| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: No one's resurrected a DivaCup thread, yet?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:42 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

allychristine wrote:
It's the best! I've always been 100% comfortable changing it in the shower, but haven't fully gotten there out of the shower. I tried the other day (during my heaviest days), and I had one of those crime scene moments. I have a hard time taking it out cleanly when it's full/semi full. I try to keep it upright and steady, but it seems to shoot out anyway ?

yes! some days i just - blood everywhere - such a disaster.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:19 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

appifanie wrote:
yes! some days i just - blood everywhere - such a disaster.

uh... sometimes in a public washroom...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:30 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I had the hardest time with my Diva Cup at first, but now that I've gotten the hang of it, I don't know how I ever lived without it!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:04 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I've been thinking about getting one of these for my teenage daughter... just not quite sure how she will react to it.

Does it have toxic shock risks like tampons do? I've read the site and didn't see them but maybe I missed it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:20 pm 
Dildo Queen

amethyst wrote:
I had the hardest time with my Diva Cup at first, but now that I've gotten the hang of it, I don't know how I ever lived without it!

yes, me too, because i was only trying the C-fold, and i caused myself so much agony - physical pain and humiliation because i felt ashamed. i was like "i don't even know anything about my body!!!" and felt like a failure. lame. and then i went online and discovered that other fold whcih made it SO much easier to put it in.

also. my friend just got one!! i'm so excited for her, she really likes it. but some other female friends i mention it to they are disgusted by the idea and are pro-tampon. i try telling them that tampons are doing worse things to their bodieeees and are bleached, etc. and they would save so much money! my one friend thinks that the diva cup is primarily about creating less waste and she says that men should have to cut back on their garbage production, it's not fair to women to feel they have to cut back, she sticks with tampons. i just don't see how diva cups are any more disgusting than tampons? they both go inside you for a few hours and collect your shed tissue. i think it's because they don't like the idea of having to wash it and put it back in. i think hippies are excited by the diva cup. most other people are repulsed by anything reusable.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:33 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Menstrual cups, in general, don't have the same risk of TSS as tampons. Cups aren't absorbent and aren't prone to drying out your vagina, which can cause splits in vaginal walls and increase risk of infection, so they're less likely to cause TSS. Cup companies also say you can leave the cup in for several hours (DivaCup used to say 12, but now they say 8 to be on the safe side and I'm sure for legal reasons). However, the menstrual cup manufacturers are all required by law to say there is still a risk of TSS.

Plus, they say that you should either consult your doctor or simply not use a menstrual cup if you have previously had TSS.

But in my opinion, I don't think cups pose a significant risk for Toxic Shock if you clean it properly before using and use it correctly.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:29 am 
Dildo Queen

CNA wrote:
Menstrual cups, in general, don't have the same risk of TSS as tampons. Cups aren't absorbent and aren't prone to drying out your vagina, which can cause splits in vaginal walls and increase risk of infection, so they're less likely to cause TSS. Cup companies also say you can leave the cup in for several hours (DivaCup used to say 12, but now they say 8 to be on the safe side and I'm sure for legal reasons). However, the menstrual cup manufacturers are all required by law to say there is still a risk of TSS.

Plus, they say that you should either consult your doctor or simply not use a menstrual cup if you have previously had TSS.

But in my opinion, I don't think cups pose a significant risk for Toxic Shock if you clean it properly before using and use it correctly.

and told my friend this and she said there IS no TSS anymore. i was like ._.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:58 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I really, really wanted to like the cup. I bought one probably four years ago, and gave it a go for about 4 months. It was totally unpleasant to insert and remove (at first I was using the c-fold, then the punch-down-fold) and I could never get it to seal properly except for a few times (though it was very exciting when it happened!) I tried again 2 years ago with a new cup (still a diva cup,) and had the same issues.

I love the idea of the cup, I want it to work for me, and partially I wonder if a different variety of cup might work better. But I'm afraid the fundamental problem is that I really dislike the feeling of regularly inserting things/removing things from my vagina.

Oh, menstruation.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:20 am 
Bathes in Braggs

fruition wrote:
I really, really wanted to like the cup. I bought one probably four years ago, and gave it a go for about 4 months. It was totally unpleasant to insert and remove (at first I was using the c-fold, then the punch-down-fold) and I could never get it to seal properly except for a few times (though it was very exciting when it happened!) I tried again 2 years ago with a new cup (still a diva cup,) and had the same issues.

I love the idea of the cup, I want it to work for me, and partially I wonder if a different variety of cup might work better. But I'm afraid the fundamental problem is that I really dislike the feeling of regularly inserting things/removing things from my vagina.

Oh, menstruation.

Aw, sorry the DivaCup didn't work out for you. My best friend doesn't want anything to go into her vag besides "worthy penis", so she uses pads.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:39 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

koti wrote:
I've been thinking about getting one of these for my teenage daughter... just not quite sure how she will react to it.

Does it have toxic shock risks like tampons do? I've read the site and didn't see them but maybe I missed it.

I've converted pretty much all of my female cousins to cups, two of them were teenagers at the time (well, and still are) and all of them totally love them!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:06 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I got a DivaCup a year ago and I love it. Changed my life. So much easier and more comfortable than tampons in my opinion.

BUT: SADNESS--it died on me a month ago.

Basically, it always used to come out smelling like fresh delicious lady bits. Then one day I took it out and it smelled foul. I checked to make sure I wasn't the source of the smell, but no, it really was the cup. The smell wouldn't go away, even after I washed it very thoroughly. U

pon closer inspection I noticed some unevenness in the surface that must have been damage to the silicone. I think bacteria lodged there and made it smell. No idea how the damage happened. I followed all the manufacturer instructions for how to treat it. (Except that I initially used Dr. Bronner's to wash it, before finding out that was WRONG, but that was so long ago I don't think it could have caused the present problem.)

Anyone else have this happen?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:49 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Nope... Mine is still workin' fine after 2 years and counting. I wonder if it's got anything to do with the water you've got? I don't know... I'd assume how hard/soft the water is might have something to do with how the cup holds up. But I am just guessing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:55 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Kitteh wrote:
appifanie wrote:
Rubella wrote:
I'm excited to finally be able to join in one of these threads! This girl at work convinced me to buy one after everything moved around and I couldn't find the tampons. I'm still getting used to it a bit but overall I like it a lot! I haven't boiled mine yet (I've used it for 2 cycles) because I don't have an extra pot and don't really want to use the one I cook food in for it. Couldn't I theoretically dump a kettle full of boiling water into my bathroom sink while it's plugged?

I bought mine it's own special pot at the used stuff store for like $1 and I've only boiled it a few times in the one year plus. Generally I just wash it in soap and water.

I have a small saucepan from Ikea, I boil it at the end of my period. During my period I was it with hot water and soap.

Also I have a LadyCup and it was such a good idea to start using one and ditch tampons. I also made some cloth pads.

in the old thread i asked about boiling it because i have a special pot for mine, too that i keep in the bathroom (don't use it every month though) and everyone said i was crazy. most people said they just used a regular kitchen pot, but there's no way i'd feel comfortable doing that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:58 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I want to like my Diva Cup, but I am not having a good experience with it. I followed the directions, but it hurts to try and take it out. I push and break the seal so it will come out easier, but it still hurts. The suction is like I have a supervacuum in my vagina. What am I doing wrong?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:00 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

fatcat wrote:
I want to like my Diva Cup, but I am not having a good experience with it. I followed the directions, but it hurts to try and take it out. I push and break the seal so it will come out easier, but it still hurts. The suction is like I have a supervacuum in my vagina. What am I doing wrong?

You might want to try a softer cup like the LadyCup. It's easier to get in and out by far. I love mine!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:29 am 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

i've found that there are some months when my vagina just leaks, whether there's a divacup in it or not. i think i have a tipped uterus (do people get that confirmed/diagnosed? i mean, what's the difference - it's not like i'm getting that shiitake straightened out!) and no matter which way i insert, what fold i use, how aggressive i am with trying to create suction, i can expect to be leaky at some point. i have a pretty heavy second day, but it's hard to believe that i'm bleeding that much more than is typical.

anyway, i just slap a strange and violent cloth pad in my underpants and deal with it. even with the almost-reliable leakiness, i've been pretty happy with my decision to switch to a cup a few years ago.

maybe i'll try out some new folds, see if that helps.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:12 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

calcuhater wrote:
i've found that there are some months when my vagina just leaks, whether there's a divacup in it or not. i think i have a tipped uterus (do people get that confirmed/diagnosed? i mean, what's the difference - it's not like i'm getting that shiitake straightened out!) and no matter which way i insert, what fold i use, how aggressive i am with trying to create suction, i can expect to be leaky at some point. i have a pretty heavy second day, but it's hard to believe that i'm bleeding that much more than is typical.

anyway, i just slap a strange and violent cloth pad in my underpants and deal with it. even with the almost-reliable leakiness, i've been pretty happy with my decision to switch to a cup a few years ago.

maybe i'll try out some new folds, see if that helps.

i am always a tiny bit leaky too, but even with the most extreme tampons I always leaked a bit. My period is really heavy, so it really doesn't bother me. I'm not sure if it's that i don't have it in right or what, but since i've never had a period where i didn't have to wear a pad or pantaloon liner with whatever else I'm fine with it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:03 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I'm toying with the idea of getting one, after ridiculing them as 'crazy hippy shiitake' for years. I'm yet to see how my coil works out first though!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:26 pm 

abbierae wrote:
Regarding hydrogen peroxide and DivaCups:

Yes, the directions say to not use hydrogen peroxide. BUT. I have had my mine for five years, and when it's not in my goldmine, it's sitting in a 50/50 solution of hydrogen peroxide and water. And it works and looks the same as it did the day I got it. Clean your menstrual cup whatever way you want to, but I am not buying that peroxide will damage it in any real way.

joyfulgirl wrote:

Yeah, I don't listen to any of their rules anymore. Not since they started saying you have to replace the cup every year and only clean it with divawash. I have used hydrogen peroxide and I have also used rubbing alcohol. Both worked well and neither affected the cup at all.

Yeah, I have a Lunette, a Lady Cup, and a MoonCup US (that I got for free!), and I soak them all in a solution of water and peroxide. I've been doing this for about 4 or 5 years now, and I have not noticed any change. They look like new and work like a charm! I LOOOOOOOVE my cups!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:15 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I've heard so many awesome things about the DivaCup, I'm really tempted to try it. I'm just unsure because I live in a residence, where there is only a common, gender neutral washroom. Not sure about the whole changing and cleaning it thing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:28 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

waxwolf wrote:
I <3 my Diva Cup. This is where it lives:

(Ah knitted it!)

I have pretty much the exact same thing except pink, esme made it for me because she's the best! Or she made it because I misplaced my diva cup and was bisqueing about it, and it's a lot easier to find something when it's in a pink knitted octopus.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:42 am 

VeganMeredith wrote:
I've heard so many awesome things about the DivaCup, I'm really tempted to try it. I'm just unsure because I live in a residence, where there is only a common, gender neutral washroom. Not sure about the whole changing and cleaning it thing.

I can see why you might be worried, but you can empty the cup into the toilet when you are in the stall, wipe out with TP, and re-insert. And if you would like to go the extra mile, I know of some women who keep a spray bottle of water in their purse or just wet a paper towel at the sink before entering the stall to really clean it out before re-insertion. You don't need to be near a private sink or in a private bathroom to use a menstrual cup :-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:42 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

i filled mine up in a little under two hours yesterday. heavy flow y'all.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:59 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

theppkate wrote:
VeganMeredith wrote:

I can see why you might be worried, but you can empty the cup into the toilet when you are in the stall, wipe out with TP, and re-insert. And if you would like to go the extra mile, I know of some women who keep a spray bottle of water in their purse or just wet a paper towel at the sink before entering the stall to really clean it out before re-insertion. You don't need to be near a private sink or in a private bathroom to use a menstrual cup :-)

Thanks for the tips! I'm seriously considering getting one now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:26 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Has anyone ever worn the DivaCup during an intense workout? Does it leak?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next