| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan/green/eco friendly yarn shop?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:04 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

A lot of things have been happening in my life and I am really wanting to get myself started with an online shop that sells only green/vegan/recycled/organic/ethical yarns. Since I know many of you are knitters/crocheters/needleworkers, I would like to know what you would be looking for specifically. Would you shop from such a specific shop? Would recycled or reclaimed fibers (reclaimed cashmere, recycled wool, recycled sari silk) be appropriate for sale there?

Post subject: Re: Vegan/green/eco friendly yarn shop?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:11 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I have been looking for thicker yarns to try out. It seems like nice thick yarns for making a scarf or something is hard to find so I would visit an all vegan site for that rather then searching blindly all over. I'm not sure if I would use recycled animal fibers though, I would be concerned what others might think and also I don't like wool all that much anyway. I probably shouldn't care about what others think but I once brought up ethical yarn in a conversation with vegans and didn't get the best responses.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:25 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I am DYING for a shop like this. absolutely dying.

Even on Etsy, I can't ever find what I'm looking for. If I do, it's not vegan. It's ridic how there aren't more vegan/recycled yarns there.

I want chunky yarns, art yarns, tweed, and soft yarns. I got a 100% cotton yarn that I love from the local yarn shop but they didn't have much of it. It's amazing. It looks like this kind of like this in that there are big tufts separated by thinner twine http://www.yarn.com/webs-knitting-crochet-yarns-fiber-polyester/webs-knitting-crochet-yarns-rozetti-cocoon/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:24 pm 

In terms of chunkier/thicker yarns, are you looking more for natural fibers or for synthetics or blends? I know a lot of people do not like acrylics, so I always ask.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:34 pm 
<3

There is a vegan yarn shop on Etsy I have purchased from that I really like.

I think there could certainly be more shops out there. More and more people are looking for this.

As far as recycled wools and other animal product based yarns, I would not purchase them online. I may if I find some vintage yarn in a thrift shop that contains wool but that's about it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:21 pm 

iloveheeze wrote:
In terms of chunkier/thicker yarns, are you looking more for natural fibers or for synthetics or blends? I know a lot of people do not like acrylics, so I always ask.

I don't mind what it's made of as long as it can do what I want it to. I would prefer plant fibers over synthetic, but I end up buying synthetic more for the texture and color.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:31 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Ewww, I hate acrylic yarns. Although, that might be because my experience with acrylics is limited to that nasty cheap stuff that squeaks off your needles, bleh.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:21 am 

lamegs wrote:
Ewww, I hate acrylic yarns. Although, that might be because my experience with acrylics is limited to that nasty cheap stuff that squeaks off your needles, bleh.

Not all acrylic is that bad! It's more expensive, though not as expensive as wool yarn usually.

edit: I can't type on this computer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:49 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Oh cool, I need to try and get some then to see for myself. Any recommendations on where to buy some awesome acrylic yarn?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:40 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I'm not a fan of the idea of an otherwise shop selling recycled wool or other animal fibers because I just don't think wool is necessary! So many knitters fetishize wool and act like anyone who eschews animal fiber is inferior. I like to prove them wrong. Carrying wool just seems to say "you win!" Full disclosure, I do knit with Berroco Remix because it only has 10% recycled silk and it's such a silly marginal amount.

Though I do love the idea of a vegan yarn shop. I've thought of opening a brick and mortar vegan craft shop myself, but that will probably be something much later in life.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:14 am 
Naked Under Apron

i like the idea of a shop selling all vegan fiber. not into the idea of u-pcycled or recycled wool yarn.

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:26 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I would love to be able to find a wide array of natural fibers. I usually don't have trouble finding synthetic stuff, but having it all in one place would be great.

I still have a bunch of sheep and llama yarn, and I plan to use what I don't give away, but I am not looking forward to finding replacement yarns. Especially for lace, I am kindof at a loss. I do not like cotton for much besides wash cloths. Anyway, a shop like what you are proposing would be awesome.

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:35 pm 

Thanks for the feedback! I have found a few cool acrylics, but I think I'll stick with natural fibers. I'm probably going to do a soft launch with an etsy store or something within the next few months and then if I have a good response, I will kick it into high gear. I will keep you all updated as things progress.

And I plan on giving a discount out for ppk members. Just so you know.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:11 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I don't know if you would qualify for an etsy shop? Unless "supplies" doesn't have to be wholesale. I would check out their policies. Maybe Big Cartel would work for you?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:47 am 

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out and keep you all posted!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:42 am 

Nebraskalaska wrote:
I don't know if you would qualify for an etsy shop? Unless "supplies" doesn't have to be wholesale. I would check out their policies. Maybe Big Cartel would work for you?

I checked it out and it doesn't state that it has to be wholesale, so I should be okay. I am hoping to have something up and running within the next couple of weeks. It will pretty much just be organic cottons to start, but I promise to throw some cool stuff in there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:16 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I would love a vegan yarn shop! I use acrylic yarn, I don't have a problem with it as long as it's not too crappy. I like using plant-based fibers but I tend toward acrylic just cause it's cheaper.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:22 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

iloveheeze wrote:
Nebraskalaska wrote:

I checked it out and it doesn't state that it has to be wholesale, so I should be okay. I am hoping to have something up and running within the next couple of weeks. It will pretty much just be organic cottons to start, but I promise to throw some cool stuff in there.

awesome! looking forward to it.