| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 134  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:58 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I have that problem underneath my bra when I'm on long runs. I've used body glide. I have no idea if it's vegan. Unfortunately, I've never even considered that, but it works well.

Last edited by kecapcrazy on Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:59 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I ran for the first time in over 2 weeks today (I've been sick). Rather than just doing a short run, I did week 3, day 2 of Bridge to 10K. That was probably not the best idea, as I nearly passed out while cooking dinner. D'oh. On the plus side, my boyfriend says I have to stay on the couch and he'll bring stuff to me. Score!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:54 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I haven't been running like I would like to. I have an old IT band injury from training for and running a full marathon in 2008 that still bothers me. I haven't been keeping up on the stretching like I should or doing any hip strengthening exercises, I'll admit. Has anyone experienced this?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:27 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I haven't had an IT band injury but my right one tends to be quite tight because my right leg is shorter than my left by a small amount.

A massage therapist one time told me that the stretch that I usually do is much more effective if you do it for at least two minutes, and in fact when we do it in yoga class we usually hold it for at least this long.

Here's a picture and description (scroll down to find it). Don't be distracted by hot the model is ;-)
http://www.the-fitness-motivator.com/stretches.html

This is probably not news to you but I didn't know it (about holding the stretch for a longer period). I do it a few times a week while I'm watching tv.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:37 pm 
Chip Strong

I started running about two and a half years ago. I'm currently taking a break and biking more, but I'll get back into it eventually. I've done two marathons and two half marathons. I definitely prefer longer distances.
I want to try an ultra at some point in the next two years, but I know I have to get more serious about dropping extra weight before I do. I love beer and wine too much.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:27 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Just back from a run and now deciding what to eat. this is my favourite part of the run---coming home and eating.

what's your favourite post run meal or snack?? I'm in a root vegetable and tofu sandwich kind of mood.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:35 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

kecapcrazy wrote:
Just back from a run and now deciding what to eat. this is my favourite part of the run---coming home and eating.

what's your favourite post run meal or snack?? I'm in a root vegetable and tofu sandwich kind of mood.

Ah I am pretty boring with post workout meals. It's usually just a smoothie since it's the easiest way to get carbs/protein back in my body. Now a few hours later is when I really chow down. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:16 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I love a Larabar and chocolate soy milk as my post-run snack!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:22 am 
Nailed to the V

molly wrote:
I love a Larabar and vanilla almond milk as my post-run snack!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:09 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yay! Just came back from my run and feel fab. Saw lots of people walking their doggies. Now Imma slip in a hot bath and maybe have a nap before I embark on my cooking frenzy.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:25 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

seitanicverses wrote:
Yay! Just came back from my run and feel fab. Saw lots of people walking their doggies. Now Imma slip in a hot bath and maybe have a nap before I embark on my cooking frenzy.

what's on tap for your cooking frenzy.

I had a good run this morning...weather is a bit warmer and sunnier which helped. have squash roasting in the oven and cauliflower/carrot soup simmering on stove.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:46 pm 
WELFARIST!

kecapcrazy wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:

what's on tap for your cooking frenzy.

I had a good run this morning...weather is a bit warmer and sunnier which helped. have squash roasting in the oven and cauliflower/carrot soup simmering on stove.

I'm making the miso tofu stew from VwaV (tofu's a'pressin') and the homestyle potato rolls from VCON (just about to start the yeast a'risin) and then peanut butter oatmeal cookies from VwaV because my peanut butter "expired" recently so I need to use it and...well..cookies!

I have salad nicoise fixings as well but that might wait till tomorrow now as I want to be able to sit down by 8:00 or 9:00 and enjoy my Halloween evening!

Yum, your fall delights sound delicious! I would be making more fall stuff but I've been so busy lately I bought all the fixings for this stuff a couple of weeks ago and just today, for the first time, really have a free stretch of hours to make it! I'm afraid my potatoes and shrooms for the stew will spoil if I don't use them today.

Enjoy your delicious food too! <3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:53 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Yum! sounds great seitanicverses! Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:02 pm 
Nailed to the V

I REALLY want to go for a run right now but there are like a billion kids outside trick-or-treating right now...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:49 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I've been a casual runner for the past 3 years or so. I've Slowly built up my mileage to the point where I now average 15-20 miles/week.

I just signed up for my first half marathon (The NYC one) this upcoming March. I'm excited about the training.

I noticed almost all training plans are less than 14 weeks long. What's up with that? Anyone know of longer-term plans? Like, if I want to start training now, so as to really take it nice and gradual, do I just linger longer at every add-on of miles? Or is that somehow bad?

I'm not overly concerned, as I'm in pretty good shape, but I'm curious about what other runners' experience has been.

Also, I find that doing yoga 2-3 times/ week helps balance out my body and keep me injury free. Any tips on how to include this much yoga in my half marathon training program without over training?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:22 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I just went on my first jog/run in a really long time...it was a really short run, and not very fast, but I did it. I did a 4 mile/hour walk for 10 minutes and then a 5mph jog-thing for 10 minutes. Now I feel amazing, and can't wait to do it again!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:01 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Arisaig wrote:
I haven't had an IT band injury but my right one tends to be quite tight because my right leg is shorter than my left by a small amount.

A massage therapist one time told me that the stretch that I usually do is much more effective if you do it for at least two minutes, and in fact when we do it in yoga class we usually hold it for at least this long.

Here's a picture and description (scroll down to find it). Don't be distracted by hot the model is ;-)
http://www.the-fitness-motivator.com/stretches.html

This is probably not news to you but I didn't know it (about holding the stretch for a longer period). I do it a few times a week while I'm watching tv.

Thanks! I've been incorporating that one into my routine.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:02 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

monkeygirl wrote:
I've been a casual runner for the past 3 years or so. I've Slowly built up my mileage to the point where I now average 15-20 miles/week.

I just signed up for my first half marathon (The NYC one) this upcoming March. I'm excited about the training.

I noticed almost all training plans are less than 14 weeks long. What's up with that? Anyone know of longer-term plans? Like, if I want to start training now, so as to really take it nice and gradual, do I just linger longer at every add-on of miles? Or is that somehow bad?

I'm not overly concerned, as I'm in pretty good shape, but I'm curious about what other runners' experience has been.

Also, I find that doing yoga 2-3 times/ week helps balance out my body and keep me injury free. Any tips on how to include this much yoga in my half marathon training program without over training?

Congrats for signing up for NYC.
It never hurts when training to have a great base before the "official" training plan starts. Incorporate some rest days, have some lower mileage weeks to recover, and perhaps do yoga on your non-running days. I could see running 4-5 days/week and yoga on the other days.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:15 pm 

kecapcrazy wrote:
monkeygirl wrote:

Congrats for signing up for NYC.
It never hurts when training to have a great base before the "official" training plan starts. Incorporate some rest days, have some lower mileage weeks to recover, and perhaps do yoga on your non-running days. I could see running 4-5 days/week and yoga on the other days.

Thanks for the input on adding mileage over a longer period of time.

Re: yoga. Yeah, my intuition is it would be ok to do yoga on "rest" days and then maybe keep one day a week completely free. So far that is what I've done and it has treated me well.
Anyone have any experience with this/ know if it is ok? (Of course everyone is different, but I like to hear other people's stories.)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:48 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I just did another run! The elections were stressing me out and I did 20 minutes at 6mph. Tomorrow should be rough. But I feel so good now

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:36 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Hi, I've been a runner for years but was constantly hampered by periodic injuries. Stretching and yoga helped a tiny bit, but I was pretty inconsistent with them both - esp. yoga. Yoga was more effective, but time consuming...BUT THEN I discovered the joys of foam rolling about 2 years ago, and i have been 100% injury free since then. I can work out 5 days a week and if I keep up with the foam rolling, I'm fine. If I get lazy with it, the pains start to creep back. Here's some introductory info:

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/flex ... Roller.htm

I bought my roller at Fitness Depot, but you can use a hard ball as well. At first, it HURT SO MUCH I would yell and cry! I had so many deep, deep knots and it took weeks to find them and roll them all out. It was like I'd roll out a layer of knots, then find an even deeper layer.

I'd like to get a smaller roller or maybe a medicine ball to get at harder to reach places, like inner thighs, the insides of my knees, etc. I can't say enough good things about this practice.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:36 am 

I agree on the foam rollers. I bought a long one last year, it takes up way too much space in my small apt. but so worth it.
Ideally I'd be able to afford a personal massage therapist who rubbed my legs before and after each run, but until it's foam rollers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:48 am 
Nailed to the V

I tried out the treadmill for the 1st time this morning, because I wanted get some variation from spin class. At first, my calves were burning & I was jogging 3min on 2min off. After 20min, something switched & I was able to jog for 15min non-stop. I don't think I've ever done that before! I'm feeling pretty encouraged & might make it a regular part of the routine.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:33 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yay, that's awesome! I love it when people become runners.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:44 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Imitation Of Chris wrote:
I started running about two and a half years ago. I'm currently taking a break and biking more, but I'll get back into it eventually. I've done two marathons and two half marathons. I definitely prefer longer distances.
I want to try an ultra at some point in the next two years, but I know I have to get more serious about dropping extra weight before I do. I love beer and wine too much.

I'm with you on that! I also like desserts. Just finished the Marine Corps Marathon on Sunday, have a half this month, another marathon in January and just and signed up for the Tough Mudder in May and a tri in September. This will either propel me to new fitness heights or (more likely) give me the excuse I need to keep eating and drinking without limit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 134  Next