| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Type 1 Diabetes Rumpus Room
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:13 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

it would be cool if the two ADAs could have different acronyms since they are pretty related and talked about in similar circles!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:19 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Aliks wrote:
claiming a raw vegan diet will cure type 1 diabetes

Wow. It's been a year or two since I looked at what's out there about this. It used to be just one or two websites. It's exploded. A lot of these people are obviously honeymooning. This kind of woo health advice is cruel and dangerous.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:58 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

mollyjade wrote:
Aliks wrote:

Wow. It's been a year or two since I looked at what's out there about this. It used to be just one or two websites. It's exploded. A lot of these people are obviously honeymooning. This kind of woo health advice is cruel and dangerous.

yup! I believe the man from that video does not have type 1 but something like LADA. That's what happened to a guy in this valley. He was a very healthy veggie athlete. He started to lose weight, which he didn't need in the first place. Went to the doctor, was told he has type 2 diabetes. Then he got sicker. Was told he has type 1 diabetes and went on insulin. Then he was later diagnosed with 1.5, which is rare and hard to diagnose. The guy in the video who went raw could have started this at the point where he really didn't need insulin, making it seem like he's "cured".
So people read this crepe, think wow everyone needs to be informed! it's a miracle! insulin is evil! then attack people like me because you know, it's super fun to poke my kid all day! Plus I've been contacted by the people that made the video a year or so ago and it really pissed me off-he asked if I needed help getting vegetables into my son since he probably doesn't eat enough.

This from Steve-O's facebook "I wasn't supposed to give a speech, I was asked to race go-karts. I agreed to do it because the event was pitched to me as being vegan-food only, for the purpose of promoting a plant-based diet as diabetes prevention. I showed up, took photos with everyone who wanted one, then discovered that they were serving meat and left immediately."
Someone forked up-either the ADA or whoever tells him where to show up. I really can't see the ADA telling him to speak about a plant based diet at a race event, which seems like a typical ADA family fun day event. I know from working with them they really shush about diet stuff when it's an event related to kids who have type 1. He was supposed to race go karts with the kids. Also the ADA is awesome at getting everything donated, like food, so they probably just see "free food" and take it, meat or not.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:13 pm 

Aliks wrote:
Plus I've been contacted by the people that made the video a year or so ago and it really pissed me off-he asked if I needed help getting vegetables into my son since he probably doesn't eat enough.

What nerve!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:51 pm 

mollyjade wrote:
Aliks wrote:
Plus I've been contacted by the people that made the video a year or so ago and it really pissed me off-he asked if I needed help getting vegetables into my son since he probably doesn't eat enough.

What nerve!

I know, I had to walk away from my computer when I read my message!
I found the event Steve-O boycotted, he said it was promoted as vegan but see nothing about it http://blog.ticketleap.com/2011/05/02/g ... alifornia/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:06 pm 

My prescription insurance is weird. If I buy syringes or test strips at the same time I buy insulin, I get the strips and syringes free. If I buy them separately, I have to pay for them. It makes no sense at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:59 pm 
Grandfathered In

Huh the wha?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:23 am 

This is an amazing interview with the person living the longest with diabetes. He just turned 90, and he was diagnosed when he was 5. I don't agree with everything he says (food should be enjoyable, too!), but I bet his life philosophy helped him cope with the emotional side of chronic illnesses.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:18 pm 

mollyjade wrote:
This is an amazing interview with the person living the longest with diabetes. He just turned 90, and he was diagnosed when he was 5. I don't agree with everything he says (food should be enjoyable, too!), but I bet his life philosophy helped him cope with the emotional side of chronic illnesses.

awesome! That's amazing since there's hardly anyone that age in my family without diabetes living that long! With the food thing-I know with my late aunt they were heavily focused on it. It was just nourishment for the family, not anything that mattered as far as taste. I read some of her letters and she ate a lot of plain turkey sandwiches, things she knew how she reacted with because they had no meters.
Here's some more cute old people http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxCpQqjLRo8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:36 pm 

I'm actually hitting my 25-year diabetes anniversary sometime this month. I don't know the exact date.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:19 pm 
Grandfathered In

My 19th anniversary is September 29.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:20 pm 
Grandfathered In

And you know what? I AM SICK OF IT!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:08 pm 

sick of it too, and it's only been 4 years for my kid last month. He only had one birthday without it! We've decreased lantus to barely anything because of it being suddenly summer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:33 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

mollyjade wrote:
Aliks wrote:

Can you help with any links disproving this? Another forum I am on has a lot (majority) of people who completely believe anything they read on the internet. There is a current discussion with someone saying raw food will cure diabetes-1. These discussions make me furious because they have absolutely no studies to back it up and just go on what they read somewhere. I don't know enough about it to post any links, but if anyone here has some I would appreciate it.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:28 pm 
Grandfathered In

I know I don't have any links. But to me it's like saying, "A raw food diet will grow your appendix back."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:57 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

wow, that makes no sense! I will try to find a study that says that diabetes is not a disease you can cure.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:10 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Help. They are now referencing a video that must be the one mentioned here about reversing it in 30 days.

ijdi, I'm going to email you a bit of the conversation. I don't want to post here but this stuff is mad.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:02 pm 

The problem with this kind of talk is that it's such a given that type 1 diabetes can't be cured that the major organizations don't even cover it in their FAQs or myth sheets. I'll poke around and see if I can find something.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:09 pm 

Here is the Mayo clinic saying there is no cure for type 1 diabetes.

Here is the NIH talking about research for a cure, which implies that one doesn't exist.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:38 pm 
Grandfathered In

The Mayo clinic fears raw vegetables, so OF COURSE they're withholding this information!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:47 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Thanks. I posted a few things in the discussion and hope to leave it. I had never heard of such claims before.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:21 am 

with the raw for 30 days film, there is a man on there who claims he was diagnosed with type 1 as an adult, which can happen. However, I believe he has LADA or 1.5, http://forecast.diabetes.org/magazine/f ... or-type-15 I know someone who is a vegetarian who was diagnosed with that. He was fairly healthy at diagnosis, an athlete and a vegetarian. He is currently off of insulin, not by a raw diet but just a fact of this beast, it's very confusing. Raw vegans will also quote a book by some guy named Sergei who was "diagnosed" with type 1 as a kid, a very overweight fast food eating family type of kid. Most type 1 kids are underweight since high blood sugars sort of make them peas fat out of their bodies until they are diagnosed or die. So his family changed their lifestyles, he's off of insulin. Cause he was probably type 2-I get this story all the time because this family is local and I want to beat someone in the co-op with my testing supplies when they see me test my son and quote that idiot.
People who don't get type 1 diabetes don't realize we (non-diabetics) make insulin on our own. So when we eat anything with carbs, be a banana or bread kick our bodies will kick out insulin. So they say "this guy needs no insulin or reduced his needs" means nothing to me because my son is just getting his insulin replaced by syringe, and reducing it means he is eating less carbs. Technically he needs less insulin than most type 1's his age/body weight because animal fat tends to spike blood sugars longer, so by cutting that out he doesn't need as much at 11pm when we go "oh shiitake, that cheese pizza he ate two hours ago forked him up here's a shot" like we did 2 years ago. He eats a lot of fruit, we joke if it ends in "berries" it's in his belly, he needs insulin for all of that because it has carbs.
I'm getting nervous because I'm going to a vegan potluck tonight and there's a new member, a raw vegan, and I hope she doesn't say a thing!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:23 am 

oh also, someone contacted me several years ago from that film. you have to go to their resort, pay money, whala you are cured. when i said no effing way, they said something like the doctors don't want your kid to be cured because they make money off of him. well the raw people would make money off of us going to the resort, buying their books/movie, no?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:06 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Hey guys, thanks again for all the info. My quick update is that tonight I demanded that my housemate test himself because he was quite obviously going hypo. He was 1.4 mmol/L (about 25 mg/dl). He was heaps better than when we normally catch him. That's like pretty seriously bad right?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:28 pm 
Grandfathered In

A bg of 25 is REALLY, REALLY LOW!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next