| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Super Natural Everyday
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:24 pm 
Saggy Butt

Has anyone got this? I'm a huge fan of the author's blog http://www.101cookbooks.com and so imagine the book would be great. She's not vegan but cooks vegetarian and lots of vegan or easily adaptable food.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Super Natural Everyday
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:24 pm 
Naked Under Apron

She has tons of good (or at least good-looking) vegan recipes on her site, so I was really excited about this book, but I have to say I was pretty disappointed looking through it. There didn't seem to be much that was vegan, and a lot of the recipes had hard to replace ingredients like greek yogurt or egg whites or fancy cheeses or whatever.

But, I just leafed through it kind of quickly, and maybe I just was expecting more or wasn't feeling up to veganizing everything.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:26 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I own this book and am also a huge fan of hers. I would say that the book is actually very vegan friendly, I have already made quite a bit out of it. Mostly, just leave out the cheese (mostly garnish in her recipes anyhow), sub chia or flax eggs in her baking, and sub coconut oil (or other) for butter. Everything has turned out really good. I would recommend this book if you like her style of eating.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:39 pm 
Saggy Butt

Who? wrote:
I own this book and am also a huge fan of hers. I would say that the book is actually very vegan friendly, I have already made quite a bit out of it. Mostly, just leave out the cheese (mostly garnish in her recipes anyhow), sub chia or flax eggs in her baking, and sub coconut oil (or other) for butter. Everything has turned out really good. I would recommend this book if you like her style of eating.

Might just have to get it then...I absolutely adore her style of eating- simple whole foods with interesting flavour combinations :) I like the idea of "everyday" food too. I love fancy cooking but as a student I should probably spend less time in the kitchen than I do!
Why recipes have you tried and enjoyed especially? and I'll take note for when I get it!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:33 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I've made most of the breakfast section. The baked oatmeal is fantastic, used chia for the eggs, rice milk, and coconut oil for the butter. This morning I made the bran muffins, used curdled soy for the buttermilk, chia for the eggs, and half canola oil half applesauce for the butter.
I've made a couple of her lunch pasta dishes also. Love how she uses a ton of veggies and basically healthy ingredients in her dishes.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:44 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I have this too, love it so far. Mostly for looking through for inspiration, but I have made a few of the recipes so far - the curried cabbage soup, black pepper tempeh (SO good), and...I swear there was something else. I think most of it's pretty vegan-adaptable, I've found the same with the 101 Cookbooks blog. Mostly I like getting ideas from her style of cooking - simple meals with lots of whole grains, veggies, and garnishes. The kind of stuff you want to serve all heaped together in a big pretty bowl.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:07 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Who? wrote:

I agree with this and the comment that it's good for inspiration. I think there are a few baked goods that call for more eggs than I'd care to sub, but most of the book is easily veganized. There are a lot of great ideas for cooking with fresh veg and whole grains. I've been really pleased so far, and I agree the baked oatmeal is fantastic!

ETA: Every recipe I've seen call for greek yogurt says you can also just use regular yogurt (which i take to mean any non-dairy yogurt would also work).