| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Small Woman Clothes
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:24 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I had this problem before my last pregnancy. I ended up scouring tj Maxx on the regular for good deals on brands like Paper Denim Cloth, who go down really small and fit great. I remember Express had good small sizes too.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:43 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I remembered this morning that there was a long time I couldn't find anything big enough to fit me at J. Crew, so maybe there, too? Kind of expensive, but maybe a couple of professional staples. I haven't been back there in a long time though, so I can't say for certain of course. I was too discouraged when an XL t-shirt was too snug!

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:39 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

It's crazy that places just don't carry a realistic, full range of sizes, especially the big places like, say Old Navy or whatever, since they obviously are big enough to support lines that contain all sizes.

Anyway, thanks for the continued suggestions. I'll definitely be checking those out!

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:15 am 
Human Gravy

jordanpattern wrote:
It's crazy that places just don't carry a realistic, full range of sizes, especially the big places like, say Old Navy or whatever, since they obviously are big enough to support lines that contain all sizes.

Anyway, thanks for the continued suggestions. I'll definitely be checking those out!

Don't get me started on Old Navy. So annoying. I am a size 3 in levis, but a size 0 at Old Navy. I mostly shop at American Apparel and Kohl's (the junior section is the best bet for sizes, however the styles are a bit young, the women's extra/smalls usually work if I need something more "adult"-- I am guessing that the lengths would probably be better for you then me since everything seems a bit long). I also find some stuff at TJ Maxx and Ross, but it takes real effort.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:07 am 
Nailed to the V

I know you don't want to look like a kid, but don't let the wall of stupid, juvenile graphic tees at Delia's deter you. If I can't find anything at Goodwill/Salvation Army/Saver's, Delia's is my first stop, and I'm not one to dress my age. For pants alone, they have a huge range of sizes (00-19/20), lengths (26"-37"), rises, legs and fits. Their sizes are also normal and consistent, as I am a 7/8 regular across the whole line of bottoms and dresses. A note about the sweaters, though: a lot of them have rabbit hair and wool in them. Besides that, their only shortcoming is that they don't sell blazers too often.

"So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life."

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:03 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

You might also want to check out Jeremy's in South Park. It's like a boutique TJ Maxx for high end department stores like Barney's. Some of the stuff is still ridiculous (Was $3,000, now only $800!), but every now and then you'll stumble across something that was a couple hundred for $20. My mom has a lot of luck there and she's small. The jeans they carry always looks super small to me (Cheap Monday, J Brand, etc.) They have big, storewide sales every few months too.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:41 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

jordanpattern wrote:
The thing that makes me maddest is that I'm really NOT off-the-charts small, and then I feel like a crasshole asking about it, or telling people that I can't shop at such-and-such store because it's too big. Oh well.

It's bizarre, isn't it? I often can't find my size on the rack either, though it seems to be easier on the mainland than in the UK. According to the labels inside my clothes, I'm a US 6. Many clothes don't taper enough at the waist without being too short or too narrow across the shoulders or hips. These days I'm usually ok finding t-shirts because styles have gotten longer, but forget dresses, blouses, dress shirts and skirts. The only dresses I own (all three of them black) are sleeveless, since my shoulders aren't inside the actual garment. It's not as though I have some outrageous waist:hip ratio, I'm not underweight for my height, and 5'8" and a bit isn't all that tall. A lot of my clothes are from Esprit and they carry sizes that are smaller than mine.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:49 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I don't know how helpful my advice is, because I do wear a petite size (I'm 5'2"), but I have the best luck at Ann Taylor and Ann Taylor Loft. I wear a 00P or a 0P (more the latter these days, except in dresses and sometimes tops) and for the longest time those were the only stores that really carried my size, especially the only ones that carried them in stores. Gap and Banana Republic makes them as well, but I can only get them online. I find the Banana Republic petite sizing to be really inconsistent. In the same size, one item will fit great, one will be too small, and one will be too big. I don't know if the non-petite sizes have the same problem, though. I find Ann Taylor (and Loft) sizes to be a lot more consistent.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:07 pm 

Someone who's definitely not a 0 and quite tall was telling me about fitting into a BR size 0, so I guess their regular sizes must be weird too.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:11 pm 
Chip Strong

I have the same problem, I feel like companies have made sizes bigger to make bigger people feel better about fitting into a smaller size, and left small people without anything that fits. European brands seem to run a lot smaller.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:19 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Jordan! I am probably the same build as you. I really only have luck at nice re-sale shops (not consignment, but like Value Village in a posh neighborhood like Seattle's Capitol Hill, Do they have those down south?) and TJ Maxx/Ross, which is a pain in the asparagus but always forgiving. I went shopping today at TJ Maxx and thought of you -- as I am outfitting for an office job right now. I highly suggest skirts, too. I get some major saggy-ass sometimes from nice gap-style pants but skirts always make me feel better. My main goal is to get a few good blazers (Yes, Ann Taylor +1. I got one for $10 as Value Village. It is a cotton stretch piece of heaven) which I can wear all sorts of semi-work appropriate shirts under and dresses.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:43 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I have the same problem. I wear a 00 or 0 in juniors so finding professional clothes is a joke. I'm short, 5'3", but my inseam is just barely too long for most petite pants. I can usually find jeans in the juniors section... I love Nordstrom Rack for jeans. All my favorite ones are from there... $100+ jeans for $10-30, yes please!

One place that hasn't been mentioned... United Colors of Benetton. It isn't crazy expensive. It's the only place I can find a button-down shirt that fits and is decent quality that I can afford to buy multiple of. And about half of their suits fit if they have the smallest size (pants are generally ok, jackets more iffy). I must have either narrower shoulders or less boobage as the jackets fit less consistently, but I do have some nice ones from there.

I go to H&M for layering tees and tanks and a very occasional good find... coats and sometimes blazers work well there for me, but they might not fit you in the sleeve. Their professional stuff is cut larger than the casual stuff. Wet Seal has some decent stuff, but most of it is lower quality, cheap though... if you want something to wear for 1-2 seasons though they do have some pieces that can be professional mixed in with all of the more interesting clothes. I didn't like Forever 21 or Charlotte Russe much, but they both have small sizes (low quality, I guess I'm sorta a snob on fabric texture and construction). I'll repeat Ann Taylor and Ann Taylor Loft... their smallest size fits me in tops and skirts and jeans (I'm a 00P curvy! curves? hellz yeah!). Their smallest size suits are all too big though... jackets and pants.

Gap, Banana Republic, Target, Old Navy, etc... I don't even bother for anything other than the occasional shirt. I spent HOURS in Gap one day trying on jeans and didn't find a single pair that fit.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:59 am 
Human Gravy

I just bought some really cute sundresses at H&M. It seems like they have a lot of nice stuff this summer.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:17 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I was actually at H&M a week or so ago, and I managed to find nothing, save a plain black cardigan. I tried on a blue and white spattered sun dress type thing that had beautiful fabric, and it made me look majorly pregnant, like, 7 months, which is impressive given my build and lack of boobs.

Thanks again for all the advice. As much as I kind of love all the Lisbeth Salander comparisons I get, I do need to start getting some more businesslike clothing.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:36 am 

ndpittman wrote:
I remembered this morning that there was a long time I couldn't find anything big enough to fit me at J. Crew, so maybe there, too? Kind of expensive, but maybe a couple of professional staples. I haven't been back there in a long time though, so I can't say for certain of course. I was too discouraged when an XL t-shirt was too snug!

J. Crew's small sizes run pretty large. I don't consider myself tiny and I have to buy 00/xs.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:02 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

pastabake wrote:
ndpittman wrote:

J. Crew's small sizes run pretty large. I don't consider myself tiny and I have to buy 00/xs.

That's double annoying. So basically no matter what size you are, it's hard to find clothes that fit. Humbug.

That being said, I've had luck lately with adding a couple accessories to feel more professional, a skinny belt or a scarf. It feels like a costume, but I get compliments from the middle aged women at work?

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:47 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I don't shop that much, but I needed more buisness-y type clothes at an internship a few years ago. I had a lot of luck at The Limited. The ruched button downs for summer fit me really well, and my best pair of dress pants are from there. They lean a little more than I'd usually spend, but sometimes their smallest size fits me well, and you can get decent deals there sometimes.

I probably need to get new jeans since mine are getting a little lose, and I'm dreading it. I always have tons of trouble finding jeans that fit/I like. This is probably I pretty much only ever seem to buy skirts or dresses these days when I do shop/browse.

ETA: If you need a size reference, I'm 5'3" and around 104.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:47 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Jordan, I am currently sitting in a cream size 4 H&M skirt suit and living it up. There is hope for you. I got this baby at a vintage shop (it's not vintage!).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:58 am 
Human Gravy

Based on this thread, I tried on some clothes at Ann Taylor Loft. While it is nice they carry a variety of clothing in petite sizes, I found their sizing to run as large as Gap (for instance a size 2 was to big, especially in the butt). I did buy a spring jacket (size small) and a sleeveless shirt (size xs) off the clearance rack, but as far as pants, I came up with nothing.

I also went to Old Navy last week and bought a pair of shorts (size 0- look like denim, but feel like linen) off of their clearance rack for $5.25. I guess the moral of the story is I am willing to buy things I don't exactly love if they fit well enough and are cheap...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:20 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I have the butt problem as well. I got a skirt that is a size 0 but is a bit saggy in the butt. Since it has some pleating in the front that makes it kind of poufy, I'm just pretending that it's supposed to be poufy everywhere. Hopefully once I start riding my bike a lot more, my butt will get a bit bigger.

Anyway, I appreciate all the help! I hate shopping, but it seems that my best option is simply to keep my eyes open and check out the suggested places fairly regularly.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:48 am 

I recently found a dress by looking in the same store three times, until they actually had something in my size. I'm continuously baffled because it's not as though I wear any XS clothes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:21 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

You may just have to resolve yourself to the fate of getting clothes altered a bit.

Here's the awesome thing about consignment/thrift, though: even if the clothes you buy are too large, you've probably saved enough money to pay for the alterations. In the end, I doubt they'll cost you much more than new clothes at a place like H & M (and it'll be a lot more ethical). If you shop at higher-end consignment shops, you might even get used clothing that is in better condition and will last longer than the cheaper things at Target/H & M/Forever 21.

Of course, I never go clothes shopping and look like a rag doll, according to my mother.;) I may not be the best for fashion advice.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:54 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I'm small and shop almost exclusively vintage , either thrift shops or Etsy , it seems like clothes used to be made smaller. I also get a fair bit of stuff tailored , especially dresses and jumpsuits. I'll buy a 6$ dress , bring it to a seamtress to get a few darts put it and then 10- 15$ latter I have something super flattering.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:57 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I'm also lucky in that a re-sale shop I go to does free alterations. It ends up being wayyyy cheaper than buying new.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:59 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

jordanpattern: i would seriously consider ordering from the EU - here the problem is quite the opposite; i am usually the second largest size, and i am pretty thin (i am 5'9'' so i'm pretty tall.. but would be pretty thin even if i was not this tall!). i hate that most stores carry such a small range of sizes! we're not all the same size, give or take a few inches, stupid fashion people who decide these things!

anyway, H&M carry a lot of different sizes here, but i am kind of moving away from their stuff - it wears out super quickly, and it will look really worn after 6 months of regular use..
I can recommend:
-Zara (really tiny sizes, i am a large there and a small in most other highstress stores)
-Topshop (i LOVE their jeans - they have so many fittings and different lengths and stuff - and they don't wear out too quickly. i've had my favorite pair (jamie fit) for about 5 years and i've only dyed them once - they are nowhere near worn out! and they are still strechy).
-Cos (owned my H&M (like most scandinavian brands now..) but it's great quality and great stuff - perfect for blazers and dresses!
-Weekday - the clothes are pretty fashion-y, but it's pretty cheap, and decent quality, and you can find quite a lot of basic things there, such as flattering skirts, lots of jeans, blazers, shirts etc. I'm pretty sure most of their shoes are vegan too!
-ASOS - it's just an internet store, but it's got lots of great brands and the sizing is european!

I would recommend ebay uk for finding stuff - you can get hardly worn items for next to nothing! check out the sizing charts on ASOS for european measurements, and maybe get an item in the size you think will fit and try it? i've had pretty great luck with doing that.
Ebay uk is also GREAT for finding hardly worn Topshop jeans for 1/3 of the price of new ones!

also, if you want some inspiration in regards to the whole professional dressing thing, i just uploaded a bunch of pictures in the thread about dressing professional!