| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Co-ops? [Boston/Cambridge]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:08 pm 
WELFARIST!

I was wondering if there were any other co-ops in the Cambridge area besides Harvest? I went there and I really didn't like it. The Boston area is good, too but the closer to Cambridge, the best.

Post subject: Re: Co-ops? [Boston/Cambridge]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:07 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I'm pretty sure Harvest is the only food co-op in the greater Boston area. What didn't you like about it? They're good at responding to customer feedback, so if it's something specific, talk to customer service or leave a note in the suggestion box.

If you can't see yourself shopping at Harvest, though, Cambridge also has Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Food Master, and Star Market.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:59 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yeah, I know about the other stores. Co-ops are what I was interested in though. When I went to Harvest it was really dirty, there was only about one person working there and it just looked like a regular grocery store but with less products.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:43 pm 
Tofu Pup

I totally know where you're coming from, Shankly. Harvest leaves a lot to be desired, especially with regards to its produce. I will say, however, that for certain items they are absolutely excellent. I go there for bulk spices and bulk grains, then I head over to Whole Foods for produce. The fruits and vegetables there are about the same price as at Harvest, but much better quality. It's a pain, but I usually spread my grocery shopping out between Harvest, Whole Foods, and Market Basket.

I realize that's not exactly what you were looking for with this post, but for certain things, I'd recommend giving Harvest another try.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:55 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

The best solution I found in Cambridge was Harvest Coop for bulk stuff and staples and produce delivered from Boston Organics. Oh, and I think that there is a farm that does a summer CSA drop-off there, but it may be too late to join for the year.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:46 pm 
WELFARIST!

What I really want it for is produce and the occasional specialty vegan item. I'm going to be living in a dorm or a school sponsored apartment/house so I won't need bulk or baking/cooking items. Just stuff for my dorm and for whenever I want some fresh produce.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:03 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I like Harvest's produce, and find them to be quite competitive with Whole Foods for pricing and selection. Do you guys do organic or conventional? Maybe that's the difference. I've found Whole Foods' selection of organic produce to be limited and unreliable at times, whereas I always know what will be available organic at Harvest.

We used to get Boston Organics delivery and it was great!