| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 596 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Viva Vegan! by Terry Hope Romero
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:00 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yes, I do go on and on about the arepas, but I have now started stuffing them with any thing I can get my hands on. The latest was a portabello "cheese steak" filling. I also cut them all the way open and use them in place of burger buns. They are a big help in the gluten free kitchen of a sandwich lover.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:42 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Yeah, not sure what happened. You baked it for an hour or more at the correct temp? Wrapped in foil, but not too tightly?[/quote]

Wait, what? An hour? I thought it was half-an-hour... I think you may have just solved the problem just there! D'oh!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:19 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I want to make Arroz Con Coco (with mango! I got a box of 12 mangos for like, $2.50 (or $4 something, I don't remember, but either way really cheap!)) but what should I serve with it?? It doesn't need to be fancy. Would it be good with just beans or something? For dinner? Or just with the mango for breakfast?

What should I dooooooo?

I *finally* made some stuff from Viva Vegan on Sunday (I've had this book since late last year). I made refried black beans, yellow garlic rice, and guac. So good! It always takes me a while to try my first recipe from a cookbook, but then I feel like I broke a barrier and can just keep cookin bunches from it.

Formerly rad.badger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I had the arroz con coco with guatita, it was good! I also make the VWAV coconut rice pretty often with jerk seitan and the mango BBQ beans from AFR.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:01 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

frozenveggies wrote:
I want to make Arroz Con Coco (with mango! I got a box of 12 mangos for like, $2.50 (or $4 something, I don't remember, but either way really cheap!)) but what should I serve with it?? It doesn't need to be fancy. Would it be good with just beans or something? For dinner? Or just with the mango for breakfast?

Yeah make it to have for breaky and serve it was some beans and side veggies/greens for dinner - it will be delish!

Last weekend I made the pupusas with black beans, friend said they tasted like burritos - they're great. I served them with chilli tomato sauce & curdito. I made the limeade again and a friend said she *needs* the recipe.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:23 am 
Naked Under Apron

Efcliz wrote:
matwinser wrote:
The Avocado/Palm Heart Ceviche is one of the best things I have ever eaten in my life!

Where did you get your palm hearts????

Sorry, late reply. My Tesco does Green Giant brand canned palm hearts.

Mat.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:31 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I have a ton of parsley in my garden that needed using up so i made the chimichurri tofu last night, and it was really good. I need to start using this book a lot more

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:26 pm 
WELFARIST!

Kitteh wrote:
I made the limeade again and a friend said she *needs* the recipe.

The limeade recipe is one of my favorites. I was grocery shopping earlier today and stocked up on a bunch of fresh limes to make it. Last summer, I constantly kept an old Earth Balance tub of that syrup in the fridge and made it all summer. I foresee the same thing happening this summer, and this weekend's will be my first batch of the season! My sister absolutely adores it, too. When she comes over for a run through the summer, she'll croak "limeade" at me in the elevator on our way up to my apartment post run because that's what she wants a glass of to refresh herself when we get back inside.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:23 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

seitanicverses wrote:
Kitteh wrote:

The limeade recipe is one of my favorites. I was grocery shopping earlier today and stocked up on a bunch of fresh limes to make it. Last summer, I constantly kept an old Earth Balance tub of that syrup in the fridge and made it all summer. I foresee the same thing happening this summer, and this weekend's will be my first batch of the season! My sister absolutely adores it, too. When she comes over for a run through the summer, she'll croak "limeade" at me in the elevator on our way up to my apartment post run because that's what she wants a glass of to refresh herself when we get back inside.

I'm gonna have to make this then! The Latin grocery had limes 10/$1.00, and I bought a bunch without concrete plans. AND I just bought panela! It's a sign!

Formerly rad.badger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:41 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I made the creamy potato soup this week, I should make all the soups while it's winter.

frozenveggies wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:
Kitteh wrote:

I'm gonna have to make this then! The Latin grocery had limes 10/$1.00, and I bought a bunch without concrete plans. AND I just bought panela! It's a sign!

That's a great idea, SV - I'm looking forward to making it all the time during summer!

FV - that is definitely a sign you have to make the limeade.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:00 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I made the pickled red onions and curdito to put on tacos and they are both delicious! They complement each other well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

OMG you guys, I just got this book yesterday. Everything looks soooo good! I think I starred almost every recipe to try.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:12 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I have been getting tired of salads all the time, but am trying to cut down on the carbs, and i LOVE the squash saute. Its really easy, and you can mix up the ingredients, just keep the flavor profile/spices the same.

My version for lunch today was: zuchinni, summer squash, mushrooms, corn, tomato, red and white onions, and double the garlic. I made a huge amount, and it was still really low in calories.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:11 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

We're having friends over for dinner on Friday, I don't know what to make. Well I do, but I want to make a dozen different things which might be too much! I might do tofu chicharones or latin baked tofu for them and sub in mushrooms for me. And then maybe the braised kale or calabacitas and rice as a side. Or if I can get some cassava, the crunchy fried yuca. Or empanadas or tamales or, or, or... I don't know!

lobsteriffic wrote:
OMG you guys, I just got this book yesterday. Everything looks soooo good! I think I starred almost every recipe to try.

We had friends over for lunch and they laughed at all the tags sticking out of my copy!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:28 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I made mini versions of the seitan mushroom empanadas with olives and raisins for a pot luck last night. lots of compliments and gone far too quickly!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:44 pm 
Tofu Pup

If you have trouble with corn tortillas falling apart, you can heat a dry skillet and stick them in there (one at a time, and flipping them once) for a minute or two. The heat makes them a lot more pliable and easier to work with. I always lightly fried them before rolling up but now I'm trying to watch my fat and this works the same way.

I am DYING to get this book!!!!! Ordering it next week when cash flow improves.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:14 am 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

I made the feijoada(minus TVP) and orange rice last night and it was delicious. Can't wait until lunch time when I can eat the leftovers!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:25 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Looks like I'm going to a pot luck at a Hispanic church with my friend on Sunday. Should I dare fix something from VV or should I stick with classic American fare?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:03 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I made the Cuban Black Bean soup with the Cashew Crema. It was delicious, and that crema is probably the best sour creamy like thing I've made so far. I liked it drizzled over the soup... and off of a spoon. I need to hurry up and use the leftovers! Haha. Maybe breakfast tacos this weekend...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:59 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

deearess wrote:
Looks like I'm going to a pot luck at a Hispanic church with my friend on Sunday. Should I dare fix something from VV or should I stick with classic American fare?

Do it!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:21 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

deearess wrote:

I'd make something from VV! for sure.

I had friends over last night, I made tofu and mushroom chicharones (tofu for them, mushies for me) - WOW, I want to eat these every day. I made the calabicitas too, that was great and the green onion salsa and we made tacos with tortillas. Oh and I made the sangria but non-alcoholic.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:17 am 
Nooch of Earl

Chicki wrote:
deearess wrote:

Do it!!!

I vote for the jicama-mango salad. It's really simple and really good, and would be a great summer side for just about any latin meal.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:29 pm 
WELFARIST!

annak wrote:
Chicki wrote:
deearess wrote:

Do it!!!

I vote for the jicama-mango salad. It's really simple and really good, and would be a great summer side for just about any latin meal.

I made this recently for friends who have pretty mainstream and somewhat unadventurous palates and this went over really, really well with them. They really seemed to enjoy it so yeah, I'd say it's a good choice, too.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:43 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'll definitely keep that salad in mind for next time. Everything I was picking out had to be kept hot and since I'm going to the service first, it's easier for me to keep stuff cold in the cooler than to keep stuff hot. So, I'm just taking a 3 bean salad and possibly the everyday balsamic salad from afr. But for dessert I am using VV and making a xgfx version of the chocolate orange spice cake with dulce de batata. I really like it and I've never baked it for my friend. I think it's something he and his parents would really like.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:32 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

deearess wrote:
But for dessert I am using VV and making a xgfx version of the chocolate orange spice cake with dulce de batata.

I came home with an empty plate. The couple pieces left were claimed by someone I don't even know and wrapped up and taken home :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 596 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 24  Next