| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tough Mudder
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:57 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

My bf's sister is organizing some people to do a Tough Mudder event in NJ this fall. I've never heard of this until today...it looks insane!! I'm thinking about registering for it it with them...I know it will totally kick my asparagus, but it also looks like it could be a ton of fun and amazing experience...I'm scared though!

Has any one ever done one?

www.toughmudder.com

"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."

Post subject: Re: Tough Mudder
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:46 pm 
Nailed to the V

I have a friend who did one in Norther California, and he had a really positive experience. He was in good shape and took it pretty slow, but it sounded like it was a serious challenge without being ridiculous. I guess the most unexpected part was making him take a shot of hot sauce with a few hundred yards to go! He also said there was a water-based obstacle that was so cold his balls felt like they were going to freeze off. Even after all that, however, he had a great time, and it sounds like he'd do it again. I was thinking about signing up for one, too, but am not sure if I'm quite that hardcore. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:59 pm 
Tofu Pup

I did the Tough Mudder in April of last year at Bear Creek in PA. Definitely cold and wet and dirty, but also tons of fun. My advice is to go w/ a good group of people who will help encourage you. It was worth the experience but I don't know if I'd do it again. We also did the Warrior Dash last year, and are doing it again in June, and it was more fun and not as hard. Go for it! You can't know unless you try.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:50 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I signed up for the VA one yesterday with Mr. Fish. We're very excited.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:50 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I really want to do one but I'm kind of chicken.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:51 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Yea, I'm still undecided. They haven't registered yet, and I won't till they do if I decide to do it. I'm terrified of being under water, so the challenges like the monkey bars over the water (I have NO upper body strength & would plummet right away) and the tunnels half filled with water (I'm super claustrophobic)....scare the crepe outta me. But then I think, Well that's the point-to overcome my fears. Plus I hate hate hate being cold, and am a huge baby about it, and the NJ one is in November. Running around soaking wet in November NJ weather seems like torture.

But at the same time, I love a challenge...think it would be a cool experience to do with my boyfriend & be able to say I've done, and I'm sure I would feel super pumped and proud of myself after.

So I don't know....still deciding....

"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:27 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I would totally do this, but NJ is too far away. I wanted to do the one in VT this month, but it was the weekend before my final exam. I have a friend who did it and loved it! I might do a warrior dash... I think there is one close enough to get to this summer.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:19 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'm not fit enough for a Tough Mudder, but I did sign up for a Mud Run -- http://www.muddernaturechallenge.com/

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:06 am 
Huffs Nooch

I would love to do one of these. Or maybe start with Warrior Dash or one of the other ones which are less intense.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:24 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

ShawnieT wrote:
I would love to do one of these. Or maybe start with Warrior Dash or one of the other ones which are less intense.

Do some cross racing with us this year! It's like the same thing but on a bike!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:47 pm 
Huffs Nooch

abbierae wrote:
Do some cross racing with us this year! It's like the same thing but on a bike!
Tell me when and where!

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:24 am 
Smuggling Raisins

wow, those videos look intense.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:05 pm 
Wonderful Kernel of Wheat

I did the Warrior Dash last year. This year I've got the Hero Rush in August, and I'm thinking of signing up for the Tough Mudder in North Jersey in October (http://toughmudder.com/events/tri-state-2012/). I don't have a lot of friends who are into running...or athletic activity of any kind...so right now I'm planning to do it solo. I'd love to have a few other people to run this with, so if anyone is interested in going, let me know so that we can form a team!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:43 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I am nowhere near in shape enough for that, and will not be for at least a year (maybe two), but thank you for posting because now I have a new goal. hahaha.

Goal #1: Run For Your Lives (5k run from zombies).
Goal #2-? 10K, strength training, ability to do more than 1 pushup, ability to do ANY chinups...
Goal # ultimate: Do one of theeeeeeeeeese. 2014 or 2015. YES.

I love those delusional first few minutes of the day where I grossly underestimate my love of sleep. -lurky mclurkerson

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:33 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

That looks like SO MUCH FUN. I'd love to do something like that but get super scared thinking about how my knee would stand up (dislocated my patella 7x, haven't recently but I'm also more careful and do knee-friendly exercise now + broke my tibia right in the knee joint and needed surgery a couple years ago). There's one here in 2013 so maybe I'll start training with more running and see how my knee holds up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:59 am 
Hip Goiter

Oh man! So cool! I was totally on board and excited until I saw the crawling through the pipes half-filled with muddy water. I started hyperventilating just watching that, so unfortunately I would not be able to get through that mentally. But it looks awesome.

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:40 pm 
Wonderful Kernel of Wheat

You are allowed to skip obstacles if you want. I've heard that at some Tough Mudder events, there's a "mystery obstacle" where you're supposed to eat a habanero pepper and then jump in ice water. I can do the ice water, but there's no way I'm going to eat a whole habanero in the middle of a 12-mile run!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:35 pm 
Human Gravy

I totally want to do this, but I need someone more seasoned to workout with. I have a feeling my regular routine of running, elliptical, rowing machine, and yoga isn't going to cut it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:12 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I know a lot of people that do Tough Mudder and Warrior Dash. They always have fun, one girl I know went with a group and had people sponsor them, and they gave the money to a charity.

This stuff is right up my alley...but after Wipeout, I am scared. That shiitake is HARD. I think these are harder than they look.

But my injuries from Wipeout are almost all better (18 months later) so maybe I will try one in the fall. I must have a death wish.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:22 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

RandiJM wrote:
Oh man! So cool! I was totally on board and excited until I saw the crawling through the pipes half-filled with muddy water. I started hyperventilating just watching that, so unfortunately I would not be able to get through that mentally. But it looks awesome.

randi, if you decide to do it, you'll at least have a ride there and back. :-)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:15 pm 
Hip Goiter

Are you doing it??!!

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

RandiJM wrote:
Are you doing it??!!

me? gourd no! unclegramps is mr. carrot. (i'm just going to spectate.)
(now that i think about it, i wonder if luftpost would be interested. i'll send her a message.)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:04 pm 
Hip Goiter

Ahh good to know! I would definitely consider doing it in maybe a year+ (have to finish Insanity, then repeat it like 7x).

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:30 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I am signed up for a Swampfoot 4-mile. It is similar but less distance. I am doing it with all of my in-laws and not many of them are runners. Should be interesting. I can run no problem, but I think the cold muddy water and obstacles are going to get the best of me. Oh well. I needed something fun to keep me running. Husband thinks I am going to kill myself. We are 31, so I am pretty sure my body can handle an obstacle course still.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:50 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Bumping this because I just signed up for Tough Mudder with a team from work. It's in May. Has anyone done one before? I definitely need to work on my upper body strength and I'm scared of the electricity obstacles. Also, I wear glasses and am thinking about how to handle that. It seems like there are obstacles where they could fall off and you could lose them. I've gotten contacts in the past when I knew I was going snorkeling or something, but I hate wearing them - I guess if I decide to wear them I will have to work on that as part of my training!

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next