| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 491 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Brunch
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:21 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I've always just made the regular pancake recipe, but tonight for dinner went with the banana flapjacks - best choice! These are excellent and I think I've got a new favourite pancake. The boyfriend loved them as well.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:02 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

in2insight wrote:
I've made a number of recipes from this awesome book, all good.
Was going to try the "omelet" next, but it says to use silken tofu and NOT the vacuum packed one.
Why?
It's the only silken tofu I can get in this area.
Cheers.

From what I understand the vacuum packed ones have more of a soy flavor, but that's all I can find as well and I use it anyway. Everything has turned out fine for me.

In other news. We made the tofu benny last night sans tomato (because it's April) and it was delicious. I made my own hollandaise because I was missing half the ingredients and it was still wonderful. I also made the cranberry orange muffins for a group ride this morning and they were as perfect as always.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:52 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Catalina wrote:
in2insight wrote:
I've made a number of recipes from this awesome book, all good.
Was going to try the "omelet" next, but it says to use silken tofu and NOT the vacuum packed one.
Why?
It's the only silken tofu I can get in this area.
Cheers.

From what I understand the vacuum packed ones have more of a soy flavor, but that's all I can find as well and I use it anyway. Everything has turned out fine for me.

In other news. We made the tofu benny last night sans tomato (because it's April) and it was delicious. I made my own hollandaise because I was missing half the ingredients and it was still wonderful. I also made the cranberry orange muffins for a group ride this morning and they were as perfect as always.

I've heard the aseptic packets are less grainy? That's what Dynise says in Urban Vegan. I've used both and don't really see a difference to be honest, except the aseptic one is about double the price. Then again, I'm not using American brands. :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:39 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I have been loving the scones lately! I used regular EB, not shortening, and they turn out great. Last week, I tried chocolate & ginger and tonight I made cherry almond... soooo good.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:49 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

eating soooo many choc chip scones. My mom just bought this book for me, but my son will get hooked on one thing and want it over and over. So someday we'll try something else in this book! Good to know I could use EB since I bought that and no shortening on the last grocery trip.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:10 am 
Tofu Pup

My omni boyfriend and I made the Perfect Pancakes and the Tofu Scramble. I loved the pancakes, as per usual (So did Nick!). I found the scramble to be a little to 'salty' tasting.. so I'm gonna have to switch around some things. Nick actually really enjoyed it, and said it needed to be a breakfast staple. I even snuck in mushrooms AGAIN [fyi, he hates them]..
I am doing a vegan week of cooking for him so he can understand that its not plastic, or all veggies like his stupid friends think. He has always been very supportive of my lifestyle but we haven't eaten like this, healthy, until now.
Thanks Isa for the recipe! :)

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:19 am 
Saggy Butt

I just made the Tofu Benny for the first time. OMG! Amazing! I didn't have any tomatoes, so I fried up some Tempeh bacon for that layer. The hollandaise is incredible.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:54 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I feel like half my PPK posts are me freaking out about how awesome different recipes are, but seriously, the chesapeake tempeh cakes from this book are INSANE. We just gobbled them up for dinner with tots & roasted asparagus on the side.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:13 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

If anybody feels like PM'ing me the recipe for the potato-spinach thingy in VB I'd love you forever! My copy is at my parents' house four hours away.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:36 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

molly wrote:
I feel like half my PPK posts are me freaking out about how awesome different recipes are, but seriously, the chesapeake tempeh cakes from this book are INSANE. We just gobbled them up for dinner with tots & roasted asparagus on the side.

What! That sounds like the best meal ever. I think I will do that for dinner tonight; thanks for the inspiration :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:23 am 

I just made the coffee cake with plums (and I have Terry's brown sugar limeade chilling in my fridge - we have 30°C/86°F today and it is way too hot for me).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:50 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I have a weekly meal thing with various family members and friends, where everyone makes a few bits. I made the VB frittata, except I just used whatever veg I had in the fridge (I think it was onions, peas, spinach, mushrooms and bell peppers), and it was really great. I fed it to mainly omnis, and a couple of ovo-lacto veggies, and it went down a storm.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:10 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Made the Chelsea Waffles last night. So delicious! I subbed 1 cup of the all-purpose with buckwheat. Came out great.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:44 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

We had the Courico Tacos with Pineapple Salsa tonight - they were GREAT. I'm loving this book for dinners.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:04 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just tried the buckwheat waffles and they stuck terribly to the waffle iron - has anyone else had this problem? We use our waffle iron all the time so I know it's not an equipment issue. I turned them into pancakes so it worked out fine, but I'd like to do them as waffles in the future if possible!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:04 am 

Has anyone tried the hollandaise sauce from this book? I had the most amazing vegan breakfast at a restaurant Sunday and it had a vegan hollandaise sauce over it. I would love to try something similar at home, hopefully one that doesn't call for too many ingredients that I don't normally have at home or that are difficult to find (I do have access to a Whole Foods). I'm also debating between buying this book, Vcon, or the new Peas and Thank You book.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:27 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Quote:
Has anyone tried the hollandaise sauce from this book? I had the most amazing vegan breakfast at a restaurant Sunday and it had a vegan hollandaise sauce over it. I would love to try something similar at home, hopefully one that doesn't call for too many ingredients that I don't normally have at home or that are difficult to find (I do have access to a Whole Foods). I'm also debating between buying this book, Vcon, or the new Peas and Thank You book.

Hi - I haven't tried the hollandaise sauce from the book yet. I also had hollandaise sauce at a vegan restaurant this past Sunday, although it wasn't very good. I had a craving after seeing the Tofu Benny picture from Vegan Brunch. I've been wanting to make that recipe but I was starving on Sunday and decided to just go out instead. BUT - this weekend I'm definitely going to have time to make the Tofu Benny. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Oh - and I would vote to get Vegan Brunch book. It's my newest book and the pictures are very enticing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:23 am 
Saggy Butt

I made the cinnamon rolls this morning, at last. Excellent recipe in taste and texture and I love the drizzle on the hot buns.

I always had trouble with the filling oozing out underneath cinnamon buns as they cooked but the method in this book works perfectly.

Tonight or tomorrow I am going to make the Chesapeake Tempeh Cakes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:15 pm 

I just had a BLT made with tempeh bacon from this book, and I'm pretty sure I made an audible yum noise after taking my first bite. YUM.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:51 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

molly wrote:
We had the Courico Tacos with Pineapple Salsa tonight - they were GREAT. I'm loving this book for dinners.

This is perhaps my favourite recipe from the book...perhaps, there are too many great ones.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:41 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Finally made the Tofu Benny. Delicious and very fun to make. The hollandaise sauce is mild, not overwhelming and so much better than a version I had in a (vegan) restaurant recently. The diner home fries tecnique of boiling the potatoes first, draining, and then letting sit in the hot pan to get brown (without disturbing them!) is probably obvious to most but I had never made home fries before so I appreciated the detailed instructions. The addition of the smoked salt on the tomato puts the whole recipe over the top.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:00 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I just made the cinnamon rolls for like the 6th time...they are seriously the best I've ever had. They're like these ones that I used to get in Amish country when on vacation in the finger lakes region of NY, only better. I divided the batch into 2 8" round pans and gave half to my grandma as a "get well soon" treat for after her shoulder surgery. Nothing says "I love you!" like a cinnamon roll!

And has anyone ever made the omelette with mori-nu aseptic-packed tofu even though the instructions say not to?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:17 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

dannibazaar wrote:
...And has anyone ever made the omelette with mori-nu aseptic-packed tofu even though the instructions say not to?

Yep & they turned out great. Just make sure that you have a big enough pan to leave room to flip them or it will end in sadness!

Not-For-Profit Cupcakes: Operation Icing.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:45 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

jojo wrote:
dannibazaar wrote:
...And has anyone ever made the omelette with mori-nu aseptic-packed tofu even though the instructions say not to?

Yep & they turned out great. Just make sure that you have a big enough pan to leave room to flip them or it will end in sadness!

Awesome, thanks! That's good to know. I never buy silken tofu that isn't water packed, so I'm glad I can just use the stuff I already have. Did you use just one pack per recipe or more?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:27 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I love the chesapeake tempeh cakes, the tempeh sausage pastry puffs, peanut butter waffles, yeasted raised waffles (i put apple and walnuts in mine) and the bagels. but yesterday i tried making the individual hash brown and they were raw and soggy in the middle but black on top. I also tried making the english muffins but the dough was so insanely sticky that I couldnt knead it properly and they came out kinda small and flat. I was a sad panda :(

Reply to topic  [ 491 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 20  Next