| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan Eats along the coast?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:10 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Any good ones? We are driving from Portland to Cannon Beach and then heading south and plan to do some camping. Trying to figure out if I should pack a huge cooler of food or if there will be options once we are on the road.

Post subject: Re: Vegan Eats along the coast?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:12 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Nah, pack a cooler kid.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:25 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Right on! That answers that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:48 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

On the old boards there was a thread about vegan food along the coast and there were some good ideas. I don't know how to search the old boards, but I know it is out there somewhere!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:52 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Boo, I don't know how to search them either. Thanks for the idea though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:29 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

There's a vegetarian bar/restaurant/sex shop in Lincoln City called Aunt Mary's Toaster Bistro http://www.filthycabbage.net/Menu.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:46 am 
Has gasoline in her veins

root wrote:
There's a vegetarian bar/restaurant/sex shop in Lincoln City called Aunt Mary's Toaster Bistro http://www.filthycabbage.net/Menu.html

That sounds frightening/unsanitary/gross. Maybe I'm just not adventurous, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:00 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

thisheregiraffe wrote:
root wrote:

That sounds frightening/unsanitary/gross. Maybe I'm just not adventurous, though.

Haha! That sounds amazing/intriguing/fun! We are def stopping here.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:41 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

JP's in Cannon Beach has a delicious vegan pasta and they will sell you delicious hummus to go. If you go on a Tuesday you can hit the farmer's market in midtown and grab delicious bread and veggies to eat with your hummus from JP's, also sold at the market. Otherwise, you can get (expensive) staples at Mariner Market in downtown. Avoid Sweet Basil's and Waves of Grain. In Manzanita, there is a killer little grocery store called Mother Nature's--you can stock up there--they always have at least one kind of vegan cookie available at their coffee bar and everything else you might want. Two blocks down is a little sandwich shop I love called Bread and Ocean that has tempeh and makes a most delicious vegetable sandwich. I haven't explored as much of the south coast, but I know there is an organic supermarket in Lincoln City.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:18 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Also, I believe the above post wins for the most uses of the word delicious in one paragraph. Oy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:29 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I have tried to find vegan stuff along the coast, no easy feat. I think JP's pasta is way over priced, but I agree, Sweet Basil sucks. Manzanita is a better stop for some staples. It's my favorite beach town for sure. Every time I go to the beach for a few days I make sure to bring all my food.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:14 am 
Saggy Butt

I stayed in Lincoln City and found a sweet little Thai place along the main drag with very tasty vegan food. But unfortunatly, I can't remember the name.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:17 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Cannon Beach (and JP's) is over-priced, of course, compared to a non-beach town. However, considering that the residents have to make their money during the tourist season and none in the winter, I think JP's price is reasonable. Plus it's delicious! Sweet Basil's says that they have vegan options, and they do have Field Roast, but they make their vegan sandwiches on a meaty grill. It is my belief also that they write false reviews on Happy Cow. Mariner Market in Cannon Beach is good if you are starving--they have hummus and olive spreads and veggies and a surprising variety of Bob's Red Mill stuff, but I agree with LVS that Manzanita is better for staples if you don't hit the CB Farmer's Market. Oh, also, the little coffee shop in Manzanita, Manzanita News and Espresso, I like that place!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:07 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Thanks everyone! I'm gonna have to write all of this down or print this out and save it. We are coming at the end of August. You all rock. I fear that I will love Oregon so much that I won't want to leave.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:33 am 
Huffs Nooch

I know someone mentioned to skip Sweet Basil, but I think they're very good. Just very expensive. They have an amazing coconut vegetable soup some days and their mushroom and tofu panini is my favorite. There is also a pizza place just down a few stores from Sweet Basil, I forget the name, Bella something. The organic coffee shop in Cannon Beach called 'Sleepy Monk' is also a great place to stop by.

While I agree the grocery store in Manzanita is good to stop at, just be prepared to pay more for things.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:37 pm 
One Trick Dick

My staples:

Coffee
Sleepy Monk in Cannon Beach
Green Salmon in Yachats

Food
Astoria Bistro/Coffeehouse
Columbia Cafe in Astoria (ask for a veganized chef's choice... trust me.)
Pizza a'Fetta in Cannon Beach (no cheese, of course)
Bill's Tavern in Cannon Beach for burgers and fries or hummus plates
Left Coast Burritos in Manzanita for subpar but filling/cheap burrito action
Bread and Ocean sandwiches are backed
Mother Nature's usually has a good variety of fresh hummus/salad-y items to go

Books
Cloud & Leaf in Manzanita, hands down my favorite bookstore. It's tiny, but it has an impeccable selection; I can't hype it enough.

Lodging
Inn at Haystack Rock in Cannon Beach, ~$100-150/night for a cabin-style room with jetted oversized tub. They run specials almost constantly, too.
Coast Cabins in Manzanita: strictly for ballers. There is probably down in their pillows and comforters, didn't think about that when we went. The bed in our cabin did, however, provide the most comfortable night of sleep I have ever experienced and opened my eyes to the joys of the world of high thread-counts. Prepare to spend $$$$$.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:39 pm 
One Trick Dick

heart.revolution wrote:
There is also a pizza place just down a few stores from Sweet Basil, I forget the name, Bella something.

You may be thinking of Pizza a'Fetta, which I mention above. So many infused olive oils!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:59 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

alan wrote:
heart.revolution wrote:
There is also a pizza place just down a few stores from Sweet Basil, I forget the name, Bella something.

You may be thinking of Pizza a'Fetta, which I mention above. So many infused olive oils!

I think their pizza crust is soggy! I tried to like it many times, but it is always floppy and wet in the middle.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:11 pm 
One Trick Dick

It's never been soggy for me, but it's definitely more of a Neopolitan style crust, softer/chewier.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:33 pm 
Huffs Nooch

alan wrote:
heart.revolution wrote:

Yes! That's the place! Their crust is good. But I have experienced a wetness factor in the middle of the pizza. Too many veggies I think and not thick enough in the middle. They're super nice though and I'm sure they can remedy that if asked.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:34 pm 
Chard Martyr

Thanks guys, this is super helpful for our upcoming Oregon coast trip! I haven't been to Cannon Beach since I was a kid, but we used to camp there every summer.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:42 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

See? Soggy! I agree, too many toppings for the thin crust. I am in the minority, but I preferred Fultano's. Mushroom, yumm.

Vijita, are you camping or hotel-ing this trip? If hotel, I recommend the Cannon Beach Hotel in midtown--cozy! Plus walkable, easily, to beach and downtown. There is a chance I can get you a discount at another posh place if you are interested. If camping, there is a campground out by the RV park and one in north Cannon Beach. I have friends in Manzanita and can find out about where they recommend staying if you like.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:48 pm 
Chard Martyr

celyn wrote:
Vijita, are you camping or hotel-ing this trip? If hotel, I recommend the Cannon Beach Hotel in midtown--cozy! Plus walkable, easily, to beach and downtown. There is a chance I can get you a discount at another posh place if you are interested. If camping, there is a campground out by the RV park and one in north Cannon Beach. I have friends in Manzanita and can find out about where they recommend staying if you like.

Most likely we'll be camping, so thanks for the tips! It'll be on the way-ish to Vida Vegan Con. We are often rogue campers (VW van hippies) but I appreciate cheap and convenient comfort as much as the next girl. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:02 pm 
One Trick Dick

vijita wrote:
celyn wrote:

Most likely we'll be camping, so thanks for the tips! It'll be on the way-ish to Vida Vegan Con. We are often rogue campers (VW van hippies) but I appreciate cheap and convenient comfort as much as the next girl. Thanks!

There's a campground at Nehalem Bay just south of Manzanita, a short beach walk into town. It's nice/cheap.

celyn wrote:
See? Soggy! I agree, too many toppings for the thin crust. I am in the minority, but I preferred Fultano's. Mushroom, yumm.

I haven't experienced the soggy factor, hmm... We tend to shy away from stuff like green peppers, though, which tend to bring higher water content to the table. It's also been a while since I've eaten there.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:25 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Anyone have any vegan-friendly delivery recs near Lincoln City? I'm here for a few days sans car, but not really long any main strip (Salashan). Fortunately, I brought some things with me...