| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best recipe for seitan steak?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:06 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

It is my husband's 1st fathers day. His father is visiting from Canada, and we're all going to my father's for dinner. They're serving steak. (cue Tim Taylor argh argh argh) So, I'm hoping to bring something steak-like for me and my husband - more than just your average "beef" strips, that actully resembles a larger piece you can cut like a steak or cutlet type thing. I'm thinking this recipe for vegan filet mignon, but I've never tried it.
http://aveganfordinner.blogspot.com/200 ... eriod.html

Has anyone ever tried it? If so, was it good? Or maybe too salty? What kind of "beef" boullion did you use? That's the only ingredient I don't know where to get.

Or, does anyone know a better recipe? I have all the isa & terry cookbooks except vv and vb, but I don't think there is a suitable steak recipe in them. I don't have many other cookbooks, so something available online maybe?

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Best recipe for seitan steak?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:18 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Not a seitan steak more like a hybrid but I find chickpea cutlets are my go to 'steak knife' vegan food. They won't look like steak, but they are so good and I've made them loads of times without any problems.

That being said, I've been oggling that recipe for a while, but never tried it. If you do plan to go with a brand new recipe, I would give yourself some time to do a trial run or have a great back up plan.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:58 am 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

That recipe looks great! I agree that you should probably give it a test run, though.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:47 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Ok we're making this recipe now. I'm going to do it in a crockpot for 8 hrs on low overnight. My argh argh argh dad and his froufrou wife won't be eating it, so I didn't try it ahead. If it comes out icky my husband won't care, and they are making cavatelli with broccoli for us to eat too.

I'll report back on how it comes out.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:16 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

i've made that recipe. it was very tasty! i normally don't like big seitan cutlets because they are very chewy, but these were nice. i followed the recipe pretty much exactly, including flipping the steaks over every ten or so minutes, so i don't know if that affected the texture or not. i just used a beef bouillon i got in bulk from the health food store.

i hope it works out!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:33 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Wow, they came out really tender and juicy! (and very tasty) Like, when I cut it the jus oozes out. Not sure if that's because I cooked it in the crockpot or it is supposed to be that way, but I suppose it is probably authentic. Did your come out like that Hardcastle?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:47 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Just for the record, I used vogue brand beef bouillion that I got on Amazon. And we ate the test steak for breakfast with tater tots haha! Father's Day rules.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:22 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Those seitan steaks on Tracy's blog look really good! I like the seitan cutlet recipe in Vcon but those have more of a chicken-y flavor.

bird noises | book of faces

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:11 pm 
Saggy Butt

I just made vegan steak! I can give you an aprox recipe

1 1/2 c vital wheat gluten
3 or 4 c raw mushrooms (I used a mix of portabello and button)
Soy sauce to taste
2 tbsp ketchup
1/4 c nutritional yeast
1/4 c quinoa or chickpea flour
1 tsp thyme
2 c water
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbsp oil

In a wok, add the mushrooms, water and soy sauce. Once the mushrooms are cooked through, strain them and reserve the liquid. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Puree the cooked mushrooms and add the ketchup and oil. Mix the mushroom concoction with the dry ingredients and divide the seitan into cutlets. Make them on the smaller side because they expand a lot during cooking. Place in a baking pan and pour the reserved cooking liquid over it. Bake at 350 for an hour, flipping halfway through (and adding more cooking liquid or a combination of soy sauce and water i f it gets dry). Pan sear to finish

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:53 pm 
Chard Martyr

Bryanna Clark Grogan's beefy seitan is still my favourite!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:56 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Aubade wrote:
Wow, they came out really tender and juicy! (and very tasty) Like, when I cut it the jus oozes out. Not sure if that's because I cooked it in the crockpot or it is supposed to be that way, but I suppose it is probably authentic. Did your come out like that Hardcastle?

How long and for what heat level did you put it in the slowcooker for?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:38 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Aubade wrote:

yep! very tender and juicy, especially with the jus poured on top.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:24 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Niev wrote:
How long and for what heat level did you put it in the slowcooker for?

I did them on low for 8 hours.

And wow, I gotta say they were even better at dinner! I put the steaks on the grill and heated some of the sauce in the microwave to pour on top. They came out great, and even resembled the real steaks everyone else ate pretty remarkably.

Between the steaks and the vegan cupcakes I brought from Papa Ganache bakery, I think I finally managed to impress my dad for the 1st time in 13 years of veganism! wuhoo

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:43 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Does anyone still have the recipe for Tracy's seitan mignon? I tried Googling it but can't seem to find it anymore...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:29 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Tracy's fantastic blog is gone, but luckily she posted her seitan filet mignon recipe on some other sites.

http://www.chow.com/recipes/13559-vegan-filet-mignon
http://blogs.southshorenow.ca/vegan/?p=107

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:19 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

gingerlime wrote:
Tracy's fantastic blog is gone, but luckily she posted her seitan filet mignon recipe on some other sites.

http://www.chow.com/recipes/13559-vegan-filet-mignon
http://blogs.southshorenow.ca/vegan/?p=107

Thank you! What happened to her blog??

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:37 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

When I tried to access the blog I got the following message:

"Sorry, the blog at aveganfordinner.blogspot.com has been removed. This address is not available for new blogs"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:30 am 
Not NOT A Furry

This is the contents of the last post on her blog (I was a subscriber and it is still saved in my reader). I hope she doesn't mind.

Quote:
Hello everyone! Long time no blog, I know, I know. I'm ashamed.

Fact is, we're no longer vegan. No longer even vegetarian. That's the main reason I just let this blog die.
I could go into a long-winded explanation of why, but really I just don't want to dwell. I really do think veganism is the best way to go and will save the planet someday, but for now, based on our jobs, our personal issues and the pace of our individual lives it's just not workable at the moment.

I'm proud to say though that my teenage daughter is still a vegetarian. I still have quinoa in my cupboard and tofu in my freezer. We still eat vegan meals all the time....We just needed more flexibility in our choices for the time being.

At any rate, I am starting a new blog that has nothing to do with food or veganism; it's all about how comical life can be in small-town Canada with two teenagers close to leaving the nest.

If you want to check it out, it's located here:
http://sillyinthesuburbs.blogspot.com/

There may be some non-vegan chow that slips in there now and again, and I know some of you are sensitive to that, so be forewarned. Also be warned that the new blog will not be for the sensitive or easily offended, so note that also.

THIS here blog will be deleted within the month, so if there is any recipes you've been using, now is the time to print them out.

Peace!
~Tracy~

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:31 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Also, I have had this filet mignon recipe bookmarked forever and ever and never managed to make it. Now I REALLY need to make this, your reviews sound delicious!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:05 pm 

So today my boyfriend said "make me a seitan steak!", to which I replied "make one yourself!"

However, my non-vegetarian very picky boyfriend's request and that big package of gluten standing around got me interested and now I want to accept the challenge.

I think he wants it as realistic as possible? I havent eaten meat in over a decade so I have no idea. http://haymarket8.blogspot.de/2010/01/s ... teaks.html this looks good, but id need to change the marinate.

any other ideas?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:23 am 

Never made seitan steak, but that recipe looks really good.

Some general things I've learned from making lots of seitan: the texture will be much more succulent if you
1. let the dough rest in the fridge overnight or even better, for 24 hours, so the gluten can 'relax' before you cook it
2. don't boil the seitan, but let it cook on a very very low simmer, no bubbles in the liquid is best

Let us know how this turns out if you try it!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:23 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh funny, I started this thread so long ago!
I highly recommend the filet mignon recipe. I still crave it every so often. In fact, now that you bumped this thread I want some!
It is available at this link if you want to try it: http://www.chow.com/recipes/13559-vegan-filet-mignon

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]