| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: what is wrong with my lemon verbena?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:56 am 
protein lump

i got a small lemon verbena plant from the farmer's market a few weeks ago. i repotted her last week, maybe on wednesday or thursday because she was looking a little sad and wilty and i'm pretty sure she needed more room.

i gently pulled some of the roots away from the main root ball when i did the repotting and for a day or two she bounced back and looked really healthy, but now she's looking worse than ever. she has some dark spots on the tips of her leaves and a lot of the leaves are going yellow-y and falling off.

i've watered her twice in maybe 2 or 3 weeks. the soil she came in was damp when i got her so i didn't water her right away. i watered her once in the pot she came in and then again when i repotted. the soil is still pretty damp so i haven't watered again.

she's an inside plant. i had her in the kitchen where it stays bright for most of the day but doesn't get any direct sunlight. i've since moved her into one of the side rooms which gets a bit of direct sunlight, but is mostly just bright sunlight (more than the kitchen) for the majority of the day.

does she need more sun? is she overwatered? since the soil is still damp, i don't think she's underwatered at all.

it makes me sad because she smells like awesome and i don't want her to die.

halp!

Post subject: Re: what is wrong with my lemon verbena?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:19 am 
ol' garly cooch

Can I see a pic? For now, here's a photo guide to some nutrient deficiencies. I'm going to be looking this one up right now:
http://nutrico.org/newsletter/wp-conten ... _sympt.gif

Sounds like the poor thing is just dealing with transplant shock. I can't speak highly enough about mycorrhizae, a beneficial bacteria that is used as an inoculant for roots. Plant success is the cheapest out on the market and comes in soluble, tablet, and granular. The myco clings to the root hairs and allows faster nutrient uptake. Many hobbyists and professionals use mycorrhizae for seedlings and transplants. Tell me, did you notice any insects hanging around the root zone? Sometimes greenhouse purchases can be infested with root maggots or another pest that prevents the plant from thriving in their new home.

Keep us posted!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:23 am 
protein lump

it's hard to get a good picture, but you can see in this one that the tips look a little burned almost?

in this one you can kind of see a cluster of burned looking leaves at the crown of the plant.

and thanks for reminding me about the myco stuff! i had read about it before then completely forgot about it. any decent nursery should have it?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:47 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

IANAPG (I am not a professional gardener), but I've grown lemon verbena.

It loves really hot weather with lots and lots of sun, so if you can, I'd move your plant into the sunniest, hottest location in your house and keep the soil moist, maybe misting the leaves occasionally and hitting it up with some seaweed emulsion every few months. I've noticed that verbena will start yellowing and dropping its leaves if it feels even slightly too cold, so that may be an issue; aphids and mites also loooooooove to nom on it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:01 am 
protein lump

ok, cool! it's been on the colder side for the past few weeks so maybe that's the deal. i will move her into the bedroom (most sun/warmest) or maybe even outside and see if she bounces back again.

by the way, i haven't seen any bugs around/in the soil or her roots when replanting. but i will keep an eye on her if i put her outside. we have tons of aphids. i need to go get some ladybugs, methinks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:13 am 
ol' garly cooch

Hey Esme, I found a wealth of knowledge in this article. Pay attention to page 2. Stephanie was correct, but that article is a handy guide for growing this plant.
http://www.herbcompanion.com/Herb-Profi ... RBENA.aspx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:32 pm 
protein lump

thank you! that is really helpful! here's hoping i can get her healthy again!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:27 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

plants hate you touching their roots. it might just be in shock from that... but i would also second the more heat-more sun thing, mine is in full sun in a subtropical climate and as happy as can be.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:24 pm 
Tofu Pup

wow its been a year since anyone has posted on this topic. i recently got a taste for lemon verbena when my gf from San Fran Frisco brought some to atl on her last visit. omg!!!! love at first whiff. the tea it made was amazing.

so... i decided to buy the plant online via amazon as well as to buy some leaves to hold me over. the leaves that came were nothing like what my friend had brought me. they tasted like my mom's old huge packs of lipton tea. was very disappointing.

then my plants came. two. i put up grow lights and put them on a shelf by a window.

i made the mistake of bringing in some other out door plants that needed revived. now my lemon verbena has little knats all on them. i was thinking about re-potting them. i heard a layer of sand on the top will keep these little guys out. they are not ready to be transplanted out doors yet. but i would really like to rid the plants of these pesky little buggers.

any help? i will check out the info previously posted as well. but any new info would be fantabulous!!!

And don't forget what happened to the the little girl who suddenly found out that she got everything that she ever wanted?
...She lived happily ever after!
-Willy Wonka

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:08 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

They're probably fungus gnats. You'll want to make sure that you let the soil your plants are in dry out completely between waterings (fine for the plant, but if they're in a relatively small volume of soil and are big-ish and well rooted, you will have to be vigilant about not letting them go too long without water). Yellow sticky cards are also an option.