| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boston area soft serve?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:31 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Anybody know where I can get some vegan soft serve ice cream in the Boston area? It's one of the things I miss most and I want to be ready for our next heat wave. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Boston area soft serve?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:23 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Not that I know of, I think there's a vegan ice cream truck in Providence though? I heard it was awesome at Boston VegFest but didn't get to try it. And I don't know if it ever even comes to Boston, or if it has soft serve? Peace o Pie should install a Chicago Soydairy soft serve machine!

JP Licks has vegan sorbet, that's what I'm planning on getting when it heats up again, but it's not the same.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:03 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I was googling and someone mentioned Amsterdam Cafe in the South End, they said they have vegan soft serve. The menu doesn't mention soft serve per se but they do list a "tofu" option:

http://www.amsterdamcafeboston.com/Frozen%20Yogurt.htm

I'll have to swing by and check it out soon.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:17 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Thanks! I emailed the Amsterdam Cafe to ask them - I'll let you know if/when they reply.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:12 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

oh awesome- definitely let me know! Since I got soft serve on the brain I really want it now.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:43 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Quarantined wrote:
I think there's a vegan ice cream truck in Providence though? I heard it was awesome at Boston VegFest but didn't get to try it. And I don't know if it ever even comes to Boston, or if it has soft serve?

It does! It does not have regular ice cream, just soft serve, shakes, and maybe other stuff? I don't know, because I always want soft serve.

This probably doesn't help you, VeganChick, but it's called Like No Udder, and if you're in the Providence area, you should check her twitter or facebook or gps thingy and track her down! It's great.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:15 am 
Saggy Butt

If you're ever in Salem, Kushco Bistro/Cafe Kushco on Washington Street serves made-to-order frozen yogurt, and they have a tofu base for vegans.

It's not soft-serve per se, but it is really, really good.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:49 am 
Chard Martyr

I'm holding out so hard on a Bruins jab. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:15 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

vijita wrote:
I'm holding out so hard on a Bruins jab. :)

haha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:19 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Ooh! Please do post about Amsterdam Cafe--that's along my commute.

I've heard that Angora Cafe has vegan fro-yo:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/angora-cafe-boston?q=vegan

I haven't been there yet though, so I can't verify specifically, but I "follow" reviewer Alyssa J P., and she seems to know her stuff.

ETA: http://www.yelp.com/biz/amsterdam-cafe-boston?q=vegan
Looks like Amsterdam is based on Yelp--still like to hear the email response though. I don't know why I'm so untrusting of people...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:07 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Cafe Kiraz in Cambridge also has the "frozen tofu" option.

They take a (frozen, pre-packaged) block of tofu and run it through the frozen yogurt machine they way they would with their (frozen, pre-packaged) yogurt, then add the flavorings. Kevin and I got some once but after watching the process weren't sure of the vegan-ness of anything (the flavorings, the machine, etc), so we haven't had it since. Report back if any of you find anything out!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:23 pm 

vegetalion wrote:

They take a (frozen, pre-packaged) block of tofu and run it through the frozen yogurt machine they way they would with their (frozen, pre-packaged) yogurt, then add the flavorings. Kevin and I got some once but after watching the process weren't sure of the vegan-ness of anything (the flavorings, the machine, etc), so we haven't had it since. Report back if any of you find anything out!

That's a tough call! I'll do the things labeled "processed on the same equipment," but this seems like there's more cross contamination than that warning connotes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:09 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

ndpittman wrote:
vegetalion wrote:

That's a tough call! I'll do the things labeled "processed on the same equipment," but this seems like there's more cross contamination than that warning connotes.

That's what I was thinking. I don't know how often/how well frozen yogurt machines are cleaned. But I'm hoping someone on this thread will be able to give a definitive (positive) answer about vegan soft serve somewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:16 pm 

OR we start a campaign to get Like No Udder to drive up from Providence? I'd like to drive down, but the last time I tried to drive to Providence my car broke down.

I feel like Peace o Pie and/or The Pulse Cafe would be open to having it? It seems like it'd fit with their respective menus?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:37 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

ndpittman wrote:
OR we start a campaign to get Like No Udder to drive up from Providence? I'd like to drive down, but the last time I tried to drive to Providence my car broke down.

I feel like Peace o Pie and/or The Pulse Cafe would be open to having it? It seems like it'd fit with their respective menus?

Ooo I forgot about this: according to a post on the Boston Vegan Association forums, Peace o' Pie may have ice cream by the end of the summer, but it's tentative.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:14 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I have not heard back from Amsterdam - boo.

Maybe I'll venture to Cafe Kiraz but it does seem slightly sketchy. I'll also do the "processed on the same equipment as" option but I can visualize a couple of portions of regular left in the machine when the tofu gets run through so I don't know.

VegNews did a feature on ice cream shops this past week - I was so hoping to see something in Boston but no dice.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:49 pm 

I think I might contact Bella Luna in JP and see if it's something they'd consider. I think it'd fit the vibe of the restaurant perfectly. I had pizza there last night. SO GOOD!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:00 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Cabot's in Newton has accidentally vegan soft serve. You just need to ask for the non dairy option and whatever mix-ins you want as they do custom flavors. Super good and creamy. If you tell them that you have an allergy, they will rinse the machines for you so there's nothing residual from any dairy stuffs.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:26 pm 

iloveheeze wrote:
Cabot's in Newton has accidentally vegan soft serve. You just need to ask for the non dairy option and whatever mix-ins you want as they do custom flavors. Super good and creamy. If you tell them that you have an allergy, they will rinse the machines for you so there's nothing residual from any dairy stuffs.

I didn't even think about asking them to rinse the machine! I did wonder about people with allergies and the cross contamination, but my mind just went to should probably stay away from that instead of, hey, maybe they can rinse it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:46 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Machine rinsing! I didn't even know if this was possible. Awesome.