| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Actual Greenhouse
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:58 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Sigh! How I long for one! Anyone have one? Anyone thinking about making/installing one? It can be super small and simple even... Here's some Mars' Greenhouse lust pictures:

I guess you can see a theme, and that is that I like greenhouses that have wood or brick, rather than the all plastic kind. However, I certainly wouldn't shake a stick at having an all plastic kind!

I'm definitely quite serious with my plan for building my own greenhouse when I get a new home with a yard. Which will be in a little under a year. Maybe it's a little bit ambitious but I really believe I will build it!

Feel free to post your own greenhouse lust pics.

Post subject: Re: Actual Greenhouse
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:04 pm 
ol' garly cooch

Ah how I covet to have one of my own. I'll take some photos of the one here at work. I'm hoping to score a small portable cold frame this winter.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:45 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I'm hoping to one day instal one of those window greenhouse things. They just sort of stick out like a bay window, but smaller. Or just luck out and move into a place that has one.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:18 am 
Tofu Pup

Hey, guys! Well aware of the fact that I'm on here late, but I happened to stumble upon this thread while searching for "greenhouses." My goal is to one day BUILD one, but clearly, I'm not architecturally savvy and I don't have the money. The pictures you posted DO happen to get the creative juices flowing. Does anyone on here happen to know what materials were actually USED to build these greenhouses? I'm REALLY diggin' the first one.

Hope to hear back from you folks! Glad to be on here. What do you guys like to plant? I happen to be a big veggie person myself. ^______^

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:57 am 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
I'm hoping to one day instal one of those window greenhouse things. They just sort of stick out like a bay window, but smaller. Or just luck out and move into a place that has one.

I noticed that the house next door has one...only the window is under a carport! My guess is that the window predated the carport, but still! Sadness!

My gf has these pop up plastic (like clear tarp material) that you can just carry around and stuff. She got a superdeal on them (she used to work for the company that stocks Lowe's plant centers). Of course, the rental agency called them a structure and made us take them down. Never mind that it doesn't even have a floor and can be picked up and carried around if not staked down.

Anyhoo, I got a book at a used bookstore that was full of plans for building both your own window greenhouse, sunrooms and a free standing structure. If you should like I could scan it some day. its from the 50s or something so its written with the post WWII vets who had the itch to do projects.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'd like one too but most of the cheaper kits available would be taller than our fence and some people in the complex have complained about sheds that are too tall so I'm sure they'd complain. It would be fun to build one to suit our garden.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:00 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

that is awesome! I'm curious what kind of windows those are on the roof.

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:33 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I acquired recently a frame for a car port, that is basically a tent the size of a car, and I was thinking of using the pvc frame and attaching some kind of plastic to it to make a greenhouse, but I don't really know what type would be durable and cheap enough for this to work. It seems like a possibility, but until then I just have a pile of pvc waiting to put into action.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:47 am 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

vegetable_assassin wrote:
I acquired recently a frame for a car port, that is basically a tent the size of a car, and I was thinking of using the pvc frame and attaching some kind of plastic to it to make a greenhouse, but I don't really know what type would be durable and cheap enough for this to work. It seems like a possibility, but until then I just have a pile of pvc waiting to put into action.

http://westsidegardener.com/howto/hooph ... ml#plastic This one is saying to just use this kind of plastic sheeting, but there is also greenhouse sheeting plastic. MY gf's tent like greenhouses are made from clear woven tarp plastic.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:53 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I've been considering a green house for a few years now, and those look really nice! I have a fenced garden with raised beds, and living in Wisconsin, I've been considering doing a cover for late summer/early fall to extend the season against frost. I wonder if it's even possible to have a winter greenhouse in Wisconsin. Hmmm...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:14 am 
ol' garly cooch

It might not be practical for outdoors in the winter, but a cold frame or hoop house would extend your growing season. Many greens and carrots can tolerate colder temps.

You can always grow simple stuff indoors in containers with a shop light!