| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:07 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

jojo wrote:
And tell me where to buy bacon bits?

Those burgers are delicious!
There is a recipe in the book for bacon bits. My favorite though is the coconut bacon bits from American Vegan Kitchen, if you have that.
Also, I think Isa has a recipe on her blog for a bbq recipe, if you can't find any.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:08 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

no idea about the BBQ sauce, but as far as bacon bits go I am pretty sure you can buy them in the same aisle as the salad dressings. That's where they used to go when I stacked shelves in a supermarket!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:43 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I get my bacon bits in Home Bargains, but you could always make the version in the book. I used to get Baco's from Morrisons but haven't seen them for a while. I've got the HP BBQ sauce at the moment, it's fine in things.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:47 am 
WRETCHED

I got up this morning and my cookbook is on the counter, open to a page showing a burger and I wasn't the one that did it. I think my husband is suggesting our next burger.

I made the jalapeño cornbread burgers. Sadly my jalapeños were mild so not much kick but still a good burger.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:04 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

EFCLiz, I've never heard of Home Bargains...I'll be adding it to my list of reasons to move to Stoke!

I'll have a look for BBQ sauce & bacon bits next time I go to the supermarket, if I don't find any I'll make my own.

I made the Super Quinoa Burgers for dinner today & they were SO good. I subbed edamame for the peas because for the first time ever my freezer didn't have frozen peas in it but aside from that I had all of the ingredients in the house.

Not-For-Profit Cupcakes: Operation Icing.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:56 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

I have just enough vegan sour cream left for one burger recipe. Which to choose?! Pizza burgers, Jalapeno Cheddar burgers, Travis Loves Cilantro Burgers, Enchilada burgers? I can't decide...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:27 pm 
Saggy Butt

So excited to see this in a UK bookshop today! There are NEVER good vegan cookbooks in bookshops over here. The vegan love is spreading...Also it looks incredible :) Definitely going to get this one (although from Amazon since it's cheaper!)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:02 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I just made the chicken salad. So good, though a little too much mayo for me, so I upped the carrots, raisins, and walnuts. This was just perfect, just like I remember.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:46 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I made the noochy burgers today and ate one for lunch. It was delicious and like all of the recipes I've tried so far, the burgers hold together really well. I couldn't bring myself to use the full amount of cashew butter, so I reduced it to 2 tablespoons and added a little water to the burger mix to keep it moist. Next time I might try reducing the tahini also. The burgers taste great but are very high in fat even if you choose to bake them.

bird noises | book of faces

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:43 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

We are having the creamy BBQ coleslaw and the pulled pork sammy for dinner tonight! I keep sneaking bites of the coleslaw...YUM!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:25 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Geanie wrote:
We are having the creamy BBQ coleslaw and the pulled pork sammy for dinner tonight! I keep sneaking bites of the coleslaw...YUM!

This was very tasty. Both items had a great flavor.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the falafel burgers last night, but I had to add a LOT more flour- like two cups. And they were still super sticky. I was pretty worried about them, but they came out well in the end. We had them on Turkish bread with tabbouleh, hummus and grilled eggplant. I just need to learn to make them flatter so I can actually fit the burger in my mouth (this is an ongoing problem of mine).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:45 pm 
Totally sane, not interested in bats whatsoever.

I just got this cookbook. Can't wait to buy some tvp and vwg!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:50 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

jojo wrote:
EFCLiz, I've never heard of Home Bargains...I'll be adding it to my list of reasons to move to Stoke!

I'll have a look for BBQ sauce & bacon bits next time I go to the supermarket, if I don't find any I'll make my own.

I made the Super Quinoa Burgers for dinner today & they were SO good. I subbed edamame for the peas because for the first time ever my freezer didn't have frozen peas in it but aside from that I had all of the ingredients in the house.

Let me know, I can always bring you some when I next come down or pop some in the post.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:00 pm 
Tofu Pup

This is a fantastic cookbook. I have made quite a few of the burgers and they were all fantastic. I am eating a sweet potato chipotle burger as I write this.
The Mediterranean Pasta Salad is incredible, the best salad I have ever had.
The Sweet Potato Buns were also fantastic. This is a must have cookbook.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:33 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I just made the 50/50 flatbread and they are so salty that I don't think anyone is going to eat them. I used coarse ground sea salt, so I was actually afraid I wouldn't have enough salt.

They are really small, so I doubled the size. I got the hang of cooking the later ones, but I'm really bummed about the salt. I might try another batch later.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:12 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I made the Vegan Mayonnaise yesterday - HIGHLY recommend. I am very picky about my mayo and this one was delicious. I used safflower oil instead of canola. Other than that, followed the recipe exactly. I don't think I'll ever buy mayo again. I am the least patient person and this took a total of 15 minutes from the time I opened the book to the time I had mayo and everything was cleaned up. This included very quick-pressing the tofu ( I was hungry and wanted mayo on my sandwich quickly ).

random info- I read about quick-pressing tofu in one of Isa's books - VWAV I think. This is probably widely-known but thought I'd pass along my method. You slice the block into slices (I slice a 14 ounce block into 6 slices), wrap each piece in a small dish towel, place on a large plate, lay another towel on top (to prevent your large, heavy book from getting soaked) and cover with the aforementioned large, heavy book. I've done this for as little as 7-8 minutes and haven't noticed any significant issues.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:15 pm 
Nailed to the V

My husband and I have decided that a burger from the USA chapter of this book is the obvious choice for our July 4th meal. The only trouble I'm having is that the USA chapter is huge. Which burger to choose? Suggestions welcome.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:37 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

For lunch yesterday I had a baba ganoush burger in a 50/50 flatbread (which I had spiced up with cumin seeds, parsley and garlic, perfect!) smothered with a dill/basil/garlic sauce I had made with silken tofu. It was so good, I have to make some more of those burgers soon.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:31 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

bcakes wrote:
My husband and I have decided that a burger from the USA chapter of this book is the obvious choice for our July 4th meal. The only trouble I'm having is that the USA chapter is huge. Which burger to choose? Suggestions welcome.

Seconding this question. I'm leaning toward the trifecta burger, but anyone have any better ideas?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:44 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

zwingtip wrote:
bcakes wrote:

Seconding this question. I'm leaning toward the trifecta burger, but anyone have any better ideas?

I really liked the bacon cheeseburgers and the super quinoa burgers (don't know how "4th of July" those are), but I don't think I've tried many from that chapter. Also, from the breakfast chapter the garlicky potato burgers are amazing on the grill.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:31 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

kdub wrote:
I really liked the bacon cheeseburgers and the super quinoa burgers (don't know how "4th of July" those are), but I don't think I've tried many from that chapter. Also, from the breakfast chapter the garlicky potato burgers are amazing on the grill.

The bacon cheeseburgers are a great choice for a 4th of July meal (or any time). I like them grilled and covered with barbecue sauce on a bun.

bird noises | book of faces

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:46 pm 
Nailed to the V

I made the bacon cheeseburgers as recommended. I baked them (since I wasn't sure they would cook properly in a foreman grill). I halfed the oil and added more water to compensate. These were a hit. My husband ate two and then ate my leftovers off my plate while he was cleaning up.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:49 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I ended up making the trifecta since I was sick and it was less work. So much deliciousness.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:55 pm 
Mediocre Tart

I made the tofu egg salad tonight and it is sooooo good (though I probably halved the amount of mayo.) I need to find some tvp granules so I can try some of the actual burgers! Or some bulger, even, it seems. (these things are available here, it's just a bit of a trek for me to get them. I guess that'll be what Sunday is for!)

Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next