| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HELP! Need quick easy meal ideas for post heart attack
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:40 pm 
Tofu Pup

My wife just got out of the hospital after suffering a heart attack. During this recovery time at home I am very busy helping my wife and two fur babies (senior chihuahua's) with health problems of there own. I need some ideas of really really really quick meals to for us to eat. For example I already plan to have cereal and quick to make sandwiches but I don't have time to make 30 to 45 minute meal. I am also new to cooking and the limit of my vegan cooking recipes are different variants of your tofu scramble. So any ideas of what I can make in 15 minutes or less would be sooooo cool.

My wife's heart attack was not due to blockage (because she is vegan and exercises) it was do to the smaller blood vessels in the heart spasming and causing her heart to weaken.

Thanks,
John

Post subject: Re: HELP! Need quick easy meal ideas for post heart attack
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:13 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I'm so sorry to hear about your wife.

Spaghetti with tomato sauce is really easy. You can add seitan or soy crumbles or tvp if you want some more protein. Tacos with canned refried beans and some quickly sauteed bell peppers and onions are also really easy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:17 pm 
Santa is a WELFARIST!

If she likes mexican it's easy to sautee up some veggies, add beans and throw it in a tortilla with salsa and guacamole!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:28 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I'm sorry about your wife!

Stir-fries are always simple and quick. You could whip up a stir-fry with veggies and beans/tofu, while cooking some kind of grain on the side and you have a full meal.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:31 pm 
Tofu Pup

Awesome great ideas! Actually stuff we have done before but totally forgot because of the overwhelming experience we are going through and can't think clearly.

Again thank you so much you do not know how much this helps!!!!

Thanks,
John

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:30 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Corn cakes/fritters are one of my go to 'quick' recipes, that are made and cooked in about 15 minutes. Also I always have some frozen dumplings on hand so that I can just steam them, some veggies and maybe make some miso soup. Another one of my quick faves is just cooking up some soba noodles, and cooking some broccoli, garlic, chili flakes and salt and pepper up, adding some cherry tomatoes and butter beans and cooking a few mins, then mixing into the noodles and coating with balsamic. Simple and yummy!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:56 pm 
Nailed to the V

I'm sorry to hear about your wife. I wish her a speedy recovery.

My suggestion is something that I often overlook: salad. Chop up some veggies, add beans or pre-seasoned tofu for heft and add homemade or bottled dressing. Serve with bread or crackers if you need a grain. Easy, complete meal.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:13 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Sorry about your wife. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

There are lots of good veggie chili recipes on Vegweb. You can make big batches and freeze the leftovers for future quick meals.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:25 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I wish your wife a speedy recovery!

Tacos are quick and easy, and you can vary the fillings (mushrooms, beans, different veggies both raw and steamed/sauteed, guacs, salsas, tofu/tempeh/seitan) to keep them interesting. When we are really pressed for time, we try to find Amy's no-cheese pizzas on sale and then load them up with a lot of extra toppings: tempeh, artichoke hearts, spinach, banana peppers...whatever you like.

My go-to easy/cheap meal is baked potatoes with lots of accompaniments. I do them in the oven so it takes a long time for them to bake, but if you have a microwave you can do it that way. The options for toppings are endless! Chili, hummus, steamed broccoli, nooch sauce, crumbled tempeh, really anything. Our usual (no time!) meal is baked potatoes with earth balance, sauteed tempeh crumbles with garlic and chilies, and a side of steamed broccoli or arugula tossed with a light vinaigrette. Sometimes we add roasted chickpeas, which are super easy and delicious.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:51 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Buy this NOW: http://www.amazon.com/Prevent-Reverse-H ... 120&sr=8-1

One of the easiest things I do is make couscous, add chopped veggies (tomato, cucumber, green onion parsley), lemon juice and serve on a bed of greens. Put a couple lemon wedges (and hot sauce!) on the side to bump up the flavor.

Lots of whole foods are essential: LOTS of fresh fruit and veggies. Fill up on bananas and berries rather than chips and processed junk.