as the filling in one of the stuffed burgers. Fabulous idea.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 753 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 31  Next