| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 735 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: The no-sugar support thread
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:07 am 
Kale Wreath

So much awesomeness in this thread!

Meggs - don't feel bad about the occasional luna bar, you could be doing much, much worse :)

Today's going well so far (day 7!!). I have a bunch of work to do at school this weekend, and I slept in (am I the only one who seems to be wanting to sleep MORE since cutting the sugar?) and had to rush to school without breakfast :(. But I grabbed a bag of almonds and some oranges on the way out the door. I'm going to be at school late tonight (here is another situation where I often overload on sugary snacks) but I've armed myself with more almonds, black coffee, and persimmons to get me through. Mmmm persimmons - they're actually relatively cheap here, and SO yummy!

Speaking of coffee, I'm starting to really ENJOY black coffee. Like I'd never tasted and appreciated actual coffee before. Coffee, pure and simple. Seriously!

Oh yeah, a no-sugar baking suggestion: http://www.nourishingmeals.com/2010/03/ ... vegan.html I have made this before, subbing almond butter for the PB, flax for the chia, increasing the flour a little bit, decreasing the hot water a bit, and subbing about 1.5 cups dates for the sugar - I made the dates into a mash by cooking them in the hot water. You may think that with all those substitutions, it would be a recipe for disaster, but I sold them at a vegan bakesale a few months ago, and a woman who could not have wheat or sugar tried one and then bought the whole batch because she liked them so much :).

Cosmic lettuce - you're so right about how things seem much worse when you're focusing on it. I'm just trying to get used to not 'treating' myself every day as a habit, and I feel like it is getting easier as I feel better!

I think that later, I'll gradually start incorporating some date-sweetened desserts into my diet, but I really want to get through 21 days without anything dessert-like first, to try and break the emotional attachment...

Thisheregiraffe, what long-term effects did you notice from cutting out the sugar for a few months? I'm curious.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:32 am 
Chard Martyr

pistachiorose wrote:
So much awesomeness in this thread!

Meggs - don't feel bad about the occasional luna bar, you could be doing much, much worse :)

Last night was worse- way worse. Back to old habits and then some. It's this damned insomnia! You'd think that after a full day of work and then staying out with friends until 11pm, I'd be tired, but I was so wide awake. I wish it had just been a Luna Bar (noted, next time it will be!) but I went for the baked goods and then chocolate. fork. It was awful! Now I know my body was detoxed because I actually felt a sugar high... weird. I felt gross and couldn't stop once I started. Bleh.

Anyway, new day, new opportunities! Starting over, and now I have a real-life ally in this process, as well as everyone here. She's not vegan, but sugar is also her vice, so we're going to try to keep each other accountable and I'm going to share some of the recipes for smoothies, frozen bananas, etc that everyone here has given me! I'm armed with the ingredients for a nice green smoothie this morning after my workout, and then I have plans for two Halloween parties tonight. I will eat a nice dinner before I go to them, to avoid anything they may have there.
gunk wrote:
...focusing on other aspects of my diet (what am I missing that means I want sugar? Often, it's because I'm dehydrated, or I've let myself get too hungry), it's easier to control that, and keep the sugar and sweeteners out of my diet.

I'm so guilty of this! I rarely take the time to consciously decide, "am I hungry or am I thirsty?" and I usually just grab food. Thanks for the reminder that I need to increase my water intake!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:55 am 
Kale Wreath

Aww Meggs, it must be really hard to avoid sweets when you have to have them in the house for someone else! I don't blame you. Is your house guest at all supportive of you trying to be sugar-free? Could they stick to only having sweets when they go out? It is your home, after all. The only thing I've got is oreos, and I'm going to give them away very soon so I don't remember I have them at, um, inopportune times, heh.

As for the insomnia, do you get much exercise during the days that you have trouble sleeping? I find exercise always makes me feel relaxed and sleepy at bedtime.

Tonight my classmates decided to have an impromptu Halloween party with lots of sugary treats and alcohol. I hung around for, like, 15 minutes, but it didn't seem like much fun and I didn't want to eat anything there (between being vegan and sugar-free). Of course, the no-sugar thing was only part of it - I unfortunately tend to not enjoy parties unless I'm really drunk, and I don't like being really drunk very often, so no parties for me. Oh well.

One week down, three more to go! (or so I tell myself)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:47 pm 
Hip Goiter

I've eaten more beans in one week than I had in the previous 2 months. haha. Bellyyy.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:53 pm 
Chard Martyr

I exercise 5-7 days/week. Hard. I try like hell to exhaust myself, but it doesn't work.

House guest (mother) is diabetic and still brings awful food into the house. We don't even get trick-or-treaters, and she has a whole bag of candy.... Lard only knows why. Anyway, she needs things like Lunas around because of her blood sugar levels... at least I got her to Lunas from other awful stuff she was eating!

Congratulations on your week! I have two parties that I'm supposed to stop by tonight and I don't feel like going to either of them. One of them isn't going to be so bad, but the second one is like what you described, pistachiorose- costumes, sugary treats, and alcohol. Just not my scene.

Just had a long workout and an apple/banana/spinach smoothie. New day, new attitude.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:56 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I am still sugar free. But I think it is making me feel kind of down, is that possible? It has been about a week now.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:02 am 
Kale Wreath

Zoey wrote:
I am still sugar free. But I think it is making me feel kind of down, is that possible? It has been about a week now.

Definitely (at least, I feel the same). We've just got to ride it out, I guess!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:00 pm 
Hip Goiter

I bought a packet of Vega protein powder to see if I liked it. It's just a single-serving packet, but I only added about 1/4-1/3 of it to my green smoothie today. Holy crepe, it was too sweet! It contains a small amount of stevia, which I was ok with since I used so little of it, but hot damn it was crazy how that amount of the supplement made it so overly sweet. My tastes have so noticeably changed. I made a bunch of raw granola bars a few days ago too, mostly consisting of buckwheat crispies and seeds, and it's held together by coconut oil and 1 T of agave. The entire batch, 1T of agave, and it's again really too sweet for my tastes. Crazy stuff, guys.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:46 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

How is Halloween going for everyone? I am sitting here next to a bowl of vegan candy and I am trying not to be tempted...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:06 am 
Kale Wreath

Zoey wrote:
How is Halloween going for everyone? I am sitting here next to a bowl of vegan candy and I am trying not to be tempted...

I didn't have a hard time. Although, tonight I went to a vegan cafe for dinner and homework by myself, and the waitress gave me a little halloween bat-cookie as a gift. I didn't feel comfortable refusing (I mean, it was vegan and everything that cafe makes is made with unrefined sweeteners and the like) so I ate it. I felt pretty ambivalent about it though, and I didn't want more, so I think that's progress! Other than that, I haven't given in to any sweets for 9 days :)

How's everyone else doing?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:11 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Parties are my downfall... Any suggestions for what drinks I could get that won't sabotage my sugar-free efforts?

Last edited by cosmiclettuce on Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:13 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

Last night was an "OMG GIVE ME CANDY" night. Instead of buying chocolate at the store, I bought grapes. =/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:35 pm 
Chard Martyr

Starting over today! Day one. Just going low-sugar for now so I don't beat myself up over little things. Wicked weekend....
Good for you, pistachiorose- that's awesome! I hope everyone is doing well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:39 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I've been having a battle with sugar my entire life it seems. I think the part that gets me is that I love to bake, I'm going to be a vegan baker for an upcoming donut shop in MPLS AND! it's the one "reward" I've always looked forward to. I've been experimenting with how long I can go without sugar and the other week I made it 5 days! The only reason I broke it was because I felt I had earned it seeing as I ran a 5k on Satuday so I had a cupcake and a whoopie pie on Sunday. But seriously folks. I'm so much happier when I'm not eating it. I don't, however, abstain from fruit (I have about two fruits a day MAYBE) because it helps me immensely while I train for races to have that extra kick. But otherwise, I'm convinced that I have been excusing my addicton too long and am happily jumping on this bandwagon. ;) Here to stay too. *hops on* The other thing is now that I'm trying to ween myself from the harmful effects of sugar, I now have a sugar-deprived boyfriend! He was so used to me baking all of the time, he actually whined that I don't bake anymore and asked me if I'd make him something/tried to buy ice cream. Whoops.

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:39 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Today is my official start to low-sugar! I figured MoFo would keep me honest, since I'll be posting about my foods for the whole world to read. So far so good. I had a soy jerky from my swap package for breakfast (I woke up too late to make something, and that was really not my idea of good...I had two bites. ick) and then hummus and veggies...yum. good job to those of you that got through the holiday!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:57 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Meggs wrote:
Starting over today! Day one. Just going low-sugar for now so I don't beat myself up over little things. Wicked weekend....
Good for you, pistachiorose- that's awesome! I hope everyone is doing well.

I don't think you really need to start over if you don't want to, acknowledge how well you've done and just say you've been low sugar since *x* date. I say I've been low sugar since June, I have had sugar but I know I have been eating a bazillion times less than I usually would :D

I made apple rhubarb crumble last night, I used agave instead of sugar :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:17 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I'm doing low sugar (and no booze!) for November. I don't eat lots of sugar but feel pretty average when I do, and if I eat more than usual I end up in a chemically induced energy rollercoaster which is awful.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:19 pm 
Chard Martyr

Kitteh wrote:
I made apple rhubarb crumble last night, I used agave instead of sugar :D

Sounds awesome, Kitteh!

Welcome, ladypenelope! The people on this thread are super helpful!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:26 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

pistachiorose, I just noticed your question!

After the detoxing and withdrawal stuff, my skin started looking amazing, I lost a few pounds, my mind was sharper and I stopped craving sugar. Other than that, I'm not sure of any other changes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:05 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

That's a really good idea about MoFo keeping you accountable and motivated for low/no-sugar. Is anyone else going to do this? I'd love to read your blogs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:03 am 
Kale Wreath

cosmiclettuce wrote:
That's a really good idea about MoFo keeping you accountable and motivated for low/no-sugar. Is anyone else going to do this? I'd love to read your blogs.

I am!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:51 am 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

Hey, can I join you guys? I used to lurk on the old boards at the sugar-free thread and the video that was posted really inspired me to start this. I'm not going to go cold-turkey, so to speak, but I'm going to try and keep it below 10g/day to start with and then wean myself down from there. The bad thing about starting now is that we are going into winter,so my fruit options are highly limited. But I'll make it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:56 am 
Kale Wreath

gaia13 wrote:
Hey, can I join you guys? I used to lurk on the old boards at the sugar-free thread and the video that was posted really inspired me to start this. I'm not going to go cold-turkey, so to speak, but I'm going to try and keep it below 10g/day to start with and then wean myself down from there. The bad thing about starting now is that we are going into winter,so my fruit options are highly limited. But I'll make it.

Of course! The more the merrier :D But about limited fruit options, I find that winter squash and yams are both also really good for calming the sweetness monkey and all that, so eat lots of those!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:59 am 
Kale Wreath

thisheregiraffe wrote:

After the detoxing and withdrawal stuff, my skin started looking amazing, I lost a few pounds, my mind was sharper and I stopped craving sugar. Other than that, I'm not sure of any other changes.

How long did it take for your skin to get better? (I wish mine would get better but I don't know if the no-sugar thing will make much difference)

I'm surprised at how little withdrawal/detox symptoms I'm having. Pretty much none, actually. Just when I was feeling down last week, but I feel better now. Maybe my body was just really ready to give up sugar or something.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:56 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

pistachiorose wrote:
thisheregiraffe wrote:

How long did it take for your skin to get better? (I wish mine would get better but I don't know if the no-sugar thing will make much difference).

yes, I'm looking forward to this side effect as well...it is one of my main reasons for doing this...I'd rather cut sugar than take medicine to make my skin better.

I wish I had more time to cook though, because it is really hard to find/make quick things that are low sugar...I am kind of surprised at all the places it sneaks in (day 2 for me and it is already tricky...I'm kind of excited by the challenge this is posing)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 735 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 30  Next