| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Have Your Cake and Vegan Too
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:13 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just ordered this since I love her last book and the amazon reviews are all glowing. I probably won't use this one a ton as I am trying to eat less junk, but figured it would be nice to have a cake book around for special occasions. What have you tried so far?

Post subject: Re: Have Your Cake and Vegan Too
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:58 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I tested for the book and was a big fan of the lemon pound cake and maple sugar cake.
The mocha frosting is so good!
I've been really wanting to make the snickerdoodle cake since I saw the recipe but can't find a good enough excuse to randomly make a full cake for myself :)

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:45 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I was a tester too and they are all good and all different.
If you're cutting down on sugar etc try one of her fruit based cakes.
Amy's Huh What Peach Cake was a huge hit - everyone loved the different flavors and it's the one that they raved about when they saw it in the book.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:35 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

The snickerdoodle cake turned out great for me!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:47 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I made the Dad is Awesome chocolate cake for my husband months ago and it was really good and pretty, even though I was lazy and left off the chocolate shavings. The chocolate mousse filling was perfect!

Sadly, I had a double pumpkin roll disaster. The first one I made just crashed when I tried to flip it as described and was a huge, unsalvageable but delicious mess. Since it only took half a can of pumpkin, I went ahead and made another, sprinkled the top of the cake with powdered sugar (instead of the towel), placed the towel over it, then another large baking sheet and flipped it that way (the way you put a plate or something under your cake to flip)...sweet success! Unfortunately, I made the frosting as described and it was a big, gooey mess, and even after the stay in the freezer, just oozed everywhere. I still highly recommend the cake recipe because it was perfect, but next time I will make a thicker, fluffier frosting so that it stays put.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:08 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

bekki wrote:
I made the Dad is Awesome chocolate cake for my husband months ago and it was really good and pretty, even though I was lazy and left off the chocolate shavings. The chocolate mousse filling was perfect!

Sadly, I had a double pumpkin roll disaster. The first one I made just crashed when I tried to flip it as described and was a huge, unsalvageable but delicious mess. Since it only took half a can of pumpkin, I went ahead and made another, sprinkled the top of the cake with powdered sugar (instead of the towel), placed the towel over it, then another large baking sheet and flipped it that way (the way you put a plate or something under your cake to flip)...sweet success! Unfortunately, I made the frosting as described and it was a big, gooey mess, and even after the stay in the freezer, just oozed everywhere. I still highly recommend the cake recipe because it was perfect, but next time I will make a thicker, fluffier frosting so that it stays put.

I wonder if it depends on what type of vegan cream cheese you're using? I don't think I've ever seen a vegan roll recipe before so I really want to try this, even though I'll have to make my own pumpkin puree.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:46 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I made the Intensely Chocolate Bundt Cake yesterday and took it round to my friend's house as she had her dad staying and I thought she and my other friend and her dad would get through it without it spoiling (whereas I live on my own and my house is too messy to invite people round at the moment).

Anyway, I had this text from her last night: "oh my god! this cake is amazing! Nom nom nom dad's impressed. Thank you very much", which was gratifying. The weird thing is I don't think my friend realises the author has a blog, let alone that it's called Nom Nom Nom!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:00 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I have this out from the library, and I'm using it for one of my MoFo themes (Sunday baking) to see if I want to buy a copy.

I made the Almond Mocha cake tonight. I haven't actually had a slice, but I tried some coffee buttercream that was left over, and I thought it was better than the one in VCTOTW.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:46 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I have had such good luck with this cookbook (well, all of Kris's cookbooks, really). Tonight I made the Intensely Chocolate Bundt Cake, which was chocolate cake + chocolate chips+ chocolate syrup drizzled on to soak in. I thought it was great and it got glowing praise from the omnis who celebrated with us. Recommended for anyone looking for a good chocolate cake recipe. The instructions were very clear and easy to follow.