| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Soaked oats! You've been holding out on me!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:02 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Why did no one tell me how delicious soaked oats are!?

I had a little bit of bulk Museli in my pantry earlier this week, and in my ongoing effort to use up little bits of bulk stuff, I poured some milk on it and left it in the fridge for a while and then ate it, and it was DELICIOUS! I thought "Man I gotta go buy more bulk Museli..." but that goes against my cleaning out the pantry directive. Last night before bed I decided to try just oats, so I put 1/2 c of oats in a tupperware, added enough almond milk to cover it, a tbsp of unsweetened coconut, and a small handful of raisins. This morning before leaving for work, I added some cinnamon, a little maple syrup, and about a dozen raw almonds. It was SO DELICIOUS!! The oats were soft, but chewy still. Not gloopy like cooked oatmeal gone cold. This completely solves my summer oatmeal problem! I love oatmeal, but it's too hot in the summer for oatmeal, but not like this! I feel like a whole new world has opened up to me and I had to share it in case I wasn't the only one in the dark about this!

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Soaked oats! You've been holding out on me!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:38 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

It's been a while, but I remember liking soaked oats too. You could try putting the almonds in to soak with the oats too, maybe? I think soaked almonds are much tastier than straight raw ones.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:05 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I've been wanting to do soaked oats for ages! I have no idea why I've never gotten around to it. Oh She Glows has some amazing looking overnight oat recipes that I salivate over.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:20 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I love overnight oats! I usually add dates,raisins,strawberries,bluberries,cinnamon and chia seeds. Someday I will get brave and try chocolate overnight oats!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:31 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

OM NOM NOM! I love overnight oats! I've been eating them several times a week, and the same thing--summertime oatmeal conundrum solved. I usually soak with almond milk, chia seeds, and a banana, then add some more fruit and a little granola and/or nut butter on top. Also love when I remember to put a healthy dose of cinnamon in the mix. I kind of wish I had more oats to eat instead of this gross 'burrito in a bowl' that I bought for lunch.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:03 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i seriously need to try this.. it sounds pretty epic. isn't there something about the oats being easier to digest if they're soaked overnight?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:21 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

kittylover wrote:
I love overnight oats! I usually add dates,raisins,strawberries,bluberries,cinnamon and chia seeds. Someday I will get brave and try chocolate overnight oats!

ndpittman wrote:
OM NOM NOM! I love overnight oats! I've been eating them several times a week, and the same thing--summertime oatmeal conundrum solved. I usually soak with almond milk, chia seeds, and a banana, then add some more fruit and a little granola and/or nut butter on top. Also love when I remember to put a healthy dose of cinnamon in the mix. I kind of wish I had more oats to eat instead of this gross 'burrito in a bowl' that I bought for lunch.

Chia!! Great idea!! I put them in my hot oats, why didn't I think of cold oats? Will it get gummy and strange though if I soak it overnight with chia? Should I just add them in right before I nom down?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:10 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

rabidchild wrote:

Actually, Suprgrrljes did in this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9108&p=237952&sid=46a5fb6b4bea3ac75a6a5bfdb50600e9#p237952

-alice1drland

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:48 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

fetalexplosion wrote:
rabidchild wrote:

Actually, Suprgrrljes did in this thread.

http://www.theppk.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... e9#p237952

Didn't realize there was no cooking involved. I'm generally not smarter than the average bear.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:56 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Overnight oats are one of my favorites! In fact, I think I'll toss some in tonight. I'm usually good with a spoonful of brown sugar and a dash of cinnamon.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:32 pm 

rabidchild wrote:
kittylover wrote:

ndpittman wrote:

Chia!! Great idea!! I put them in my hot oats, why didn't I think of cold oats? Will it get gummy and strange though if I soak it overnight with chia? Should I just add them in right before I nom down?

They are strange, but I don't think in a bad way? They... make the oats more congealed... that doesn't sound appetizing, but I think that it is!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:21 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Bircher is really good too where you soak the oats overnight in apple juice, then add a couple of spoons of yogurt and fruit of your choice.

Mat.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:56 am 
Bathes in Braggs

mmm bircher is the go! i soak regular muesli (the raw oats kind with bran, nuts, sultanas and dried apple) with juice and water and then add soy milk, about a tablespoon of tahini, a generous coating of cinnamon and a whole grated apple. i eat this pretty much every day <3 so good.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:03 am 
Huffs Nooch

I add the chia in the morning. I've never added it the night before so I don't know how it would turn out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:13 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

❀madam dahlia❀ wrote:
mmm bircher is the go! i soak regular muesli (the raw oats kind with bran, nuts, sultanas and dried apple) with juice and water and then add soy milk, about a tablespoon of tahini, a generous coating of cinnamon and a whole grated apple. i eat this pretty much every day <3 so good.

When I'm in the right continent and I have my shiitake together, this is how I do it! The grated apple and tahini (sunbutter's also good here) are key! Sometimes a banana might find its way into the muesli in the morning.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:26 am 

OK, OK, back up the truck.

MUST. TRY. BIRCHER.

That's all. :) How have I never heard about this?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:08 am 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

❀madam dahlia❀ wrote:

This sounds amazing. Must remember to make it tonight so I can enjoy in the morning!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:26 am 
ugh

Oh goodness, I've had the summer breakfast dilemma for a long time. Thanks for the suggestion!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:27 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I need to try this ASAP! Ive been having oatmeal issues all week.

Has anyone tried putting flaxsed meal in the oats and letting that soak with them? Every time I add the flaxseed meal to my oats after I cook them in the microwave, it gets gloppy and way too thick no matter how much water I add.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:26 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

GraciaKai wrote:
I need to try this ASAP! Ive been having oatmeal issues all week.

Has anyone tried putting flaxsed meal in the oats and letting that soak with them? Every time I add the flaxseed meal to my oats after I cook them in the microwave, it gets gloppy and way too thick no matter how much water I add.

I imagine the liquid would get goopy like it does when you're making flax eggs. Only one way to find out! Be sure to report back :D

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:46 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Mmmm... I love me some soaked oats. About a thousand years ago, I used to do a thing where I would take 1/4 cup bulgur, one cup milk, microwave for two minutes, and then let soak overnight. In the morning it was delicious!, think soggy Grapenuts, but in a good way. I do think I prefer the texture of the oats, though.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:04 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Can you say yum? That was the most amazing oatmeal Ive ever had!

1/2 cup oatmeal
1 cup of vanilla soy milk
2 tsp of cinnamon sugar mixture

Soaked overnight, and then in the morning I added:

1/2 of a banana
walnuts
raisins
drizzle of maple syrup

I got the recipe from the Witchy Kitchen website. I think next time I will add some flaxseed meal and let it soak with the oatmeal. I was afraid of it sucking up too much of the milk and getting nasty. But there was a lot of milk left in the bowl this morning, so I think it should be ok.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:15 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

My very favorite it akin to the muesli we served at a restaurant I used to work at--we soaked the oats in a 1/2 and 1/2 mixture of yogurt and apple juice (sounds weird, but so so good) with lots of different kinds of nuts (brazil nuts, almonds, cashews), raisins and whatever other kind of dried fruit we had on hand (I love apricots). We made big mixtures of it and it kept for a week. Works just as well with soy yogurt (or even just nondairy milk) and making a big mix of it makes breakfasts so easy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:54 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Does this work well with those McCann's Irish Oats?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:35 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

I keep reading the title of this thread as "soaked cats" and getting excited.

As it is, it has inspired me to try to start soaking oats overnight to stop me grabbing tea and toast in the mornings. Tonight I soaked a peach, an apple, oats, soymilk and a few drops of vanilla essence. I'll mix in some flax and crushed hazel nuts in the morning.

Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next