| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Perfume
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:19 pm 
Double double, toil and trouble

I love some of the vegan LUSH scents!

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:10 am 
WELFARIST!

Yeah, I like some of the new Lush ones too.

I spritzed on some of the Origins Ginger one when I was downtown on the weekend and it smelled really nice. I think I'll buy it soon when I run out of Kai.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:20 am 
Ninja Master

That makes me sad about JP-Gaultier!! I love my Classique, but I guess I won't be replacing it when it finally runs out. :-(

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:30 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

jessilikewhoa wrote:
According to Wikipedia "All Jean Paul Gaultier perfumes are produced under a long-term license by Paris-based Beauté Prestige International, a division of the Japanese company Shiseido that also produces fragrances for Narciso Rodriguez, Elie Saab and Issey Miyake."

I don't know about Gaultier, but I do know the parent company Shiseido test.

Whoa, this is heartbreaking...I look up Issey Miyake everytime I go to re-buy my beloved Eau D'Issey and it comes up as okay... :,(

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”
--Margaret Meade

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:44 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I emailed them earlier, but haven't heard back. Does anyone know if Bond No. 9 perfumes are tested on animals and if they're vegan? They have a sample in the new Issue of Vogue that I keep sniffing obsessively.
http://www.ilovenyfragrances.com/#/all-theperfume/
I want to make out with this perfume. Except not, because perfume tastes awful.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:49 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I only wear Origins ginger now. If anyone could ever tell me Mitsouko was vegan I would give them whatever they wanted. I've said this before so I guess it's not. That was the only perfume I ever wore aged between 16 and 35. If we go past a Guerlain stand I sniff it longingly and my husband says "That smells like you". I get all teary, and then he tries to make me get some.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:57 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Are people 100% sure Dior perfumes aren't tested? I will be so happy if they aren't, because Hypnotic Poison smells so good I want to cry, but I haven't bought it for years because I was sure Dior tested.

I just googled it, but results were inconclusive....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:13 pm 
WRETCHED

I don't wear perfume but I go crazy for the Origins ginger scents. They are my favorite.

I think Dior is on the list of 'we don't test our finished product but we might include animal tested products from other companies'. Who knows if the tests occurred last week or last decade though and any associations with the company that did the testing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:57 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Not sure if anyone else is interested, but Bond No. 9 wrote me back

Quote:
Thank you for your e-mail and interest in Bond No. 9, the first New York scent ever made.
Bond No. 9 does not test on animal and are vegan - friendly.

I see perfume sampling in my near future.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:43 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

My two favorite perfumes unfortunately are Calvin Klein Obsession and Elizabeth Arden Green Tea. But I think both companies test. Can anyone recommend similar vegan perfumes I might enjoy?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:21 pm 
Ninja Master

I thought Dior were on the don't test list but a google shows them up on one don't test and one do test list. So I'm stumped.

I'll be pissed if they do though, because I just recently spent £75 on a bottle of Pure Poison thinking they don't test.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:32 pm 
WRETCHED

baps wrote:
I thought Dior were on the don't test list but a google shows them up on one don't test and one do test list. So I'm stumped.

I'll be pissed if they do though, because I just recently spent £75 on a bottle of Pure Poison thinking they don't test.

The only list I found that said Dior doesn't test was a list compiled based on a list from PETA on companies that do test. So the list contained a list of companies that weren't known companies that test. They could test or they could contract out testing, you don't really know because they don't say that their ingredients aren't tested. I believe they only state their final products aren't tested on animals.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:19 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Efcliz wrote:
I only wear Origins ginger now. If anyone could ever tell me Mitsouko was vegan I would give them whatever they wanted. I've said this before so I guess it's not. That was the only perfume I ever wore aged between 16 and 35. If we go past a Guerlain stand I sniff it longingly and my husband says "That smells like you". I get all teary, and then he tries to make me get some.

I am fairly certain that they don't test. I sent them an email asking specifically about Mitsouko.

It was Jean Harlow's favorite perfume and is arguably one of the greatest perfumes ever created.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:19 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Vantine wrote:
Efcliz wrote:

I am fairly certain that they don't test. I sent them an email asking specifically about Mitsouko.

It was Jean Harlow's favorite perfume and is arguably one of the greatest perfumes ever created.

It's not arguable, as far as I'm concerned. Even if they don't test, what about the ingredients? I might write to them, but this could turn out to be the best day of my life. I'm trying not to get hopes up.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:41 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

For EFcLiz from Guerlain
Quote:
Dear Miss,

I acknowledge receipt of your mail from 11/6/2011 and I thank you for sending it.

I inform you that Guerlain perfumes are rich compositions of many different ingredients that combine to give each fragrance its own unique and multi-faceted aura. Some of these ingredients release an extremely sensual animal note (or facet) on the skin.

Our perfumes contain no animal ingredients. In keeping with its desire to comply with applicable legislation and regulations, our Guerlain perfumer have pursued a relentless effort to find authorized substitutes for the forbidden ingredients of animal origin.

Thanks to the broad palette of resources available to the perfumer, there are several possible solutions:
- Some molecules and bases have the same effect as the animal substances.
- Furthermore, natural raw materials extracted from flowers or wood can impart a sensual note comparable to the animal ingredients traditionally used.

In other words, there are myriad ways to preserve the sensual aura of Guerlain perfumes without incorporating prohibited ingredients into their formulae.

Moreover, you are asking about the tests on animals in the elaboration of the Guerlain products.

Since 1989, Guerlain do not perform any test on animals for the products they put on the market, long before the official ban in 2004 in the European Union.

Guerlain believes that ending animal testing is a benefit for all: consumers, animal welfare and industry. LVMH Group, to which Guerlain belongs, played a leading role in the development of alternative methods engaging important funds into the “Fund for Alternatives to Animal Testing” in Washington D.C., as well as, in France, in the Opal program. This approach permitted to Guerlain to guarantee answers to the double demand, consumer safety and respect of animal life.

The cosmetic industry is committed by the European cosmetics directive to stopping animal testing for substances used for cosmetics in acute toxicity studies in March 2009 and in repeated-dose toxicity studies in 2013. Furthermore in 2011, the European Commission will issue a report to assess the progress made to date about validation of alternatives to animal testing and the difficulties encountered, the challenges for 2013 are considerable.
Like we always did, Guerlain, as a responsible industry, respect the European legislation as we respect regulations worldwide.

The development of alternatives methods is a real scientific challenge and Guerlain is committed to continue to make all efforts in order to respect legislation, consumer safety and animal life.

Thank you for your interest in our brand.

Yours faithfully,

Customer Relationship Department

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:02 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

This made me freakishly happy. Hopefully it pleases others as well. Just got this email from Demeter
Quote:
Dear Jessica:

Thank you so much for your interest in products from Demeter Fragrance Library. I am pleased to advise you we use no animal products or by products in our fragrance products. I hope you can enjoy them a bit more, secure in that knowledge.

I own and love Laundromat and Wet Garden, but there are soooo many more they sell that I want. Doing a happy dance in my chair!

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:01 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

oooh i love demeter too! dirt forever. i also really liked holy water back in the day, and rain.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:04 am 
Ninja Master

I got this from Dior:

Quote:
Dear Sarah,
Our principal mission and our duty: to guarantee safe, high quality products for our consumers. Committed to upholding consumer’s confidence in its products, the LVMH group has always endeavoured to supply products of consistently high, impeccable quality.
Thus, the products we develop comply with the strictest legislations throughout the world, whilst also meeting our internal development criteria and the most stringent quality, traceability and safety constraints. This dual requisite guarantees the product’s safety for the consumer.

Since 1989, the Perfumes & Cosmetics companies of the LVMH Group have no longer carried out animal testing of the products they place on the market, hence long before the official ban in the European Union came into force in 2004.

The LVMH Group is convinced that the end of animal testing benefits the consumer, animal well-being and the industry. The LVMH Group has played a determining role in the development of alternative methods to animal testing by devoting large amounts of money to the Fund for Alternatives to Animal Testing in Washington D.C., as well as in France by participating in the Opal programme. This strategy of the LVMH Group has enabled its Perfumes & Cosmetics companies to meet a double requisite, that of consumer safety and of respect for animal life.

The European cosmetics directive, in a new amendment, obliges the cosmetics industry to stop the testing of substances used in cosmetic products on animals. This ban came into effect in March 2009 for acute toxicity tests and will come into force in 2013 for repeated toxicity tests. Furthermore, in 2011 the European Commission will issue a report concerning the progress made to date in the validation of alternative tests and the difficulties encountered, so the stakes for the 2013 deadline are high.

As they always have done, the Perfumes & Cosmetics companies of the LVMH Group, as responsible industrialists, naturally comply with the European regulations as well as with the other international legislations.

The developpment of alternative methods is a real scientific challenge and the LVMH Group is committed to continuing to make all necessary efforts to comply with the legislation, consumer safety and animal life.

Sincerely,
Stéphanie
Dior OnLine - Parfums Christian Dior

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:08 am 
Cranky

jessilikewhoa wrote:
This made me freakishly happy. Hopefully it pleases others as well. Just got this email from Demeter
Quote:
Dear Jessica:

Thank you so much for your interest in products from Demeter Fragrance Library. I am pleased to advise you we use no animal products or by products in our fragrance products. I hope you can enjoy them a bit more, secure in that knowledge.

I own and love Laundromat and Wet Garden, but there are soooo many more they sell that I want. Doing a happy dance in my chair!

That's a different response than they gave a couple of years ago! They said most of their stuff was vegan, but wouldn't give specifics and suggested going with florals. Hmmm.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:39 am 
WRETCHED

baps wrote:
I got this from Dior:

Quote:
Dear Sarah,
Our principal mission and our duty: to guarantee safe, high quality products for our consumers. Committed to upholding consumer’s confidence in its products, the LVMH group has always endeavoured to supply products of consistently high, impeccable quality.
Thus, the products we develop comply with the strictest legislations throughout the world, whilst also meeting our internal development criteria and the most stringent quality, traceability and safety constraints. This dual requisite guarantees the product’s safety for the consumer.

Since 1989, the Perfumes & Cosmetics companies of the LVMH Group have no longer carried out animal testing of the products they place on the market, hence long before the official ban in the European Union came into force in 2004.

The LVMH Group is convinced that the end of animal testing benefits the consumer, animal well-being and the industry. The LVMH Group has played a determining role in the development of alternative methods to animal testing by devoting large amounts of money to the Fund for Alternatives to Animal Testing in Washington D.C., as well as in France by participating in the Opal programme. This strategy of the LVMH Group has enabled its Perfumes & Cosmetics companies to meet a double requisite, that of consumer safety and of respect for animal life.

The European cosmetics directive, in a new amendment, obliges the cosmetics industry to stop the testing of substances used in cosmetic products on animals. This ban came into effect in March 2009 for acute toxicity tests and will come into force in 2013 for repeated toxicity tests. Furthermore, in 2011 the European Commission will issue a report concerning the progress made to date in the validation of alternative tests and the difficulties encountered, so the stakes for the 2013 deadline are high.

As they always have done, the Perfumes & Cosmetics companies of the LVMH Group, as responsible industrialists, naturally comply with the European regulations as well as with the other international legislations.

The developpment of alternative methods is a real scientific challenge and the LVMH Group is committed to continuing to make all necessary efforts to comply with the legislation, consumer safety and animal life.

Sincerely,
Stéphanie
Dior OnLine - Parfums Christian Dior

So basically they are saying they don't test the final product but ingredients are tested?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:08 am 
Ninja Master

I didn't take that from it, but maybe yeah.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Dr. Apricot wrote:
That's a different response than they gave a couple of years ago! They said most of their stuff was vegan, but wouldn't give specifics and suggested going with florals. Hmmm.

My email was from their CEO, so I would assume it's accurate. I do know that he bought the company in 2002, so maybe he oversaw a switch in formulas?

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:49 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

Demeter has been vegan for awhile!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:00 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Has anyone tried any Bunny Butt Apothecary's perfume? You know, just for daily use.
I have their deodorant and really love the smell (cucumber tea).

Does anybody have some tip on the smell or know whether it's good or not?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:38 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

leticia wrote:

Does anybody have some tip on the smell or know whether it's good or not?

I have Lycheerous - it smells good but the scent fades fast!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next