| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Inspirational gardens
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:28 am 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:28 pm
Posts: 3268
A friend just sent me the link to this garden, I absolutely love it! I wish we could so something similar, it's so cute.

Image

Do you guys have photos of gardens that inspire you?

_________________
CupcakeKitteh


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inspirational gardens
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:48 am 
Offline
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:03 pm
Posts: 1332
Location: Denver
Whoa, that's awsome. I love the stepping stones in the plush grass.

_________________
my roommate spilled tuna juice on the bathroom floor while he was eating on the toilet! should i bleach the floor or just tear up the tile? - acr
Vegan Coloradical


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inspirational gardens
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:55 am 
Offline
ol' garly cooch
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:41 pm
Posts: 2828
Location: Kashyyyk
I saw this on FB this morning. I have some envy! I'd love to meet the owner.

_________________
I'm not dead, just sick.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inspirational gardens
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:59 am 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:28 am
Posts: 415
Location: Au
wow! i love how tidy it is, although i'm sure i could never be that disciplined! so bright and lovely.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inspirational gardens
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:54 am 
Offline
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:03 pm
Posts: 1332
Location: Denver
I've had these bookmarked for a while, they're so cool:

Here is a conceptual design for an urban spiral garden. More at designboom.
Image

And here's a community garden in Berlin that's entirely in containers so that it can be mobile:
Image
Image

_________________
my roommate spilled tuna juice on the bathroom floor while he was eating on the toilet! should i bleach the floor or just tear up the tile? - acr
Vegan Coloradical


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inspirational gardens
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:36 pm 
Offline
Venomous Head of Veganism
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 8592
Goddam, I love the purple garden, too. And now I feel inadequate.

_________________
"You guys are a little bit fast to identify as not-mumbles. " ~ mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inspirational gardens
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:00 am 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:28 pm
Posts: 3268
That community garden is fantastic, Abbie

_________________
CupcakeKitteh


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inspirational gardens
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:10 pm 
Offline
Santa is a WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:28 pm
Posts: 1035
Location: PDX
Not veggie gardens, but still awesome
Image


Image

_________________
"Produce pot pie is my loved. I suchlike it with gust pastry on top tho', not a dry crust."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inspirational gardens
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:26 pm 
Offline
A gift from the crasshole god.

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:57 am
Posts: 2523
Kitteh wrote:
A friend just sent me the link to this garden, I absolutely love it! I wish we could so something similar, it's so cute.

Image

Do you guys have photos of gardens that inspire you?


I gasped when I saw this. So, so pretty!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inspirational gardens
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:02 pm 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:28 pm
Posts: 3268
Sarah-Jane wrote:
I gasped when I saw this. So, so pretty!

Me too and I think there was some squealing involved too!

Here's a great idea for balconies or courtyards
Image

_________________
CupcakeKitteh


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inspirational gardens
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:42 pm 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:28 pm
Posts: 3268
I have lots of succulents that I was going to get rid of but I feel bad for them and then I saw lots of arrangements online and I'd like to try to create some too

Image

_________________
CupcakeKitteh


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inspirational gardens
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:11 am 
Offline
Venomous Head of Veganism
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 8592
Kitteh wrote:
Sarah-Jane wrote:
I gasped when I saw this. So, so pretty!

Me too and I think there was some squealing involved too!

Here's a great idea for balconies or courtyards
Image

Coolest ever.

_________________
"You guys are a little bit fast to identify as not-mumbles. " ~ mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inspirational gardens
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:13 am 
Offline
ol' garly cooch
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:41 pm
Posts: 2828
Location: Kashyyyk
Wow, what a great use for a palate and that is some punk rock vertical gardening at it's finest.

_________________
I'm not dead, just sick.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inspirational gardens
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:01 pm 
Offline
Santa is a WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:28 pm
Posts: 1035
Location: PDX
This is cute!

Image

Also how do they make sure these squash don't fall?!

Image

That last one is from the Rosemoor Royal Horticultural Garden in Great Torrington, England.

_________________
"Produce pot pie is my loved. I suchlike it with gust pastry on top tho', not a dry crust."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inspirational gardens
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:28 pm 
Offline
Plays The Sims 2 religiously
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:20 pm
Posts: 7410
Location: Portland, OR
Heh! We use those tin cans at work for floral displays. The rustier the better! Kinda funny how common garbage is now considered quite aesthetically pleasing!

Also, Kitteh... succulents are really popular right now for floral arranging, also:
Image
Maybe if any of your succulents are growing tall enough to have, I don't know, at least 6 inch stems, you could try harvesting them and selling them to local floral shops for a bit o' cash.

_________________
i would schmear marmite on a moist scrotum for Mars. - interrobang?!
"Not everything." ~ mumbles (1973-2013) - mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inspirational gardens
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:40 pm 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 10310
Location: Wolfville, Nova Scotia
This isn't as pretty or cute, but this is my boss' organic community garden project employing the "unemployable" in Vancouver's downtown east side. I would call it inspirational!

Image
Image
edit: I guess it's more of a farm, but they call it a garden.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inspirational gardens
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:55 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:15 am
Posts: 1806
Location: rva
Kitteh wrote:
I have lots of succulents that I was going to get rid of but I feel bad for them and then I saw lots of arrangements online and I'd like to try to create some too

Image


we have a little succulent arrangement i did myself, Kitteh - it was super easy. i just got the soil for them and some of those small rocks to top the soil with (more for looks than practicality) and we shoved a bunch of the little plants in an "on-sale" planter we got at a home improvement store. it looks great, it's low maintenance, and really adds some character to the plant stand in our living room. everyone always comments on how cute it is! <3 you should totally make your own - i bet you'll love it!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inspirational gardens
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:58 pm 
Offline
Venomous Head of Veganism
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 8592
I'm going on a guided garden walk on Sunday to look at the best gardens in Omaha. Let the jealousy begin.

_________________
"You guys are a little bit fast to identify as not-mumbles. " ~ mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inspirational gardens
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:32 pm 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:28 pm
Posts: 3268
Take photos for us, Isa

IsaChandra wrote:
Kitteh wrote:

Coolest ever.
jewbacca wrote:
Wow, what a great use for a palate and that is some punk rock vertical gardening at it's finest.


We have stacks of pallets at work, I could do one of these but I'd have no where to put it.

Mars wrote:
Heh! We use those tin cans at work for floral displays. The rustier the better! Kinda funny how common garbage is now considered quite aesthetically pleasing!

Also, Kitteh... succulents are really popular right now for floral arranging, also:
Image
Maybe if any of your succulents are growing tall enough to have, I don't know, at least 6 inch stems, you could try harvesting them and selling them to local floral shops for a bit o' cash.

That looks lovely! And the ones I have do have long stems but I don't know if florists would buy from a home gardener, would they? I have been wondering if there's anywhere I could sell back or give my plants to because I hate the thought of healthy plants being chucked in with the gardening rubbish.

Muffy - I love the tin can garden. A bought a garden magazine and they'd painted some in ice cream colours and they looked lovely

Vijita - that's a lot of produce! Do the people that work there get to take it home when harvested?

Jessy - thanks for the tips, I think they'd make good presents too! My mum used to love those little, bright coloured cacti but they all died so I think she'd appreciate one of these.

_________________
CupcakeKitteh


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inspirational gardens
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:01 pm 
Offline
Naked Under Apron
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:09 am
Posts: 1791
Location: New Portleans
I love this thread! Could everyone please give original links so we can read more about them. I want to know more about the tin can garden. I've tried that and I find it hard to keep everything moist.

_________________
Cake Maker to the Stars

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inspirational gardens
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:21 pm 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:28 pm
Posts: 3268
kittee wrote:
I love this thread! Could everyone please give original links so we can read more about them. I want to know more about the tin can garden. I've tried that and I find it hard to keep everything moist.

I found the link for the tin can garden that Muffin posted but it's from a gardeing show so there aren't any details.

The magazine I have said they don't last more than a year, is that because the tin rusts?

_________________
CupcakeKitteh


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inspirational gardens
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:50 pm 
Offline
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:37 pm
Posts: 1347
Location: Foresaken Desert
This could quite possibly be one of the best threads ever.

_________________
Kim Cooks Veg 4U Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inspirational gardens
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:21 pm 
Offline
Plays The Sims 2 religiously
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:20 pm
Posts: 7410
Location: Portland, OR
Kitteh wrote:
That looks lovely! And the ones I have do have long stems but I don't know if florists would buy from a home gardener, would they? I have been wondering if there's anywhere I could sell back or give my plants to because I hate the thought of healthy plants being chucked in with the gardening rubbish.

There is no reason why they wouldn't, as long as you give them a good price, and have an okay amount of bulk at one time (I'd say at least ten stems). To figure out price, maybe peek inside a couple flower shops and look at what retail prices they are charging for similar product that you have. Then divide that by two and you could try selling for that price, if they don't go for that, lower it a bit, just saying you weren't really sure what the standard was.

_________________
i would schmear marmite on a moist scrotum for Mars. - interrobang?!
"Not everything." ~ mumbles (1973-2013) - mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inspirational gardens
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:47 pm 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:28 pm
Posts: 3268
Mars wrote:
Kitteh wrote:
That looks lovely! And the ones I have do have long stems but I don't know if florists would buy from a home gardener, would they? I have been wondering if there's anywhere I could sell back or give my plants to because I hate the thought of healthy plants being chucked in with the gardening rubbish.

There is no reason why they wouldn't, as long as you give them a good price, and have an okay amount of bulk at one time (I'd say at least ten stems). To figure out price, maybe peek inside a couple flower shops and look at what retail prices they are charging for similar product that you have. Then divide that by two and you could try selling for that price, if they don't go for that, lower it a bit, just saying you weren't really sure what the standard was.

Thanks, Mars! I will have a look at some local florists.

_________________
CupcakeKitteh


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inspirational gardens
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:45 pm 
Offline
The Real Hamburger Helper
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:31 pm
Posts: 2234
Location: Austin, TX
Muffin-Tuffin wrote:
Not veggie gardens, but still awesome
]

Wow! I love both of these, I need to find some old rugs!

I saw this Vertical Salad Garden on renest
Image

"The edible wall of lettuces, arugula, Swiss chard, mustard, strawberries and herbs uses a French riddling rack to hold seeds instead of wine. "

_________________
blarg Lazy Smurf's Guide to Life
twitter @veganLazySmurf
Pinterest


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer