| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: No one's resurrected a DivaCup thread, yet?
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:29 am 
Tofu Pup

After using The Keeper for the last 10 years, I had to toss it because it was done for. As of yesterday, I'm the proud owner of a Diva Cup and so far, so good! I think I like it much better than the Keeper. It just seems a lot more comfortable.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:35 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Nearly left my cup in the shower today. That would have prompted an interesting discussion if anyone had seen it and wondered what it was. And I suppose it would be good to talk about it so they know they have the option of getting one, but them having seen mine, which has been inside me, and knowing what it is...
I'm far too repressed about stuff.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:41 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

GreenDuck wrote:
Nearly left my cup in the shower today. That would have prompted an interesting discussion if anyone had seen it and wondered what it was. And I suppose it would be good to talk about it so they know they have the option of getting one, but them having seen mine, which has been inside me, and knowing what it is...
I'm far too repressed about stuff.

I leave mine out in the bathroom to dry after cleaning it at the end of my period. I only have one female roommate, but her boyfriend is over some and I've had friends stay over. Nobody has asked about it, they may or may not know what it is. I don't worry about it.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:36 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

my diva has been leaking more lately - it's about 2 years old i think - how do i know if i should replace it?

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:47 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I'm using my diva cup for the first time this month. So far so good. no problem getting it in, still a bit tricky getting it out. I must have a high cervix or something because it is quite a reach to grab it - sorry tmi. The other thing I'm not used to is gauging how heavy/light my period is (for charting purposes). Sorry if I missed this somewhere along the thread, but is there an estimate for how much a tampon holds versus how full a divacup is? I know I'll get used to gauging the variances month to month as I use it more, but just curious.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:43 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Something that might help you grab the cup a little easier is to strain like you're going to poo, it helps move the cup down.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:50 pm 

I finally bought a Diva Cup today! My mom wants to show it to my father to see if he is okay with it, and also to my older sister (which is laughable, because this is the same girl who couldn't say the words pads or tampons until she was twenty). If not, she said she'd return it. I didn't notice until we were in the car that it said it was non-returnable on the side (makes total sense). So, I guess I'm keeping it?

I can't wait to try it out, my period calender says my period should be in a few days.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:17 am 
Ninja Master

I'm tempted to try buying the smaller one and see if that's any better. I bought the bigger one because I'm over 30 but it's really quite painful to remove it so I had to stop using it.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:18 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Baps, age is just a number. However, that being said, I usually have to pinch mine in a bit to get it out without it hurting. I actually even sort of C-Fold it while in there to get it out usually. Ends up being messy, but it's out and that's all I usually care about. (Unless I'm somewhere public.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:23 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

baps wrote:
I'm tempted to try buying the smaller one and see if that's any better. I bought the bigger one because I'm over 30 but it's really quite painful to remove it so I had to stop using it.

i did the same thing at first--bought the large divacup because of my age. it sucked. i ended up with the small mooncup UK instead, and it's perfect.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:51 pm 

A page or two ago, I expressed some concern over the use of the DivaCup because of my virginity. I did a little research and found this: http://menstrual-cups.livejournal.com/1243131.html Did anyone know about this community? It's really helpful. They even have an old thread about the four different folds.

I'm posting it here just in case some other virgins are lurking (unlikely, I think I'm the youngest on the boards, right now) and curious, or if anyone wants their daughters to use a cup eventually.

Now I just have to figure out the hymen part.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:50 am 
Ninja Master

Thanks guys, I think I'll try a smaller one. It's fine going in, it's just removing it that gets painful after a couple of goes.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:53 pm 

my new midwife has never heard of menstrual cups. whaaat?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:36 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Niev wrote:
A page or two ago, I expressed some concern over the use of the DivaCup because of my virginity. I did a little research and found this: http://menstrual-cups.livejournal.com/1243131.html Did anyone know about this community? It's really helpful. They even have an old thread about the four different folds.

I'm posting it here just in case some other virgins are lurking (unlikely, I think I'm the youngest on the boards, right now) and curious, or if anyone wants their daughters to use a cup eventually.

Or, it might not be anything to worry about, at all. Hymens often tear (partially or completely) just through physical activity--it's possible to have no hymen left (especially if you're athletic) before you have sex for the first time. Sex isn't the only way to "break" it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:16 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

allychristine wrote:
It's the best! I've always been 100% comfortable changing it in the shower, but haven't fully gotten there out of the shower. I tried the other day (during my heaviest days), and I had one of those crime scene moments. I have a hard time taking it out cleanly when it's full/semi full. I try to keep it upright and steady, but it seems to shoot out anyway ?

I am sorry, I did have to giggle at "crime scene moments"...I had one of those...on a yoga retreat only with a forkin' super tampon. It was pretty freaky. Gonna try the Diva on my next cycle though. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:47 pm 

This is my third or fourth cycle using the cup, and it's suddenly started leaking, especially when I sleep! It's not overflowing, there's plenty of room left. This is perplexing. I haven't really changed anything about how I'm using it.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:06 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

tinglepants! wrote:
Niev wrote:

Or, it might not be anything to worry about, at all. Hymens often tear (partially or completely) just through physical activity--it's possible to have no hymen left (especially if you're athletic) before you have sex for the first time. Sex isn't the only way to "break" it.

Yep. Mine was gone a full decade before I started having sex. Also, hymens and virginity have nothing at all to do with one another.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:33 pm 
Inflexitarian

I don't know if this has been talked about before, but I came up with a way to change my divacup with minimal mess. I sit on the toilet, and put two pieces of toilet paper in my lap. I take it out and flip it upside down right away to empty it, then transfer it to the first piece of toilet paper, then I use the other piece and basically stuff it in my labia (sounds lovely, right?) so that I can waddle over to the sink to rinse the cup without having blood drip down my legs.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:54 pm 

j-dub wrote:
tinglepants! wrote:
Niev wrote:

Yep. Mine was gone a full decade before I started quietly playing chess. Also, hymens and virginity have nothing at all to do with one another.

I know that hymens and virginity don't always go together. I mentioned virginity because my vagina is not used to stretching to accommodate foreign objects. I just used a tampon for the first time (technically second, I guess) last cycle, and I'm still a little worried. And I'm fairly sure my hymen is still intact, despite spending my entire life as an athlete.

I had to tell my dad about the cup, he thinks it's dangerous and won't let me use it (it's my body!). Now, I have to go to a gyno and ask their opinion. The car ride there is going to be super uncomfortable.

Edited because I am inattentive.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:21 pm 

poor keenie, what a pain! my sink is right next to my toilet, unless i use my other bathroom.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:01 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

kilgore trout wrote:
This is my third or fourth cycle using the cup, and it's suddenly started leaking, especially when I sleep! It's not overflowing, there's plenty of room left. This is perplexing. I haven't really changed anything about how I'm using it.

are you fairly confident that it's inserted properly? in other words, that it's opened fully and all that good stuff?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:04 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Niev wrote:
I had to tell my dad about the cup, he thinks it's dangerous and won't let me use it (it's my body!). Now, I have to go to a gyno and ask their opinion. The car ride there is going to be super uncomfortable.

Niev, i'm really sorry that your parents are making this so uncomfortable/difficult for you. why does your dad think it's dangerous?

would they be open to reading some information about menstrual cups online, to learn more and maybe set their minds at ease? since they clearly don't know anything about them, i am frustrated on your behalf that they seem to have such a strong opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:27 pm 

bluedawg wrote:
Niev wrote:

Niev, i'm really sorry that your parents are making this so uncomfortable/difficult for you. why does your dad think it's dangerous?

would they be open to reading some information about menstrual cups online, to learn more and maybe set their minds at ease? since they clearly don't know anything about them, i am frustrated on your behalf that they seem to have such a strong opinion.

I think he believes it's dangerous because it's not something he's heard of. It basically keeps the blood inside of you, and that's really foreign to him.

I printed out some research for my mom because she asked, and I think she showed it to my dad. Still, they aren't internet people and are very wary. It had basic info (lowered risk of TSS, more hygienic, cheaper, concerns about endometriosis, etc) that I thought was convincing. It didn't help very much.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:41 pm 

bluedawg wrote:
kilgore trout wrote:

are you fairly confident that it's inserted properly? in other words, that it's opened fully and all that good stuff?

I *think* so. I just tried it again (used tampons for a day because I was sick of running to check on my cup every five seconds) and double-checked, it seems to have opened normally. Fingers crossed, I guess.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:29 pm 

good luck niev! i just had a midwife who hadn't heard of one, so i hope your gyno is smarter than this lady! :)

also, mine is about 2 1/2 and i'm considering replacing it and maybe one of the alternatives - mooncup or keeper or whatever. i feel like it leaks more than it ever did before.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 18  Next