| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Too Early to Complain About Family?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:45 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Because mine is getting on my nerves right now. Both of my parents tend to go through these phases where they want to make me and my siblings the go between. I'm really forking fed up with it. It feels like they are trying to extend the shitty childhood I had into adulthood.

The latest is that my dad sent an email about how he's trying to mend things with my mom since the divorce and she's no longer responding. What's more infuriating is that I told them two years ago that I'm going to ignore anything said to me about the other parent.

Now my brother is trying to guilt me into calling my dad because "Nobody ever calls him." bullshiitake. I sent an email to everybody two weeks ago. Also, the phone works two ways. Also, there's not much to say besides my usual "I hate it here, and I still can't get a job."

So...anybody else have to deal with parents not respecting your boundaries? Also, thanks for letting me vent.

Post subject: Re: Too Early to Complain About Family?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:50 pm 
Spent a summer in Brisbane, hated it

It's not too early as long as it's not too early to complain about the in-laws. :lol:

I'm sorry Mo that you're having such a problem with your family.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:51 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I hear ya. My mom makes me listen to her bisque about my dad not sending her money, and about my brother who I don't even talk to. yeah, my family is forked up.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:53 pm 
Semen Strong

Definitely not! Sorry Mo.

My Dad only calls me when he wants to complain about my stepmother. And then I get upset for him and stew in it for weeks, while he goes ahead and makes up with her (and never tells me about it). So now I no longer allow him to talk about it and he just doesn't call any more. It sucks being the go-between or the sounding board, because in both cases, you're absorbing the crepe and preventing them from actually communicating with one another.

So I feel your pain, and I am sorry you're frustrated by it. You're definitely not alone.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:53 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Is it ever to early to complain about family?

Not parents, but my sister thinks boundaries are only for states. I had extremely limit my contact with her. It really did help me feel like I could work on my relationships with the people who could respect me.

All you can do is stand your ground and keep repeating your rules. Hang in there.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:01 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I don't think it's too early to complain about family. Too bad your parents haven't realized you're not going to respond when they ask you about the other parent. I think it seems pretty clear that you don't want to get involved with that mess.

I can't really relate to what you're going through, since my dad's got 6 other kids to worry about besides me. When he does want to talk to me, I usually, yet unintentionally freak him out about vegan stuff or ultra political things...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:03 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

The Evil One wrote:
It's not too early as long as it's not too early to complain about the in-laws.

I absolutely adore my in-laws! They are really nice people and very accepting and loving. So I lucked out I guess.

My family is okay most of the time and I love them dearly. They just know how to push buttons that nobody else can push. Isn't that always the way? Haha.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:06 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

It's never too early.

I feel like my mom just calls to unload all of her crepe on me, and doesn't care about how stressful my life is. I usually do chores when I'm on the phone with her because it's a one way conversation, anyway. If I actually listened, it would just be an emotional drag.

Your parents definitely shouldn't put you in the middle. They should do what any respectable divorced couple does, and pretend the other doesn't exist.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:20 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

designedtobekind wrote:
It's never too early.

I feel like my mom just calls to unload all of her crepe on me, and doesn't care about how stressful my life is. I usually do chores when I'm on the phone with her because it's a one way conversation, anyway. If I actually listened, it would just be an emotional drag.

Your parents definitely shouldn't put you in the middle. They should do what any respectable divorced couple does, and pretend the other doesn't exist.

Ha! I think we have the same mother!

Mine does care though, she just doesn't draw breath long enough to think about it too much, she's surrounded with so much stress herself, bless her.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:21 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

In-laws.. oy.

Cruelty Free Face
Morrissey Hates Murder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:25 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

My parents actually try to put me in the middle of their crepe with my sister. It makes me nuts because it's so inappropriate and I tell them so all the time. Sorry Mo! Vent away!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:33 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

It's never too early. My problem with my family at the moment is more to do with my aunt (my father's side of the family) - she's such a meddler and is super-nosey. She tried to guilt my mother into forcing me to come along to an upcoming family reunion. She actually said "just force her to come", and then decided to bring her husband into it - apparently he thinks I should come too. Like I give a fork.

Oh yeah, my sister. I love her dearly, but she has an annoying tendency to be a complete bitchface sometimes. Ask her a question as simple as, "how was your day today?" at the wrong moment, and she'll throw a tantrum.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:34 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

It's very disheartening to see one's parents act like immature and petty people, especially when you are old enough to understand it. I'm sorry to hear that your parents are trying to force you into being their messenger. For a long time, my parents did that with me and my brother, but we were too young to grasp the mind games and passive aggressive behavior. Once I realized what was up, I let the two of them know, and hard. Tell them to cut the shiitake and approach each other civilly. You've got enough on your plate to eat from someone else's.

Unless you're still hungry. If then, by all means, please eat if your still hungry.

((hugs))

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:59 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I hear you Mo. I am sorry they do that!! Hugs!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:06 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I seriously want an in-laws support group. Of the non-public fashion, cause...you never know.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:26 pm 
Be afraid... be very afraid

HUGS!!!! Family can be so stressful, as if life isn't complicated enough.

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I seriously want an in-laws support group. Of the non-public fashion, cause...you never know.

I'm in!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:35 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'll take my in-laws over my own family any day of the week.

Sorry for family issues to everyone who has them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:41 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

mrsbadmouth wrote:

this! please.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:22 pm 
protein lump

i complained about this on twitter, but i'll throw it in here as well.

my mom is super pissed that i am spending thanksgiving with michael's family instead of at home. i also told her that i wanted to stay home (in NJ) for christmas because my dad and stepmom are home this year (her family is from kentucky and they alternate which years they are at home vs. which years they are there - this year it's a thanksgiving in KY, christmas in NJ year - last year it was swapped). she sat in the living room and cried for an hour about it. what the fizzle? and she's now mad because "she has no choice" and has to stay home for christmas instead of visiting my grandmother. i told her she was welcome to do whatever she wanted but i was staying home. jesus.

and then she brought up how i have NEVER spent a holiday at home with family. which just isn't true. my ex and i used to split holidays into mornings with my family/dinners with his family. as in, christmas morning my parents would come over for breakfast/brunch and gift opening then we would go over to his family's house for christmas dinner. she would complain EVERY.EFFING.YEAR because i wasn't spending the entire day with her. i wouldn't have done that anyway because she drives me nuts!

ok, enough ranting.

now i'm all angry and stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:52 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Sorry mo, I don't think it is to early if they are driving you nuts. Hugs to everyone in fact putting up with such crepe. I think I lucked out or am just oblivious to things.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:16 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Heh, I was just wondering the same thing!

I'm sorry! I don't know when your parents divorced, but if you were an adult when they made the decision, I feel your pain.

My only advice is to actually go through on your threat and ignore it. Easier said than done, I know. I'm still trying to figured out a way to deal with family making lamesauce comments about either parent. It's inappropriate and awkward and a hard situation for everyone. For a society so used to divorce, you'd think we would all know how to respond to each other when dealing with it.

It's hard!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:16 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

geekywhitegirljoan wrote:
My parents actually try to put me in the middle of their crepe with my sister. It makes me nuts because it's so inappropriate and I tell them so all the time. Sorry Mo! Vent away!

Oh yeah, it's currently my job to save my pot head jobless brother because it's my fault he ended up this way.. I got bad grades and had a shaved head in 1997 after all.

Cruelty Free Face
Morrissey Hates Murder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:36 pm 
Kale Wreath

Aw, I have no advice but I'm sorry you're going through this!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:11 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this mess!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:54 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Thanks everybody for the stories and kind words. This thread was making me feel better until I got another email from my dad.

Also, I wanted to say that I am ignoring the things he's saying about my mother and won't address them at all. He just sent me an email saying the following:

1. He never asked my brother to contact me.
2. It's my job as a child to contact him, not the other way around (this from a man who spent 27 years dodging his mother's phone calls)
3. Basically, I need to get over what happened in my childhood and move on. (I don't even know why he brought that up)
4. The last part was him talking about my mom, so I just ignored it.

I'm so forking frustrated right now! It's ridiculous that I am made to feel crappy when I didn't do anything wrong. Now I've got to send back an email and try to control my emotions so I don't feel more stressed than I already do. I seriously feel like curling up into a ball and crying myself to sleep.

ETA: I just emailed him and it actually helped a lot.