| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 704 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:21 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I had a Mirena in for a year. It was a horrible experience putting it in, and the whole year I had it it caused nothing but problems, pain, and serious health issues.
I hate hate hate Mirena IUDs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:38 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

walrus wrote:
aelle wrote:
Oh and I have a Mirena, got it in March 09. I haven never been pregnant and do want children some day ; my idea was that since I travel a lot I wanted a means of contraception that was not doctor dependent.
Now I have drawn out but very light periods, too light to use my cup except for 2 days. I kept my strings long, and they tickle my partner but not in a bad way. The only bad thing is that now, just before my period, I get cervix cramps on top of good ol' uterine cramps, and they suck.

Huh, my gyno said that I shouldn't use my cup to be safe. You use yours and don't feel it pulling on your Mirena? My fear is the suction will pull it right out! Which probably won't happen, but I can't help but think it will!

Never had any problems. From what I understand, the worry is that you could pinch your threads at the same time you pinch your cup and pull both out? My threads have always just laid there, never got pinched with anything, and I'm never forceful to remove my cup. Also, I think I'd feel it if something was starting to get pulled out of my cervix.

vijita wrote:
You just freaked me out! I also have the Nova-T, which I thought was identical to the Paraguard, and thus fine to leave in for years. But I just looked it up on rxmeds and it says 30 months! (!!) I've had mine for about four years. I know it's still working and all, but now I'm paranoid.

I think there are 2 kinds of Nova-T: Nova T 200 and Nova T 380 (the numbers refer to the copper surface, in mm²). Nova T 200 has been removed from the market in several countries (according to the internet, Canada included??) because of its low efficiency. WHO studies have shown that the Nova T 200 reaches a failure rate of 6% after 3 to 5 years of use, which for an IUD is really high. So if it's the kind you have, I would definitely change it to a more efficient one after the 3 year mark. Apparently the Flexi-T 300 and Flexi-T380 are available in Canada too. The first one is smaller and easier to fit on childless women.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:15 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

oh! I have the 300. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:31 am 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I've had a Mirena for almost five years now. It expires in March and I'll have to get it replaced!

Even though I have no sex life to speak of and haven't for over a year at this point, I still intend to just get the current one yanked out and a new one put in at the same time because quite frankly... I love my Mirena. Love love LOVE it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:58 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Mine's a ParaGard. It's just fine. After the first three months or so I've had no issues, and even in the first three months, the issues were minor, like a bloated feeling and occasional weird cramps. I did start bleeding more, and have had to switch from a small to a large LadyCup, but I don't cramp much anymore at all. Most periods I get no cramps, and before the ParaGard, I did have cramps, though never too bad.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:23 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I've had Mirena for about 3 years now. It hurt like a sonuvabitch when they put it in, but it was nothing compared to pushing out my son.

I'm down with the IUD. I think I'll get a new one when this one's time is up.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:25 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Mirena!!! I got mine due to fibroids... no more ultra super duper tampons for me. Just a few skinny mini ones or those underwear liners. I think it made me fatter. I would like to blame it!

3 years??????

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:18 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I've had a Nova-T (not sure which #) for a year. The insertion was painful but only very briefly, nothing that should stop most people from getting it. The cramps were worse for just a few months. I spot around 2 weeks a month still, though, which isn't totally awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

yay, IUD thread!

though, if you ever read the old 'IUD in my backpack thread', you may recall that mine took oh, a year to adjust to. bleeding, cramping, weird bleeding, countless check ups, etc. - I still think it's worth it!

now, I'm on what? year 3? 4? and a few more to go! I don't feel it, and while I now, have super heavy periods (like, 2 pads at once) for 2-3 days, it then really fades out and again, is worth it!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:27 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I can't decide if this thread has made me more or less intimidated by the idea of getting an IUD. I'd definitely get the non-hormonal copper version (if I wanted extra hormones in my body, I'd just take BC), but I'm really, really bothered by the idea of spotting in between periods and of my (extremely predictable, 4-day) periods being longer/heavier.

I guess it's a preferable option to using condoms for the next six years (til I turn 30 and would have an easier time finding someone to tie my tubes) though, since I'm adamantly opposed to the idea of hormonal BC and also to the idea of ever being pregnant under any circumstances...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:46 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

kale is your friend wrote:
I can't decide if this thread has made me more or less intimidated by the idea of getting an IUD. I'd definitely get the non-hormonal copper version (if I wanted extra hormones in my body, I'd just take BC), but I'm really, really bothered by the idea of spotting in between periods and of my (extremely predictable, 4-day) periods being longer/heavier.

I guess it's a preferable option to using condoms for the next six years (til I turn 30 and would have an easier time finding someone to tie my tubes) though, since I'm adamantly opposed to the idea of hormonal BC and also to the idea of ever being pregnant under any circumstances...

I got mine so I would NOT have heavy periods and it works! My husband had a vasectomy so we are doubly insured not to have children!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:14 am 
Level 7 Vegan

kale is your friend wrote:

I was exactly like you before getting my Paragard: using condoms, not keen on hormonal birth control, with extremely predictable 4-day periods. I'm one of those people for whom the "worst case scenario" often comes true, so I was a little nervous about what would happen. Not that you'll have the exact same experience as me, but if it's any comfort, I've had almost no spotting, and my 2 periods since insertion have been on time and only one day longer.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:36 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I've been thinking about getting an iud for a while. I get ultra serious depression when i get my periods so i am currently taking the pill so that i only get my period 4x a your. The spotting was really bad for the first between the first and second periods but now i'm finishing up my 3rd period for this year and it wasn't that bad at all. The thing i don't like about birth control is that when i get sick and have to be on antibiotics it negates the pill and i could get pregnant. Now we are careful but the thought of getting pregnant scares me - i already have one child. that is enough for us. An IUD would be more permanent, and as i understand less affected by other antibiotics. I may have to make an apt with my dr and ask about it. I'm concerned about getting more frequent periods but maybe there is another way we can address the period related depression i get.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:09 am 
Waited in a line late at night for some stuff

Jessiegirl, if you're not averse to hormonal BC, you can get the Mirena and it will reduce your periods. I was told to expect the spotting for up to six months, but there's a good chance it'll make your periods go away completely. I would definitely recommend talking to your doctor about it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:38 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Hapax Legomenon wrote:
Jessiegirl, if you're not averse to hormonal BC, you can get the Mirena and it will reduce your periods. I was told to expect the spotting for up to six months, but there's a good chance it'll make your periods go away completely. I would definitely recommend talking to your doctor about it.

Agree. Sounds like you are taking seasonique? Mirena is hormonal too, but releases 1/7th the amount of hormones. And it is released directly into the lining of the womb instead of the bloodstream.

I still havent had a period since I got it about 2 months ago. I have a feeling I probably won't even spot. No mood swings, headaches, nothing. It might be a good choice for you.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:48 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

graffitipassion wrote:
Mirena is hormonal too, but releases 1/7th the amount of hormones. And it is released directly into the lining of the womb instead of the bloodstream.

I was just going to reiterate this. Hormones in your reproductive system, not going to your brain. Uh huh uh huh.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:57 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I will definitely be making an appointment for next week sometime. With the current birth control i feel like i've been spotting more than not so it wont be any different but will relieve some of the worry. Last time i got pregnant i was using a condom. i just don't want the trend will continue and get pregnant while on birth control.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:57 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I just got the Mirena put in a few weeks ago. I don't have any kids, and the thing hurt like a bisque. However, it only took a few minutes, and the residual cramps were gone in a few hours (and they were nothing compared to cramps I've had in the past). I chose Mirena over the copper IUD because there is a chance of periods stopping all together. Not a high chance, but a chance. And if I might be able to just get rid of my damn period, then I'm going for it.

I did have some trouble getting one when I first tried to. I was using the free clinic in town to get birth control and they refused to give an IUD to someone without kids. But now that I have real (read: not grad student) insurance, my new doctor was all about it. In fact, every one of the doctors and nurses (probably six all together) that I talked to while trying to get this said they have an IUD and love it. I'm hoping to love mine a year from now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:23 am 
Level 7 Vegan

radioactivegan wrote:
I did have some trouble getting one when I first tried to. I was using the free clinic in town to get birth control and they refused to give an IUD to someone without kids.

That sucks and I don't understand it. Is it because they don't feel they have the skills to put it in without the opened up uterus?

I got mine for free at Planned Parenthood. The doctor started explaining how the Mirena was typically for women whove had a child, or menopausal women, ect. And she stopped talking and I said, "I don't understand. Are you saying I shouldn't get it?" And she said "Oh no! I want you to get whatever you are comfortable with!! I'l put the Mirena in for you anytime!"

Maybe different clinics have different policies?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:28 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Actually, I just found a good article on Jezebel on why doctors don't typically want to give IUDs to childless women:

http://jezebel.com/5325783/why-women-dont-get-iuds

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:48 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Do most US insurance policies cover IUD?

I was about to get one when my GYN told me my insurance refused to cover it and it would cost me $800 out of pocket. I thought about calling up my insurance company, but figured it would probably be a waste of time. The hormonal pills give me migraines, so it's been all condoms this year.

It seems like IUDs are much more standard in Europe and Asia.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:34 am 
Level 7 Vegan

soyaspade wrote:

I was about to get one when my GYN told me my insurance refused to cover it and it would cost me $800 out of pocket. I thought about calling up my insurance company, but figured it would probably be a waste of time. The hormonal pills give me migraines, so it's been all condoms this year.

Some do, some don't. And some insurance companies (like mine) will cover it AFTER you've paid your deductible, which is useless if your deductible is high.

However, I thin some doctors and/or insurance companies make exceptions depending on what kind of IUD you get. Some companies will pay for one type of IUD and not the other, or will pay for insertion and not the IUD, or vice versa. Call your insurance company! Worst case scenario, they just confirm what your doctor said. Best case, you're covered!

Also, a lot of women end up getting theirs inserted at Planned Parenthood if their insurance won't cover it, because it's cheaper than a clinic.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:10 am 
protein lump

vegetalion wrote:
soyaspade wrote:

Some do, some don't. And some insurance companies (like mine) will cover it AFTER you've paid your deductible, which is useless if your deductible is high.

However, I thin some doctors and/or insurance companies make exceptions depending on what kind of IUD you get. Some companies will pay for one type of IUD and not the other, or will pay for insertion and not the IUD, or vice versa. Call your insurance company! Worst case scenario, they just confirm what your doctor said. Best case, you're covered!

Also, a lot of women end up getting theirs inserted at Planned Parenthood if their insurance won't cover it, because it's cheaper than a clinic.

yes.

my insurance would cover the mirena fully. the hormones make it fall under my prescription plan. but i didn't want hormones so i got the paraguard. just the insertion and removal are covered because it is considered a device and my insurance doesn't cover devices. lame.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:34 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

soyaspade wrote:

I have Kaiser and my Mirena was covered 100%.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:17 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I've had the ParaGard for nearly two years. I love it. The insertion was somewhere between a cramp and an ovary bonk. I popped in my Diva Cup and was good to go. I had the potential cramp feeling brewing for the first three days with occasional instances of brief, intense cramps. After that, it's been great.

Insurance covered it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 704 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next