| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: cloth diapering
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:34 pm 
Inflexitarian

Has anyone done cloth wipes? They intrigue me yet scare me. I saw some baby kicks hemp one's $14/12 and I thought it was a pretty good deal to use part-time but wasn't sure how practical they are from day to day, how they feel, and I would imagine you have to wet them at some point which seems like an extra hassle but a worthwhile one for the price. What are your thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:37 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I use cloth wipes and I love them. The ones I have are the cotton velour kind from Green Mountain Diapers and I think they were like a dollar a piece. What I do is mix distilled water with a tiny squirt of the Kissaluvs diaper potion, wet the wipes with that and fold them pop-up style into a warmer. They're great because each one is essentially a washcloth and does a MUCH better job of cleaning a messy bottom than a flimsy disposable wipe.

The only drawbacks for me are that the warmer only holds like a dozen wipes, so I have to make up a batch like every other day (not an issue if you don't use a warmer) and they're kind of bulky for using when you're out and about. I usually use disposable wipes when we're out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:41 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I made my own cloth wipes out of old t-shirts. I thought they were impractical in the newborn phase-- you just go through so many wipes that I couldn't keep them clean and handy. Maybe if you had a TON of them. I bet they'd be great once the poopocalypse slows down though.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:09 pm 
And you never will.

My sister gave me a mega-ton of cloth (flannel) wipes, so I've used them since poopiebaby was born. I do similar to Pinko, except I don't have a wipe warmer, I just put 'em in a tupperware and use them cold. I use cloth wipes for out and about too. I just put a squirt of Kissaluvs lotion potion in a peri bottle (if you don't know what this is, you will!) and fill it up with water and keep it in the diaper bag. It makes it super easy to wet wipes as needed on the go.

Honestly, if you're using cloth diapers, it's really not any more hassle to do cloth wipes as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:17 pm 
Semen Strong

coldandsleepy wrote:
poopocalypse

I am laughing hysterically at this and at the same time worried about what we got ourselves into....

My midwife was explaining that she doesn't like waterbirths because everyone poops in the tub, and my husband had the worst catbutt face ever. I don't think he realized that having babies meant there would be so much poo!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:24 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

i use cloth wipes too, i got 80 flannel wipes with serged edges from the diaper service, now some are worn, so between that and the 'poopacalypses' of newborn-hood i am glad i got so many. In the beginning, my husband needed 4 wipes for all dipes. it was insane. we have an old fashioned cofee-server- the kind with a pump top, i keep water in it for the wipes and wet them as i get things situated for a change. when he was a babe, i made sure it was warm twice a day, now i fill it maybe once a week?

oh, and several friends of mine have made their wipes out of recieving blankets- one girl got a bunch from thrift stores and just pinked the edges- no sewing!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:33 am 
Inflexitarian

coldandsleepy wrote:
I made my own cloth wipes out of old t-shirts. I thought they were impractical in the newborn phase-- you just go through so many wipes that I couldn't keep them clean and handy. Maybe if you had a TON of them. I bet they'd be great once the poopocalypse slows down though.

I am adding the word poopocalypse to my daily vocabulary.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:38 am 
Inflexitarian

Ok, you guys are completely blowing my mind today between the poopocalypse and the peri bottle (which kind of scares me, intrigues me and excites me all at the same time) and now I suddenly feel the urge to put a wipe warmer on my registry. Now the next big challenge, figuring out how many wipes I will need for the poopocalypse. I figure even if I get too much I can use them for other purposes like general cleanup later. I'm so excited...the things that excite me these days still amazes me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:55 am 
Inflexitarian

One more question (who am I kidding I have a thousand more questions, but i'll ask them one at a time), for those of you who use a warmer for your cloth diapers do you recommend a cloth diaper warmer or a regular pop up warmer. There's about a $10 difference between the two and although I'm leaning toward the cloth diaper warmer i defer to your expertise!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:15 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

GuineaPig wrote:
peri bottle (which kind of scares me, intrigues me and excites me all at the same time)

Yes the peri bottle! NOTE TO EVERYONE: TAKE IT HOME FROM THE HOSPITAL WITH YOU! Its perfect for squirting poop off cloth diapers into the toilet!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:29 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I have around 40 wipes. We have never run out. However, all babies have different pooping schedules so your needs may be different. I keep mine dry in a drawer and then spray them with water mixed with a bit of baby soap that I keep on the table - just a $2 plant spray bottle. Dash was a poop twice a week baby so I never really even needed as many wipes as I bought. Even now, he poops every other day and I wash diapers every other day so even if we go through four or five per poop we would never run out!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:28 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Yep, we've always done the cloth wipes. We have some of the fancy cloth wipes, like thirsties, which are really great (big and soft!) But the majority of our are baby washcloths. Those things are cheap and you get a ton of them at baby showers. It's good to put them to use! We just get them wet with warm water (sometimes I spray the bum if we're out and about, or after he poops). They just get washed with the dipes, easy peasy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:46 am 
Chip Strong

We have around 30 something wipes and haven't run out yet but have come close. There have only been a few days where Ada has pooped more than a couple of times. Most days its just once (but it's a massive amount!). We just throw the wipes in the wet bag with the diapers and it all gets washed every other day. As far as using the wipes, I just wet them in the sink and spray a bit of diaper spray on after.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:57 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I want to say we had maybe two dozen wipes to start with... For us that was like 6-12 changes. Or less than a day. We only had a washer and no dryer, and we were washing every other dayish. So we had half to a quarter as many as we needed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:08 am 
And you never will.

Holy moly, C&S! poopiebaby was a 1-2 times a day kinda baby, but even then we never needed more than 1 (maybe 2) wipe(s)! Whew, I'm counting my lucky stars on that one!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:22 pm 
Married to the wolfman

At almost two years old, the Emperor STILL frequently has days where he poops upwards of five times. That kid... He sure digests things.

I was counting pee changes too though. Am I the only person who wipes for pee changes?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:45 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Ezra poops once a day. Usually at 10:00am. On the dot. It's the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:47 pm 
Inflexitarian

coldandsleepy wrote:
I was counting pee changes too though. Am I the only person who wipes for pee changes?

I was planning on wiping for both, I mean, I wipe for both. What does everyone else do?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:45 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

We hardly ever wipe for pee. We usually just let him air dry for a few seconds before putting on a new diaper. This was spurred by reading that over-wiping can cause diaper rash. If he was a girl I would wipe after pee too though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:52 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I always wipe for pee. My understanding is the ammonia in urine is bad for their skin. (I don't use cloth wipes though, shame on me)

Also - newborn AIO monkey doodles on sale today for only $8.99! These were one of our favs for Kai - they were tiny enough to be the 1st to fit him, and never leaked at all. Hurry if you want em, they are selling out fast! http://www.greenbabybargains.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:44 am 
Level 7 Vegan

We use cloth wipes (from Green Mountain Diapers) that are smooth on one side and rough like a facecloth on the other. They are fantastic. In my opinion, disposable wipes don't have enough texture, especially for chunky poop. And they are soaked in who knows what, and you have to keep buying them when you run out. Reusable is so much easier, and if you're already washing diapers, it is no work at all to throw wipes in with them. Hell, I've even been known to use our cloth wipes as toilet paper in a pinch (#1 only).

I just run a wipe under the faucet (warm water) before I lay the babe down for a change. I do the same when we are in public if a sink is available, or I wet the wipes with a water bottle (or rain!), or I use disposable wipes if I must.

I always wipe for pee, but just with water. First thing in the morning and after poops I spray the wet wipes with kissaluvs potion/witch hazel.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:11 pm 
Inflexitarian

Aubade wrote:
I always wipe for pee. My understanding is the ammonia in urine is bad for their skin. (I don't use cloth wipes though, shame on me)

Also - newborn AIO monkey doodles on sale today for only $8.99! These were one of our favs for Kai - they were tiny enough to be the 1st to fit him, and never leaked at all. Hurry if you want em, they are selling out fast! http://www.greenbabybargains.com/

Thanks, there was literally one left and I bought it!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:15 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

JENNA wrote:
Yes the peri bottle! NOTE TO EVERYONE: TAKE IT HOME FROM THE HOSPITAL WITH YOU! Its perfect for squirting poop off cloth diapers into the toilet!

Dang, I wish I would have thought of this before leaving the hospital. I did take the generous duffle bag full of those weirdo mesh underwear, at least.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:50 pm 
Inflexitarian

Raspberry Swirl wrote:
JENNA wrote:

Dang, I wish I would have thought of this before leaving the hospital. I did take the generous duffle bag full of those weirdo mesh underwear, at least.

Making my list for the hospital bag...peri bottle check, weirdo mesh underwear check

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:11 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

also, steal all the washcloths too. that's what our stash of baby wipes is, primarily. they're just plain white washcloths, nice and big and good for poops, cleaning faces and random messes. maybe i should feel bad about stealing 2 dozen washcloths, but i was kind of bitter about the hospital and it made me feel better.

the other part of our stash is the bulk of those tiny flannel receiving blankets that everyone gives you, cut up into squares and just roughly hemmed with a zigzag stitch. for pee changes, i use the smaller flannel wipes. for poops, the washcloths win.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 53  Next