| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1300 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: Re: cloth diapering
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:38 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I haven't used them, but I would recommend not buying a whole stash in one brand before the baby is here and you've had a chance to try them. We use prefolds and covers, but I was glad we tried 4 or 5 brands of covers when Walter was small because we found that some did not work for his giant thighs. Just my $0.02!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:28 pm 
Semen Strong

Okay, now I want a picture of Walter and his chubby thighs....

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:43 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Why can ultrasound technology tell me that my fetus has 4 heart chambers, but not what brand of diaper will fit? *sigh*

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:04 pm 
Semen Strong

Hahaha! That is prenatal testing I would go for!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:54 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Tofulish.....I purchased about 4 Kawaii diapers to use on FunGuyFunGuy! They are so much cheaper then the other all in one diapers out there and I've heard great things about them. I believe I bought mine off of diaperjunction.com. Does Go Lightly sell them in store now?

You'll have to come over one of these days and I can show you my whole stash and tell you about which ones are working out great for us or not. We pretty much have everything, AIO's, prefolds, covers, gDiapers, you name it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:36 pm 
Inflexitarian

I went to a cloth diapering workshop last week that really eased a lot of my anxiety about cloth diapering. I've always wanted to do it but there are so many choices out there I constantly felt like I was going to pick the wrong one and doom my baby to...well, I'm not sure - pregnancy has made me a vessel for irrational fears and worry. I've got one more semester left once the baby is born and am still working part time so the little one will be in infant care starting at 6 or 7 weeks. Everyone seems to rave about prefolds and covers but I foresee this being a headache with caregivers so I just registered for a bunch of pocket diapers and inserts (I'm using prefolds and covers for the new born stage and a couple fitted diapers just in case the pocket diapers aren't fitting as good as I want them to when I have to start infant care).

Does anyone else do day care and cloth diaper? What do you use? What has your experience been?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:23 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I use both AIO's and Pockets (snaps, not aplix/velcro). I prefer my pockets as they are still as easy to use as disposables, but wick away the moisture much better than AIO's (at least this is the case for me). My husband was extremely skeptical at first, but he loves using them now. Max is not in daycare, but I would say that your pockets would be fine for use as such. The only difference that your daycare provider would experience would be that they would put soiled diapers in your Wet Bag and not the trash (if you use the Pockets or AIO's). They are as easy to put on your baby as a disposable!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:29 pm 
Inflexitarian

mel wrote:
I use both AIO's and Pockets (snaps, not aplix/velcro). I prefer my pockets as they are still as easy to use as disposables, but wick away the moisture much better than AIO's (at least this is the case for me). My husband was extremely skeptical at first, but he loves using them now. Max is not in daycare, but I would say that your pockets would be fine for use as such. The only difference that your daycare provider would experience would be that they would put soiled diapers in your Wet Bag and not the trash (if you use the Pockets or AIO's). They are as easy to put on your baby as a disposable!

I ran across my first bit of resistance today dealing with daycares. As soon as I mentioned cloth diapering they completely shut me down which surprised me because they're an all organic, eco-friendly center who even accommodate vegan kids so I thought they'd be more accommodating of cloth diapers since all they have to do is throw them in a wet bag I'll provide. I emailed the owner tonight to see if there's any possibility they can be used. To be continued...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:11 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Our daycare (just our next door neighbor, mind you, though she is licensed), had no qualms with our cloth diapers. We just use prefolds and covers. She's older and cloth diapered her kids way back when, so she had an idea of how to do it when we first brought it up, but she says that a lot has changed since then - for the better! She's definitely gotten the hang of it... except for the dumping of the poop. Sometimes I don't check the wetbag before it all goes into the washer - nothing like seeing a giant pooball drifting across the glass door of a frontloading washer to get you in a great mood...

I would let the hesitant daycare see how easy it is. Bring in some of the dipes and be willing to give any of the caretakers a crash course. A lot of people think cding is a lot harder than it actually is, and just need to be educated. My new work does have a crazy incredible daycare right on site (how amazing would that be? Stop in to see your kid on your break?), but they refuse cloth diapers. I was honest to the director when I told her that that was the only reason we wouldn't be bringing Ezra there. Hopefully that might make them reevaluate. We can't be the only cd family in this hippy town...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:22 pm 
Semen Strong

Congratulations on your new job flavabean! So happy you found something that works for you and has daycare to boot!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:26 pm 
Married to the wolfman

GuineaPig wrote:
I went to a cloth diapering workshop last week that really eased a lot of my anxiety about cloth diapering. I've always wanted to do it but there are so many choices out there I constantly felt like I was going to pick the wrong one and doom my baby to...well, I'm not sure - pregnancy has made me a vessel for irrational fears and worry. I've got one more semester left once the baby is born and am still working part time so the little one will be in infant care starting at 6 or 7 weeks. Everyone seems to rave about prefolds and covers but I foresee this being a headache with caregivers so I just registered for a bunch of pocket diapers and inserts (I'm using prefolds and covers for the new born stage and a couple fitted diapers just in case the pocket diapers aren't fitting as good as I want them to when I have to start infant care).

Does anyone else do day care and cloth diaper? What do you use? What has your experience been?

We did daycare with cloth, but our kid was much older (19 months). We just sent him with prefolds and covers and demoed putting them on for the teachers. One teacher would always put the prefold in sideways... Other than that, we didn't have any trouble with them in daycare and if the staff secretly hated having to deal with CDs, they did a good job of hiding it.

Oh, flavabean reminded me-- they didn't dump the poop. Ever. I can understand that, as their diaper changing area was across the room from the bathroom and thus an extra hassle when you're keeping an eye on multiple toddlers.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:27 pm 
Married to the wolfman

And wooooo, congrats flavabean!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:30 pm 
Nooch of Earl

coldandsleepy wrote:
Oh, flavabean reminded me-- they didn't dump the poop. Ever. I can understand that, as their diaper changing area was across the room from the bathroom and thus an extra hassle when you're keeping an eye on multiple toddlers.

This could be dictated by law; in Illinois, at least, it's illegal for daycare centers to rinse the diapers (or really do anything besides throw them in a bag to hand off at the end of the day). A lot of things that I see parents get annoyed with are the result of state laws the daycare center has no control over, so I always recommend looking up the rules they have to follow.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:58 am 
Bathes in Braggs

coldandsleepy wrote:
And wooooo, congrats flavabean!

Thanks guys! It's a job. A job with amazing benefits, but I really don't think I'm going to like it very much. I'm really torn. I just had an interview with a local college that needs a new admissions director, and it sounds like the absolute perfect job - exactly what I'd want to be doing for 8 hours a day. It'd be a step down in benefits, but I think it'd be worth it. I hear back about that early next week... I'm way too anxious in this house right now.

So diapers. We only do prefolds, and Ezra's kind of in between sizes right now. The infants are too small, and you really have to double over the premiums which makes them way too bulky and bunch up in a wicked bad way. I just found these! http://www.thanksmama.com/OsoCozy_Bette ... bt-007.htm

They're shorter and wider - they're the absolute perfect fit without having to fold them over! They're softer than our indian prefolds too.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:01 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Has anyone tried Baby Kangas? I know a woman who has some, barely used for $100 (11 diapers, 11 double sided inserts & 9 hemp inserts) Is this a good deal? They seem like really nice diapers, but I really don't know anything about diapers (scary!)

*I am still only 13wks, should I not even worry about this until later?

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:20 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Momo wrote:
Has anyone tried Baby Kangas? I know a woman who has some, barely used for $100 (11 diapers, 11 double sided inserts & 9 hemp inserts) Is this a good deal? They seem like really nice diapers, but I really don't know anything about diapers (scary!)

*I am still only 13wks, should I not even worry about this until later?

I've never used them, but that sounds like a good deal! A quick Google tells me that they are pocket diapers. I can tell you that I LOVE my pocket dipes. I use BumGenius, but they sound similar. I have also heard that hemp inserts keep your child dry longer than cotton, so I would say it is a win. Some might say that 13 weeks is too early to worry about things like this, but I wish I had started sooner. The cost of baby things adds up quickly, so if you spread it out, it doesn't hit your purse so hard and all at once (:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:45 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I hope this hasn't been asked before but, my husband is not convinced that cloth is the way to go. His argument is that the environmental impact is probably the same with cloth, with all the water and energy used. We wouldn't really save money either, because we would go with a service (small apartment, no w/d).

If you take away the cost and environmental aspects, what else do you consider to be the benefits to cloth diapering?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:56 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Butternut wrote:
I hope this hasn't been asked before but, my husband is not convinced that cloth is the way to go. His argument is that the environmental impact is probably the same with cloth, with all the water and energy used. We wouldn't really save money either, because we would go with a service (small apartment, no w/d).

If you take away the cost and environmental aspects, what else do you consider to be the benefits to cloth diapering?

A good friend of mine recently switched from disposables to cloth at ~3 months because the disposables were, uh, not holding in their contents. Her reasons weren't financial or environmental (or, as she put it, "I'd club a baby seal to death with an elephant tusk and then burn it on a bed of money and lighter fluid if it meant that poop didn't get out and then magically went away.")

She's using mostly pockets and prefolds and laundering at home, but finds not having to launder extra pants all the time to be a decent tradeoff.

Some people notice that diaper rash is exacerbated by disposables (or, for that matter, cloth; sounds like it depends on the baby). One downside to cloth, I suppose, is that it's bulkier.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:03 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

yeah, the environmental aspect of cloth is only significant (if it's your only reason for choosing cloth) if you use a simple kind of diaper like prefolds or flats and covers, wash full loads with minimal rinses and hang dry. typical hot water, smaller load, dryer-dried AIOs, pockets etc only come out slightly ahead of typical disposables, according to an updated british study from a year or two ago.

it is very easy to use cloth part-time if you'd like to try it. flats and covers would be very much compatible with a laundromat scenario. they are super cheap and easy to use. you could have a couple dozen flats and use them when you are home, toss in a wetbag and wash with the rest of your clothes when you go to the laundromat. they dry very quickly too. prefolds take longer to wash but would also be a possibility. once my daughter started eating lots of solids and having solid once-a-day poops, i felt like our options really expanded. for any given part of the day, i can have her in a disposable, a prefold and cover, a prefold or flat with no cover or naked or in underpants. it doesn't have to be all disposables, all cloth or nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:40 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I think you will laugh: I just read your post and thought "solid once a day poops! So jealous!". The Emperor still often poops 4+ times a day and consistency is all over the place.

Even a diaper service will generally save you money over disposables. Those things... They're not cheap. That was a big part of our choice to go with cloth. You can google like cloth diaper cost calculator and I think you'll find a page to help you compare prices.

Some people think bulky diaper butt is a downside, but I love diaper butt and think it's super cute.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:23 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I know it's an environmental aspect, but the disposable diapers that we were in as babies are still in the landfills. They STILL EXIST. That's crazy to me, and I think anyone would have a hard time swallowing that, even if they say they're not interested in the environmental benefits.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:32 am 
Nooch of Earl

Well, the cloth diapers I was in as a baby still exist. My mom's used them as cleaning rags for years!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:26 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Lydia is 8 months old and now refuses to lie on her back for any length of time. She just squirms and squirms and tries to crawl away when I'm trying to change her. I think this is the hardest part of cloth diapering so far-- how the hell do I clean the poo off of a wriggly baby without getting poo everywhere and then get a clean prefold and cover on?? I soooo hope she stops pooping 3x a day. Blah.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:40 pm 
Inflexitarian

flavabean wrote:
I know it's an environmental aspect, but the disposable diapers that we were in as babies are still in the landfills. They STILL EXIST. That's crazy to me, and I think anyone would have a hard time swallowing that, even if they say they're not interested in the environmental benefits.

Yikes! That's a scary concept. I never thought of it like that but so true.

Thankfully I was cloth diapered so my diapers are still with me, literally, we use them for everything around the house now that I think of it, I wonder if I could use my old cloth diapers on my baby. Or would that just be too weird?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:11 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Thanks for the comments, folks. I was hoping someone felt like it was better for baby's skin or faster potty training, but anything from reality is appreciated.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1300 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 52  Next