| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: G.R.R. Martin book readers. Game of Thrones Spoilers within
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:21 am 
Pumpkinhead's lovechild

Don't read this thread if you're watching the series and don't want this to be ruined for you

Post subject: Re: G.R.R. Martin book readers. Game of Thrones Spoilers wit
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:22 am 
Pumpkinhead's lovechild

Also, speculation for book 5 welcome within.

I'll start that off.
Ned Stark comes back as the most honourable zombie EVER!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:29 am 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

i guess you should only ever check this thread if you've read all four? and, soon, all five? ack!

(and with that, i will not return until i have. and have.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:54 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Maarschmellow wrote:
Also, speculation for book 5 welcome within.

I'll start that off.

Haha, I hope so.

I keep forgetting that there's a fantasy/magic element to these books, like the end of A Game of Thrones
Spoiler: show
when the dragons were born I was like "but that can't have happened!" and then I remembered it's fantasy

I'm just about to finish A Clash of Kings. I'm finding parts of it confusing, like
did Theon kill Bran and Rickon? It said he did but then he was thinking about the boys that are up on the wall and how they were not Starks. And Arya's story is the one I have been the most involved in, I really wanted to see her return home or at least find someone who is a friend along the way. And I want to know if Gendry will figure out who he is.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:14 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Kitteh wrote:
I'm just about to finish A Clash of Kings. I'm finding parts of it confusing, like
did Theon kill Bran and Rickon? It said he did but then he was thinking about the boys that are up on the wall and how they were not Starks.

I just read the final chapter, I'm so glad they're alive!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:34 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Maarschmellow wrote:

ha, he would be!
Unlike Cat.

Book 4/5 things!
I am excited to get to Dany and Tyrion and Jon in the 5th book. Also Arya and Bran. So basically everyone. Anyway I read that there will also be some Jamie/Cercei pov since the end of this book goes past the end of Crows. I hope there is some comeuppance going on. And that Theon gets his as well, the jerk.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:41 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Rach*n wrote:
Maarschmellow wrote:

ha, he would be!
Unlike Cat.

Book 4/5 things!
I am excited to get to Dany and Tyrion and Jon in the 5th book. Also Arya and Bran. So basically everyone. Anyway I read that there will also be some Jamie/Cercei pov since the end of this book goes past the end of Crows. I hope there is some comeuppance going on. And that Theon gets his as well, the jerk.

Yeah I was going to say, there is at least one zombie Stark I'm looking forward to seeing more of!

I feel the POVs in Dance will be much more exciting. The mustard and the imp are two of my favs in the series thus far. Oh and Sam the Slayer. I guess I'm just a sucker for outcasts.

Wasn't much of a fan much of the House Martell drama is Feast, but from George's blog it sounds like it plays a big part in Dance so we shall see.

This is great to talk about these books because it's been a while since I read these and I need a refresher for the new book.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:10 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Rach*n wrote:
And that Theon gets his as well, the jerk.

I'd hoped he'd died at the end of A Clash of Kings when Winterfell was set on fire, but I guess he didn't, damn him.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:40 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Kitteh wrote:
Rach*n wrote:

I'd hoped he'd died at the end of A Clash of Kings when Winterfell was set on fire, but I guess he didn't, damn him.

Did you get to meet the other members of House Greyjoy, yet? I really like the whole "Ironborn" culture of Iron Islands. They kind of remind me of vikings.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:57 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Are you guys talking about me?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:15 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Isa, you're brave coming in here! I hope you're scrolling super fast, without reading most of these posts.

My reply below contains comments about book #2 (for anyone who hasn't read it) - I figure I shouldn't bother with spoiler tags because the books aren't new

nickvicious wrote:
Kitteh wrote:
Rach*n wrote:

Did you get to meet the other members of House Greyjoy, yet? I really like the whole "Ironborn" culture of Iron Islands. They kind of remind me of vikings.

Yep, his Dad and Asha (that was hilarious, stupid Theon!) I didn't pay him much attention in A Game of Thrones and had no idea he'd be such a kumquat in A Clash of Kings.

Today I'm starting A Storm of Swords, I would like about 8 hours of undisturbed reading time starting.... NOW.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:15 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

IsaChandra wrote:
Are you guys talking about me?

I think Isa is the Venemous Head of Westeros. Makes Cersei look like a puppy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:12 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I just started Storm of Swords and right now I'm feeling like the kid from The Princess Bride:
"Who kills Joffery? At the end. Somebody's got to do it. Is it Arya? Who?!"
"Nobody. Nobody kills him, he lives."
"You mean he wins? Geez, George!"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:05 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

BluePlasticStraw wrote:
I just started Storm of Swords and right now I'm feeling like the kid from The Princess Bride:
"Who kills Joffery? At the end. Somebody's got to do it. Is it Arya? Who?!"
"Nobody. Nobody kills him, he lives."
"You mean he wins? Geez, George!"

It's all part of the master plan. This plot runs deep, yo!

Storm of Swords has some of my favorite parts. If you don't have a copy of Feast for Crows already: get one! You're going to want pick it up the moment you put Storm down.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I keep debating whether or not to mention this on the TV show thread, but I figured it would be safer to put it here. Have you guys read the speculation of random people on the internet (and there is nothing to back this up whatsoever, so it's not a spoiler) that Jon Snow is actually not Ned's son at all, but that his parents are really Ned's sister and whoever the Targaryen was who should rightfully have been king? That would make Jon the heir to the throne, because Dany is actually the daughter of a younger Targaryen child! I REALLY want this to be the case. I love Jon.

I only read the first two books (but then read the Wikipedia pages for the subsequent books so I'd know what happened). I keep debating about going back and reading the rest of the series.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:24 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Storm of Swords spoiler
I can't believe Cat freed Jaime. And I really want Arya to get to Riverrun safely, I enjoy her story the most.

And Nick, I will buy a copy of FFC before I finish SOS, thanks!

molly wrote:
I keep debating whether or not to mention this on the TV show thread, but I figured it would be safer to put it here. Have you guys read the speculation of random people on the internet (and there is nothing to back this up whatsoever, so it's not a spoiler) that Jon Snow is actually not Ned's son at all, but that his parents are really Ned's sister and whoever the Targaryen was who should rightfully have been king? That would make Jon the heir to the throne, because Dany is actually the daughter of a younger Targaryen child! I REALLY want this to be the case. I love Jon.

That's interesting. Was Lyanna old enough to have given birth before she was killed? Jon would be an awesome king and it would make more sense for Ned because he didn't seem like the type to cheat on his wife and it would explain why he was so secretive.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:30 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Kitteh wrote:
molly wrote:

That's interesting. Was Lyanna old enough to have given birth before she was killed? Jon would be an awesome king and it would make more sense for Ned because he didn't seem like the type to cheat on his wife and it would explain why he was so secretive.

I would assume she was old enough, because she was old enough to be engaged to Robert Baratheon, anyway. Again, though, I've only read the first 2 books so I don't know for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:33 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

You're right Molly. Do any of you guys who've read all 4 books think it could be true? I feel like there is something waiting to be revealed about Jon but that could be because he's one of my favourite characters.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:56 pm 
Pumpkinhead's lovechild

Jon has sworn an oath to wear no crown and hold no land. Whatever his parentage is he's too much a Stark to go back on this. Rightful heir, maybe. King, never.

I don't know if there's a previously unmentioned state of emergency loophole for the commander of the Night's Watch to lead the Kingdom. Winter is coming after all.

I think it's not that far fetched, with the Ned's secrecy regarding Jon's past that there is something more going on. He's already taken the besmirchment on his honour of having fathered a mustard. I can see how not discussing the mother would be common courtesy to his wife and Jon is still a bit young (well, in the book). But there's plenty of room for further intrigue on that level. Mother Targyren, Lyssa and Targyren, Baratheon's mustard for all we know (he does go far to honour his and his friends' debts, and bringing a mustard to a royal marriage isn't the standard recipe for a stable kingdom).
I'd have to read back in to things to be sure but there's Stark or Baratheon in there at least based on his visual appearance. If I remember he looked more northern than Stark's true children. There's no trace of platinum hair nor the violet eyes. Jon's were grey if I remember correctly.

But, in order for all this to be true. Who was Wylla, and why would Ned lie to Robert that she was his mother. Or did he only indicate there was a relationship outside of marriage without mentioning Jon?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Maybe Ned thought it was too dangerous to reveal Jon's real parentage? He could have sworn an oath to his sister to protect her
son or something.

Quote:
Jon has sworn an oath to wear no crown and hold no land. Whatever his parentage is he's too much a Stark to go back on this. Rightful heir, maybe. King, never.

Agreed, that's why I think it could be a really compelling plot point. I definitely think there is SOMETHING more to Jon's parentage than him just being a mustard son with a prostitute mother.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:29 pm 

Kitteh wrote:
You're right Molly. Do any of you guys who've read all 4 books think it could be true?

There is extremely strong evidence that Jon is Lyanna & Rhaegar's son. The biggest clues are his appearance, which favors Lyanna, and the way Lyanna died.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:39 pm 

A pretty thorough explanation of all possible players in Jon's parentage: http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/FAQ/Entry/2291/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:54 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Rach*n wrote:
A pretty thorough explanation of all possible players in Jon's parentage: http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/FAQ/Entry/2291/

Thanks for that! There is so much information on that site, it must take ages to compile it all.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:27 am 

Kitteh wrote:
Rach*n wrote:

Thanks for that! There is so much information on that site, it must take ages to compile it all.

I was reading around more and found this site-if you want tons of information and book quotes all neatly lined up, this page has it all..

Is Faux Arya going to be involved in book 5? I wonder what her deal is.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:31 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I hope Jon isn't Lyanna and Rhaegar's son. I like the idea of Bran and Jon ruling in the North and Dany in the South. Not Jon and Dany uniting the 7 kingdoms. And honestly, I don't know if Dany will ever even make it to Westeros. Some say she'll stay in the east and possibly rebuild Valyria.

Speaking of Rhaegar and Lyanna, you guys know how Eddard always has flashbacks of Lyanna dying and saying "Promise me"...what the heck was the promise? Did I miss that in the books? Possibly keep Jon's identity hidden?