| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 134  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:58 pm 
Offline
Frees Bunny Slippers

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:25 pm
Posts: 166
Location: Edmonton
I have that problem underneath my bra when I'm on long runs. I've used body glide. I have no idea if it's vegan. Unfortunately, I've never even considered that, but it works well.


Last edited by kecapcrazy on Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:59 pm 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:03 pm
Posts: 1135
Location: Knoxville, TN
I ran for the first time in over 2 weeks today (I've been sick). Rather than just doing a short run, I did week 3, day 2 of Bridge to 10K. That was probably not the best idea, as I nearly passed out while cooking dinner. D'oh. On the plus side, my boyfriend says I have to stay on the couch and he'll bring stuff to me. Score!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:54 am 
Offline
Huffs Nutritional Yeast
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:59 pm
Posts: 121
I haven't been running like I would like to. I have an old IT band injury from training for and running a full marathon in 2008 that still bothers me. I haven't been keeping up on the stretching like I should or doing any hip strengthening exercises, I'll admit. Has anyone experienced this?

_________________
I used to be the cowgirl of the concrete persuasion.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:27 am 
Offline
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:03 am
Posts: 1308
Location: Nova Scotia
I haven't had an IT band injury but my right one tends to be quite tight because my right leg is shorter than my left by a small amount.

A massage therapist one time told me that the stretch that I usually do is much more effective if you do it for at least two minutes, and in fact when we do it in yoga class we usually hold it for at least this long.

Here's a picture and description (scroll down to find it). Don't be distracted by hot the model is ;-)
http://www.the-fitness-motivator.com/stretches.html

This is probably not news to you but I didn't know it (about holding the stretch for a longer period). I do it a few times a week while I'm watching tv.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:37 pm 
Offline
Chip Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:37 pm
Posts: 998
Location: Oaktizzle
I started running about two and a half years ago. I'm currently taking a break and biking more, but I'll get back into it eventually. I've done two marathons and two half marathons. I definitely prefer longer distances.
I want to try an ultra at some point in the next two years, but I know I have to get more serious about dropping extra weight before I do. I love beer and wine too much.

_________________
Goddamn that Rick Santorum has a pretty mouth. -sameness


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:27 pm 
Offline
Frees Bunny Slippers

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:25 pm
Posts: 166
Location: Edmonton
Just back from a run and now deciding what to eat. this is my favourite part of the run---coming home and eating.

what's your favourite post run meal or snack?? I'm in a root vegetable and tofu sandwich kind of mood.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:35 pm 
Offline
Addicted to B12 Enemas
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:53 pm
Posts: 241
Location: Philadelphia, PA
kecapcrazy wrote:
Just back from a run and now deciding what to eat. this is my favourite part of the run---coming home and eating.

what's your favourite post run meal or snack?? I'm in a root vegetable and tofu sandwich kind of mood.



Ah I am pretty boring with post workout meals. It's usually just a smoothie since it's the easiest way to get carbs/protein back in my body. Now a few hours later is when I really chow down. :)

_________________
http://www.areyoukittenme.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:16 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:19 pm
Posts: 1804
Location: North Carolina
I love a Larabar and chocolate soy milk as my post-run snack!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:22 am 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:18 pm
Posts: 555
Location: MD/DC Metro
molly wrote:
I love a Larabar and vanilla almond milk as my post-run snack!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:09 pm 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:57 pm
Posts: 5127
Yay! Just came back from my run and feel fab. Saw lots of people walking their doggies. Now Imma slip in a hot bath and maybe have a nap before I embark on my cooking frenzy.

_________________
"I'm sorry! I'm Canadian!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:25 pm 
Offline
Frees Bunny Slippers

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:25 pm
Posts: 166
Location: Edmonton
seitanicverses wrote:
Yay! Just came back from my run and feel fab. Saw lots of people walking their doggies. Now Imma slip in a hot bath and maybe have a nap before I embark on my cooking frenzy.


what's on tap for your cooking frenzy.

I had a good run this morning...weather is a bit warmer and sunnier which helped. have squash roasting in the oven and cauliflower/carrot soup simmering on stove.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:46 pm 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:57 pm
Posts: 5127
kecapcrazy wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:
Yay! Just came back from my run and feel fab. Saw lots of people walking their doggies. Now Imma slip in a hot bath and maybe have a nap before I embark on my cooking frenzy.


what's on tap for your cooking frenzy.

I had a good run this morning...weather is a bit warmer and sunnier which helped. have squash roasting in the oven and cauliflower/carrot soup simmering on stove.


I'm making the miso tofu stew from VwaV (tofu's a'pressin') and the homestyle potato rolls from VCON (just about to start the yeast a'risin) and then peanut butter oatmeal cookies from VwaV because my peanut butter "expired" recently so I need to use it and...well..cookies!

I have salad nicoise fixings as well but that might wait till tomorrow now as I want to be able to sit down by 8:00 or 9:00 and enjoy my Halloween evening!

Yum, your fall delights sound delicious! I would be making more fall stuff but I've been so busy lately I bought all the fixings for this stuff a couple of weeks ago and just today, for the first time, really have a free stretch of hours to make it! I'm afraid my potatoes and shrooms for the stew will spoil if I don't use them today.

Enjoy your delicious food too! <3

_________________
"I'm sorry! I'm Canadian!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:53 pm 
Offline
Frees Bunny Slippers

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:25 pm
Posts: 166
Location: Edmonton
Yum! sounds great seitanicverses! Enjoy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:02 pm 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:18 pm
Posts: 555
Location: MD/DC Metro
I REALLY want to go for a run right now but there are like a billion kids outside trick-or-treating right now...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:49 pm 
Offline
Thinks Plants Have Feelings
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:33 pm
Posts: 58
Location: Brooklyn
I've been a casual runner for the past 3 years or so. I've Slowly built up my mileage to the point where I now average 15-20 miles/week.

I just signed up for my first half marathon (The NYC one) this upcoming March. I'm excited about the training.

I noticed almost all training plans are less than 14 weeks long. What's up with that? Anyone know of longer-term plans? Like, if I want to start training now, so as to really take it nice and gradual, do I just linger longer at every add-on of miles? Or is that somehow bad?

I'm not overly concerned, as I'm in pretty good shape, but I'm curious about what other runners' experience has been.

Also, I find that doing yoga 2-3 times/ week helps balance out my body and keep me injury free. Any tips on how to include this much yoga in my half marathon training program without over training?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:22 pm 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:12 pm
Posts: 2632
Location: MKE
I just went on my first jog/run in a really long time...it was a really short run, and not very fast, but I did it. I did a 4 mile/hour walk for 10 minutes and then a 5mph jog-thing for 10 minutes. Now I feel amazing, and can't wait to do it again!

_________________
"I think I am going to turn into a chickpea." ~Dakini
Love is like a pineapple, sweet and undefinable ~ Piet Hein


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:01 pm 
Offline
Huffs Nutritional Yeast
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:59 pm
Posts: 121
Arisaig wrote:
I haven't had an IT band injury but my right one tends to be quite tight because my right leg is shorter than my left by a small amount.

A massage therapist one time told me that the stretch that I usually do is much more effective if you do it for at least two minutes, and in fact when we do it in yoga class we usually hold it for at least this long.

Here's a picture and description (scroll down to find it). Don't be distracted by hot the model is ;-)
http://www.the-fitness-motivator.com/stretches.html

This is probably not news to you but I didn't know it (about holding the stretch for a longer period). I do it a few times a week while I'm watching tv.


Thanks! I've been incorporating that one into my routine.

_________________
I used to be the cowgirl of the concrete persuasion.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:02 pm 
Offline
Frees Bunny Slippers

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:25 pm
Posts: 166
Location: Edmonton
monkeygirl wrote:
I've been a casual runner for the past 3 years or so. I've Slowly built up my mileage to the point where I now average 15-20 miles/week.

I just signed up for my first half marathon (The NYC one) this upcoming March. I'm excited about the training.

I noticed almost all training plans are less than 14 weeks long. What's up with that? Anyone know of longer-term plans? Like, if I want to start training now, so as to really take it nice and gradual, do I just linger longer at every add-on of miles? Or is that somehow bad?

I'm not overly concerned, as I'm in pretty good shape, but I'm curious about what other runners' experience has been.

Also, I find that doing yoga 2-3 times/ week helps balance out my body and keep me injury free. Any tips on how to include this much yoga in my half marathon training program without over training?


Congrats for signing up for NYC.
It never hurts when training to have a great base before the "official" training plan starts. Incorporate some rest days, have some lower mileage weeks to recover, and perhaps do yoga on your non-running days. I could see running 4-5 days/week and yoga on the other days.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:15 pm 
Offline
Thinks Plants Have Feelings
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:33 pm
Posts: 58
Location: Brooklyn
kecapcrazy wrote:
monkeygirl wrote:
I've been a casual runner for the past 3 years or so. I've Slowly built up my mileage to the point where I now average 15-20 miles/week.

I just signed up for my first half marathon (The NYC one) this upcoming March. I'm excited about the training.

I noticed almost all training plans are less than 14 weeks long. What's up with that? Anyone know of longer-term plans? Like, if I want to start training now, so as to really take it nice and gradual, do I just linger longer at every add-on of miles? Or is that somehow bad?

I'm not overly concerned, as I'm in pretty good shape, but I'm curious about what other runners' experience has been.

Also, I find that doing yoga 2-3 times/ week helps balance out my body and keep me injury free. Any tips on how to include this much yoga in my half marathon training program without over training?


Congrats for signing up for NYC.
It never hurts when training to have a great base before the "official" training plan starts. Incorporate some rest days, have some lower mileage weeks to recover, and perhaps do yoga on your non-running days. I could see running 4-5 days/week and yoga on the other days.


Thanks for the input on adding mileage over a longer period of time.

Re: yoga. Yeah, my intuition is it would be ok to do yoga on "rest" days and then maybe keep one day a week completely free. So far that is what I've done and it has treated me well.
Anyone have any experience with this/ know if it is ok? (Of course everyone is different, but I like to hear other people's stories.)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:48 pm 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:12 pm
Posts: 2632
Location: MKE
I just did another run! The elections were stressing me out and I did 20 minutes at 6mph. Tomorrow should be rough. But I feel so good now

_________________
"I think I am going to turn into a chickpea." ~Dakini
Love is like a pineapple, sweet and undefinable ~ Piet Hein


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:36 am 
Offline
Hearts James Cromwell

Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:22 pm
Posts: 54
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Hi, I've been a runner for years but was constantly hampered by periodic injuries. Stretching and yoga helped a tiny bit, but I was pretty inconsistent with them both - esp. yoga. Yoga was more effective, but time consuming...BUT THEN I discovered the joys of foam rolling about 2 years ago, and i have been 100% injury free since then. I can work out 5 days a week and if I keep up with the foam rolling, I'm fine. If I get lazy with it, the pains start to creep back. Here's some introductory info:

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/flex ... Roller.htm

I bought my roller at Fitness Depot, but you can use a hard ball as well. At first, it HURT SO MUCH I would yell and cry! I had so many deep, deep knots and it took weeks to find them and roll them all out. It was like I'd roll out a layer of knots, then find an even deeper layer.

I'd like to get a smaller roller or maybe a medicine ball to get at harder to reach places, like inner thighs, the insides of my knees, etc. I can't say enough good things about this practice.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:36 am 
Offline
Thinks Plants Have Feelings
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:33 pm
Posts: 58
Location: Brooklyn
I agree on the foam rollers. I bought a long one last year, it takes up way too much space in my small apt. but so worth it.
Ideally I'd be able to afford a personal massage therapist who rubbed my legs before and after each run, but until it's foam rollers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:48 am 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:44 pm
Posts: 557
Location: ATX
I tried out the treadmill for the 1st time this morning, because I wanted get some variation from spin class. At first, my calves were burning & I was jogging 3min on 2min off. After 20min, something switched & I was able to jog for 15min non-stop. I don't think I've ever done that before! I'm feeling pretty encouraged & might make it a regular part of the routine.

_________________
Taco Cleanse Zine
Maximum Salad


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:33 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:19 pm
Posts: 1804
Location: North Carolina
Yay, that's awesome! I love it when people become runners.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:44 pm 
Offline
Tofu Pup Forever

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:43 am
Posts: 17
Location: New Jersey
Imitation Of Chris wrote:
I started running about two and a half years ago. I'm currently taking a break and biking more, but I'll get back into it eventually. I've done two marathons and two half marathons. I definitely prefer longer distances.
I want to try an ultra at some point in the next two years, but I know I have to get more serious about dropping extra weight before I do. I love beer and wine too much.


I'm with you on that! I also like desserts. Just finished the Marine Corps Marathon on Sunday, have a half this month, another marathon in January and just and signed up for the Tough Mudder in May and a tri in September. This will either propel me to new fitness heights or (more likely) give me the excuse I need to keep eating and drinking without limit.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 134  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer