| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: PSA: Please stop and think
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:25 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Dr. Horrible, thank you for saying what you did. I too am an alcoholic. I relate to your story. I apologize for my post if it was worded poorly. I wrote that really without thinking about how it might be interpreted. I definitely didn't intend to make anyone feel guilty or to "threaten" anyone with sad parents. Sorry, I'll try to work on that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:32 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Crust wrote:
Dr. Horrible, thank you for saying what you did. I too am an alcoholic. I relate to your story. I apologize for my post if it was worded poorly. I wrote that really without thinking about how it might be interpreted. I definitely didn't intend to make anyone feel guilty or to "threaten" anyone with sad parents. Sorry, I'll try to work on that.

Nonono! That's not what I intended at all. Your post was very powerful and emotional and I think it was very right for you to share your story and try to make a point. You didn't do anything wrong!

So don't apologise. I'm impressed that you dared to share the story of your friend, even before I knew you yourself had addiction troubles. I know how hard it is. You didn't make me feel guilty or threaten me in any way. I tried very hard to make that point in my own post but I know it's easy to interpret things your own way when you're sensitive (sensitivity is a good thing in my book, by the way). I think people are talking about me in a bad way all the time, thinking they hate me or that I said something wrong.

You said nothing wrong!! I promise you!

If anything, I just wanted to share my story so that maybe YOU would feel less guilty about the death of your friend. I'm so sorry if it came off as me saying you're doing something wrong. You're doing great things. You're sharing a story of pain. That's hard and you did it anyway. I applaud you for that. I don't want you to feel bad. I want you to feel better. I so, so, want you to feel better. IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:38 pm 
Be afraid... be very afraid

Dr. Horrible wrote:
I'm an alcoholic. I try to get sober and it's hard. I'm drinking right now, after four is to stop and think. Encourage them to do things, but don't force them. If you've ever been forced to do something, you know that that just makes you feel like you want to reject it without even knowing what it is.

Good luck to everyone, and I'm so sorry if I offended anyone. I'm just trying to share my perspective.

Again, I'm so sorry for your loss. So, so sorry.

Do it for you. Because you can be great - you are great - and you know it. This knowledge is scary. The disease feeds on this fear. Magnifies it. Makes drinking easy because it's exhausting to that argument between the disease and not drinking in your head all the time But the disease is a liar. The truth is in you. Be great for you. You deserve it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:35 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Recovery IS possible! I hope everyone gets the help they need. And crust, I am so sorry for your loss.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:49 am 
Semen Strong

Crust, I am really sorry for your loss. I think like most of us, I've lost people to drugs and alcohol, and it is frustrating, because it seems so senseless. I went to NA and got counseling when I was 18 because I was dealing with the fact that my partner at the time started using and went off the rails, and it really provided some perspective for me that helped me move on from feeling guilty. I don't know if you're in a recovery program already, but perhaps it would make sense to try NA for some additional support.

And Dr. Horrible, thank you for sharing your story and perspective. I hope you are getting some support (maybe check out an AA meeting if you can), because it is really difficult to deal with addiction and its shame alone, and that you can take your own advice (said with a smile, and compassion :)) and work to focus on positive things that you could be doing instead of getting sucked into negative thought patterns. Recovery is a day at a time process, and the first days are so hard, so please be gentle with yourself. <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:52 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I'm so, so sorry Crust. I recently lost a friend and it hurts like hell.

I think "stop and think" can mean more than just stop using. It can also mean thinking about ways to keep as safe as possible- here's a link to some basic OD prevention tips: http://www.aadac.com/87_1655.asp

Much love- please know you're in my thoughts.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:11 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I'm so sorry for your loss, crust.