| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New England roadtrip on the cheap.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:22 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Next week my husband has a vacation week coming up so we've opted to explore the area of the world we're cosily nestled next to (we're in Quebec, 45 minutes from the US border).

These places made the cut (we're doing this over four days or so):

Portsmouth, NH

Salem, MA

Boston, MA

a detour briefly to Cape Cod

Fall River, MA (Lizzie Borden!)

and finally, Providence, RI.

I ask upon the genius/wisdom/kindness of PPKers for places to eat, to stay (as cheaply as possible) and things to see. Places to get a good beer wouldn't go amiss either, as well as farmer's markets.

Post subject: Re: New England roadtrip on the cheap.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:31 am 
ugh

Provincetown things:
- Tea dance!
- Kayaking is fun if the water isn't too rough (I like Ventures Athletics Kayak Shop)
- Vegan sorbet at The Purple Feather
- Vegan breakfast at Devon's
- Drag shows (The one I saw was called Goddesses of Illusion)
- Bradford Natural Market (natural food store w/prepared foods)

ETA: Sorry, you said Cape Cod not P-town.. but if you go there I guess this is useful. Cape Cod = Provincetown in my brain sometimes.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:01 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Nice Slice, vegan pizza, in Providence, RI, near Brown Univeristy was delicious. They don't use Daiya which I appreciate!

http://www.niceslice.com/

Breakfast in Providence:

http://www.juliansprovidence.com/

Have fun!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:36 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

healthyrunner wrote:
Breakfast in Providence:

http://www.juliansprovidence.com/

Have fun!

Yes! Also, Garden Grille if you're having a meal other than breakfast/brunch in Providence.

Do you have an idea of where you'd be on which days of the week? Things like farmer's markets are easier to tell you about if I know when you're coming this way.

(And by "a good beer," do you mean you're beer snobs? We're total beer snobs at my house and I could direct you to a few good places--or if it's just that you want NE-based brews, we can point you that way, too.)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:38 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

awww you aren't going to Portland, ME? There are vegan milkshakes here!

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:39 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

b.vicious wrote:
ETA: Sorry, you said Cape Cod not P-town.. but if you go there I guess this is useful. Cape Cod = Provincetown in my brain sometimes.

Dude. For all intents and purposes, Cape Cod = Provincetown. Not just in your brain.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:05 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

awww you aren't going to Portland, ME? There are vegan milkshakes here!

We're saving Portland for a special snowflake trip on all on its own in September!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:10 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Where's the milkshake place in Portland?

Portsmouth, NH
Madeline's organic Deli in the back of Portmouth Health Foods (takeout, healthy, yum)
The Juicery- fresh juice and awesome huge sandwiches (takeout and cash only) my fav. spot for summer days
Beer and a few yummy vegan things at The Portsmouth Brewery!
The Friendly Toast (good breakfast choice)....essential Portsmouth...dirty and delicious
Burritos at Dos Amigos!
Bagelworks (good breakfast choice) simple, tofutti spread, etc..

New place....STREET......a little out of the downtown but pretty cool (ask someone (its near the button factory))

awesome coffee shop with many alt. milks...Cafe Kilim (also off the main strip but barely)

*Things to see*
around Portsmouth there are lots of parks and forts to walk around and beaches to hit up
in Port. you can stroll around Prescott Park and there might be something happening at the stage
Farmers Market on Sat. at the Town Hall.....Farmers and Art Market Sunday at Strawberry Bank.

Weeeeee!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:38 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

purpllle wrote:
Bagelworks (good breakfast choice) simple, tofutti spread, etc..

New place....STREET......a little out of the downtown but pretty cool (ask someone (its near the button factory))

awesome coffee shop with many alt. milks...Cafe Kilim (also off the main strip but barely)

how do I not know any of these places? i lived in kittery for a year and a half!

speaking of kittery (right next to p'mouth) they have loco coco taco and they're vegan friendly - i had a vegan cashier the one time i went and she told me what was vegan on the menu and what off the menu stuff they had to eat. and if you're there on a tuesday (it used to be tuesdays) then the rising tide health food store gets vegan "egg" rolls in! they also had soups and salads and stuff prepared to go but i haven't been there in a year and a half.

purp - do you happen to know if the bagel caboose cream cheese is vegan and if the hot dog place's hot dogs are vegan? i tried to find out but failed somehow.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:10 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

purpllle wrote:
Where's the milkshake place in Portland?

Silly's has vegan and vegan/soy free milkshakes.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:00 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I have never heard of Silly's! will have to check it out

Appifanie- I think the tofu spread stuff at the caboose is vegan I don't think to go there much though so i don't know......annnd i've never considered the hot dog place
Coco's guac has dairy..this upsets me..but the burritos are still decent without, even though they don't even have a veggie one on the menu (whhyyy)
anyway yeah there's a pretty good selection around here (if only we could have a whole foods)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:10 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys, but we are postponing the roadtrip until the end of September due to serious budget restraints (boo!). But I look forward to checking these places out!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:39 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

in Boston there is a Asian vegan resteraunt that I LOVE called the Grasshopper. it's actually in Allston not Boston but meh same thing.

http://grasshoppervegan.com/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:34 am 
Saggy Butt

LisaPunk wrote:
in Boston there is a Asian vegan resteraunt that I LOVE called the Grasshopper. it's actually in Allston not Boston but meh same thing.

http://grasshoppervegan.com/

And a couple doors down from that is Peace O' Pie: http://peaceopie.com/

It's really easy to eat vegan in Salem, too. If you still decide to make it part of your stop in the end of September though, beware that there will be A LOT of tourism/halloween-y stuff going on at that time.

Places to remember in Salem:
Café Kushco (soy frozen yogurt, pick your own mix-ins. Their Falafel is so-so, but large portions)
Jaho Coffee (Frozen bubble tea)
Coven Café (best soy latte I have ever tasted)
New England Soup Factory (lunch counter, cheap. Usually have a vegan soup and sides)
Boston Hot Dog Company (lunch counter, cheap. Veggie dogs and SIX kinds of vegan sausage)

Most restaurants have at least one vegan option, or easily veganizable option on the menu, too. The places that don't are usually the restaurants that are trying to hard to attract "foodies/locavores/whatever the current term is."

ETA: if you have any other questions about Salem, let me know.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:54 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

when you do make it down, right next door to Garden Grille is their vegan bakery/coffee shop, Wildflour-http://www.wildflourveganbakerycafe.com/

and the bbq seitan sandwiches at United BBQ are super duper- http://www.unitedbbq.com/home.php

On the same street as Nice Slice (Thayer Street), you will also find http://www.kabobandcurry.com/, an Indian restaurant that has vegan items marked on their menu as well as East Side Pockets which has really good Falafel, when you order, just ask for no dairy and they will leave it off for you.

oh! and there is an Ethiopian place that just opened recently, we haven't had a chance to get over there but their veggie options are vegan- http://abyssinia-restaurant.com/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:08 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Devon's has Vegan Breakfast? How did I not know this? I work here for crying out loud!!! I second the vote for Bradford Street Market - get the Lesley if they have it; tofu, brown rice, veggies and spicy peanut sauce on a wrap.

Orleans (Cape Cod's elbow) has a great Thai place (Bangkok Cuisine) with loads of veg options, and they will always remove egg and fish sauce from any of their non-veg dishes. I recommend their curries, which are awesome, huge and about $10. And they do veggie sushi, if you have a hankering. You should also try the veggie options at Inaho in Yarmouthport on 6A. Also in Orleans, check out the health food market on Main Street for sandwiches and soups etc. And, finally, Jo Mamas Bagels in Orleans on 6A has Tofutti cream cheese...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:06 am 
ugh

Wallace22 wrote:
Devon's has Vegan Breakfast?

Vegan French toast, tofu scrambles, breakfast patties, tempeh bacon!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:44 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

French toast! b.vicious you just made my day!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:16 pm 
Tofu Pup

There is a very vegan friendly cafe in Salem called Coven. They have Vegan Reubens, VLT's with veganaisse, vegetable panini, vegan quiche, brownies, muffins & cupcakes, vegan and non vegan. There is a make your own salad menu where you can choose your toppings and dressing. For breakfast, though it isn't on the menu, they do a tofu scramble and will do vegan french toast. They also have specials like Vegan Eggplant Parm and Spicy Peanut & Sweet Potato Soup. They are right on Essex Street near the ymca.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:25 pm 
Tofu Pup

Moonchylde wrote:
There is a very vegan friendly cafe in Salem called Coven. They have Vegan Reubens, VLT's with veganaisse, vegetable panini, vegan quiche, brownies, muffins & cupcakes, vegan and non vegan. There is a make your own salad menu where you can choose your toppings and dressing. For breakfast, though it isn't on the menu, they do a tofu scramble and will do vegan french toast. They also have specials like Vegan Eggplant Parm and Spicy Peanut & Sweet Potato Soup. They are right on Essex Street near the ymca.

Does anyone happen to know of a Vegan Restaurant in the Burlingham area? Just wondering?